* how to debug xen
@ 2011-01-31 19:41 holmes
From: holmes @ 2011-01-31 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Hi all,
I am new to Xen. I want to debug xen. So I have few questions here. If anybody can help me, I'd appreciate it.
1: My system is ubuntu 8.04. I download the xen-3.4.2 source code from xen website. After I "make world", it will download the linux-2.6.18-xen.hg (kernel?).  Also it will make many other folders (./dist). I found blkfront.c in both ./linux-2.6.18-xen.hg/drivers/xen/blkfront folder and ./dist/install/lib/modules/2.6.18.8-xen/source/drivers/xen/blkfront/ folder. So, what's the difference of the two folders and what are they doing?
2: if I want to log the activities (read/write block) information in domU(winxp), how do I log it? For example, if domU read a block, I therefore print a information into a log file (like "domU read"). Should I change something in blkfront.c file? If so, which one should I change, because there are two blkfront.c.
3: if I want to log the information, I GUESS (not sure) I should use log.debug (or else) to log the info. into some log files. How should I do? Can anyone give me suggestion?

Thanks!!
John Huang

* Re: how to debug xen
@ 2011-01-31 20:18 ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2011-01-31 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: holmes; +Cc: xen-devel

On Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 03:41:02AM +0800, holmes wrote:
>    Hi all,
>    I am new to Xen. I want to debug xen. So I have few questions here. If
>    anybody can help me, I'd appreciate it.
>    1: My system is ubuntu 8.04. I download the xen-3.4.2 source code from xen
>    website. After I "make world", it will download the linux-2.6.18-xen.hg
>    (kernel?).  Also it will make many other folders (./dist). I found
>    blkfront.c in both ./linux-2.6.18-xen.hg/drivers/xen/blkfront folder and
>    ./dist/install/lib/modules/2.6.18.8-xen/source/drivers/xen/blkfront/
>    folder. So, what's the difference of the two folders and what are they
>    doing?

dist/ is the directory where stuff lands after successful build,
ie. you can copy from dist/ to / to install xen.

>    2: if I want to log the activities (read/write block) information in
>    domU(winxp), how do I log it? For example, if domU read a block, I
>    therefore print a information into a log file (like "domU read"). Should I
>    change something in blkfront.c file? If so, which one should I change,
>    because there are two blkfront.c.
>    3: if I want to log the information, I GUESS (not sure) I should use
>    log.debug (or else) to log the info. into some log files. How should I do?
>    Can anyone give me suggestion?

blkfront is the *frontend* driver for Linux, so a Linux domU running 2.6.18-xen
would use it to access the virtual disks.

You need to check blkback (blkbk) driver! That's the one running in dom0
providing virtual disks for vms.

-- Pasi

* Re:Re: how to debug xen
@ 2011-01-31 20:39 ` holmes
From: holmes @ 2011-01-31 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pasi Kärkkäinen; +Cc: xen-devel

Hi Pasi,

Thank you! Can you tell me how to log the activities here? Give me few codes or hints?
BTW, can I use printf or what else to do the log thing?
Thanks!
At 2011-01-31 15:18:58,"Pasi Kärkkäinen" <pasik@iki.fi> wrote:
>On Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 03:41:02AM +0800, holmes wrote:
>>    Hi all,
>>    I am new to Xen. I want to debug xen. So I have few questions here. If
>>    anybody can help me, I'd appreciate it.
>>    1: My system is ubuntu 8.04. I download the xen-3.4.2 source code from xen
>>    website. After I "make world", it will download the linux-2.6.18-xen.hg
>>    (kernel?).  Also it will make many other folders (./dist). I found
>>    blkfront.c in both ./linux-2.6.18-xen.hg/drivers/xen/blkfront folder and
>>    ./dist/install/lib/modules/2.6.18.8-xen/source/drivers/xen/blkfront/
>>    folder. So, what's the difference of the two folders and what are they
>>    doing?
>

>dist/ is the directory where stuff lands after successful build,
>ie. you can copy from dist/ to / to install xen.
>

>>    2: if I want to log the activities (read/write block) information in
>>    domU(winxp), how do I log it? For example, if domU read a block, I
>>    therefore print a information into a log file (like "domU read"). Should I
>>    change something in blkfront.c file? If so, which one should I change,
>>    because there are two blkfront.c.
>>    3: if I want to log the information, I GUESS (not sure) I should use
>>    log.debug (or else) to log the info. into some log files. How should I do?
>>    Can anyone give me suggestion?
>>

>blkfront is the *frontend* driver for Linux, so a Linux domU running 2.6.18-xen
>would use it to access the virtual disks.
>
>You need to check blkback (blkbk) driver! That's the one running in dom0
>providing virtual disks for vms.
>
>-- Pasi

* Re: Re: how to debug xen
@ 2011-02-01 16:09   ` Jiang Wang
From: Jiang Wang @ 2011-02-01 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: holmes; +Cc: xen-devel

Hi,

I think you can use xentrace or xenmon. Google them. Following is one
link about them:

http://jianggmulab.blogspot.com/2009/03/xentrace-xenmon.html

Regards,

Jiang