* static tracepoints - sdt.h vs. lttng
@ 2016-09-06 23:39 Milian Wolff
From: Milian Wolff @ 2016-09-06 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-perf-users

Hey all,

perf now has support for sdt.h static userland trace points, which is really
great. But I wonder, where can I find documentation on using it for custom
data types, like UTF16 strings, or custom structs? The Kernel seems to have
some custom API, can I leverage that also in userland?

The LTTNG-UST trace point API is much clearer in that regard:

http://lttng.org/man/3/lttng-ust/v2.7/

Which clearly supports arbitrary data types. But that is not supported by
perf, right?

How do other projects handle this?

Thanks
--