* Is audit=1 still required for RHEL 7?
@ 2015-01-06 18:54 Erinn Looney-Triggs
From: Erinn Looney-Triggs @ 2015-01-06 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-audit

I have been digging around trying to find the answer to the above, hopefully I
didn't miss something obvious. It was for RHEL < 7 is it still for RHEL 7? Or
has systemd done some magic to remove that need?

-Erinn

[-- Attachment #1.2: This is a digitally signed message part. --]

* Re: Is audit=1 still required for RHEL 7?
@ 2015-01-06 19:13 ` Steve Grubb
From: Steve Grubb @ 2015-01-06 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-audit; +Cc: Erinn Looney-Triggs

On Tuesday, January 06, 2015 11:54:37 AM Erinn Looney-Triggs wrote:
> I have been digging around trying to find the answer to the above, hopefully
> I didn't miss something obvious. It was for RHEL < 7 is it still for RHEL
> 7? Or has systemd done some magic to remove that need?

AFAIK, all linux kernels from all distributions have the same need. What that
flag does is enable the audit system. When the audit system is enabled and
every time there is a fork, the TIF_AUDIT flag is added to the process. This
make the process auditable.

Without this flag, the process cannot be audited...ever. So, if systemd was to
do some magic (and it doesn't), then systemd itself would not be auditable nor
any process it creates until audit became enabled.

-Steve

* Re: Is audit=1 still required for RHEL 7?
@ 2015-01-06 19:16   ` Erinn Looney-Triggs
From: Erinn Looney-Triggs @ 2015-01-06 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Grubb; +Cc: linux-audit

On Tuesday, January 06, 2015 02:13:27 PM Steve Grubb wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 06, 2015 11:54:37 AM Erinn Looney-Triggs wrote:
> > I have been digging around trying to find the answer to the above,
> > hopefully I didn't miss something obvious. It was for RHEL < 7 is it
> > still for RHEL 7? Or has systemd done some magic to remove that need?
>
> AFAIK, all linux kernels from all distributions have the same need. What
> that flag does is enable the audit system. When the audit system is enabled
> and every time there is a fork, the TIF_AUDIT flag is added to the process.
> This make the process auditable.
>
> Without this flag, the process cannot be audited...ever. So, if systemd was
> to do some magic (and it doesn't), then systemd itself would not be
> auditable nor any process it creates until audit became enabled.
>
> -Steve

Thanks Steve, I just wanted to check, I couldn't find anything explicitly
mentioning this. I think I'll open a bug for the SCAP security guide about
this.

@ 2015-01-08 10:12     ` Burak Gürer
From: Burak Gürer @ 2015-01-08 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erinn Looney-Triggs, Steve Grubb; +Cc: linux-audit

Hi everyone!

first of all sorry for my bad english!

i could not accomplish to get rid of from auid=4294967295 issue

i have implemented that suggestions:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-audit/2010-June/msg00002.html
https://people.redhat.com/sgrubb/audit/audit-faq.txt

but not succeed.
is there any other reasons or solutions?

by the way suggestions in the links, is it important to where we put the
suggested confs:

e.g. which line to put "audit=1"
or which line to put "session required pam_loginuid.so"

and further are kernel or audit package versions important?

If anyone can help with this it will be very helpful.

Regards,

@ 2015-01-08 13:03       ` Steve Grubb
From: Steve Grubb @ 2015-01-08 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: burak4burak, linux-audit

On Thursday, January 08, 2015 12:12:14 PM Burak Gürer wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> first of all sorry for my bad english!
>
> i could not accomplish to get rid of from auid=4294967295 issue
>
> i have implemented that suggestions:
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-audit/2010-June/msg00002.html
> https://people.redhat.com/sgrubb/audit/audit-faq.txt
>
> but not succeed.
> is there any other reasons or solutions?

There is a chance that --with-audit or --enable-audit was not used in the
configuration of the utilities. I can't say for certain without knowing more
about your distribution.

> by the way suggestions in the links, is it important to where we put the
> suggested confs:
>
> e.g. which line to put "audit=1"

That is a kernel boot parameter.

> or which line to put "session required pam_loginuid.so"

This would go into the pam configuration of system entry points. For example,
it would be in /etc/pam.d/login. But it would NOT go into /etc/pam.d/system-
auth or /etc/pam.d/su. This should already be configured by your distribution
and you shouldn't need to adjust it.

> and further are kernel or audit package versions important?

Yes. But not to the two questions you ask above. More important is whether or
not auditing is enabled in the packages by your distribution. The audit
facilities from your question has been available almost 10 years. So, I wonder
if auditing is enabled.

-Steve

@ 2015-01-08 13:33         ` Burak Gürer
From: Burak Gürer @ 2015-01-08 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Grubb, linux-audit

On 08-01-2015 15:03, Steve Grubb wrote:
> On Thursday, January 08, 2015 12:12:14 PM Burak Gürer wrote:
>> Hi everyone!
>>
>> first of all sorry for my bad english!
>>
>> i could not accomplish to get rid of from auid=4294967295 issue
>>
>> i have implemented that suggestions:
>>
>> https://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-audit/2010-June/msg00002.html
>> https://people.redhat.com/sgrubb/audit/audit-faq.txt
>>
>> but not succeed.
>> is there any other reasons or solutions?
> There is a chance that --with-audit or --enable-audit was not used in the
> configuration of the utilities. I can't say for certain without knowing more
> about your distribution.
distrubution is:

[root@test /root]# lsb_release -a
LSB Version:
:core-3.1-amd64:core-3.1-ia32:core-3.1-noarch:graphics-3.1-amd64:graphics-3.1-ia32:graphics-3.1-noarch
Distributor ID:    RedHatEnterpriseServer
Release:    5.2
Codename:    Tikanga
>> by the way suggestions in the links, is it important to where we put the
>> suggested confs:
>>
>> e.g. which line to put "audit=1"
> That is a kernel boot parameter.
is this correct?:

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sda2
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/sda
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server (2.6.18-92.el5)
     root (hd0,0)
     kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-92.el5 ro root=LABEL=/ *audit=1* rhgb quiet
     initrd /initrd-2.6.18-92.el5.img
>> or which line to put "session required pam_loginuid.so"
> This would go into the pam configuration of system entry points. For example,
> it would be in /etc/pam.d/login. But it would NOT go into /etc/pam.d/system-
> auth or /etc/pam.d/su. This should already be configured by your distribution
> and you shouldn't need to adjust it.
>
>> and further are kernel or audit package versions important?
> Yes. But not to the two questions you ask above. More important is whether or
> not auditing is enabled in the packages by your distribution. The audit
> facilities from your question has been available almost 10 years. So, I wonder
> if auditing is enabled.
so how can i check if auditing is enabled?

@ 2015-01-08 14:13           ` Steve Grubb
From: Steve Grubb @ 2015-01-08 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: burak4burak; +Cc: linux-audit

Hello,

On Thursday, January 08, 2015 03:33:08 PM Burak Gürer wrote:
> On 08-01-2015 15:03, Steve Grubb wrote:
> > On Thursday, January 08, 2015 12:12:14 PM Burak Gürer wrote:
> >> Hi everyone!
> >>
> >> first of all sorry for my bad english!
> >>
> >> i could not accomplish to get rid of from auid=4294967295 issue
> >>
> >> i have implemented that suggestions:
> >>
> >> https://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-audit/2010-June/msg00002.html
> >> https://people.redhat.com/sgrubb/audit/audit-faq.txt
> >>
> >> but not succeed.
> >> is there any other reasons or solutions?
> >
> > There is a chance that --with-audit or --enable-audit was not used in the
> > configuration of the utilities. I can't say for certain without knowing
> > more about your distribution.
>
> distrubution is:
>
> [root@test /root]# lsb_release -a
>
> LSB Version:
> :core-3.1-amd64:core-3.1-ia32:core-3.1-noarch:graphics-3.1-amd64:graphics-3.
> :1-ia32:graphics-3.1-noarch
> Distributor ID:    RedHatEnterpriseServer
> Release:    5.2
> Codename:    Tikanga

OK. Then I know that auditing is enabled in everything possible.

> >> by the way suggestions in the links, is it important to where we put the
> >> suggested confs:
> >>
> >> e.g. which line to put "audit=1"
> >
> > That is a kernel boot parameter.
>
> is this correct?:
>
> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
> #
> # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
> # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
> #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
> #          root (hd0,0)
> #          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sda2
> #          initrd /initrd-version.img
> #boot=/dev/sda
> default=0
> timeout=5
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> hiddenmenu
> title Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server (2.6.18-92.el5)
>      root (hd0,0)
>      kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-92.el5 ro root=LABEL=/ *audit=1* rhgb quiet

Yes, this is correct, assuming that the '*' was added just for emphasis but is
absent in the real file. That must be in place for each bootable kernel for it
to universally work.

>      initrd /initrd-2.6.18-92.el5.img
>
> >> or which line to put "session required pam_loginuid.so"
> >
> > This would go into the pam configuration of system entry points. For
> > example, it would be in /etc/pam.d/login. But it would NOT go into
> > /etc/pam.d/system- auth or /etc/pam.d/su. This should already be
> > configured by your distribution and you shouldn't need to adjust it.
> >
> >> and further are kernel or audit package versions important?
> >
> > Yes. But not to the two questions you ask above. More important is whether
> > or not auditing is enabled in the packages by your distribution. The
> > audit facilities from your question has been available almost 10 years.
> > So, I wonder if auditing is enabled.
>
> so how can i check if auditing is enabled?

For RHEL5, I know its enabled. But based on your questions above, you are
asking 2 things. Where to put audit=1 and if pam_loginuid is right. For these,

# cat /proc/cmdline

and

# cat /proc/self/loginuid

would let you check. In the first, make sure audit=1 is there and in the second
case, the output should be the uid under which you logged into the system.

-Steve

* Audit rotate
@ 2015-01-08 16:39         ` David Flatley
From: David Flatley @ 2015-01-08 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Grubb; +Cc: linux-audit, linux-audit-bounces

    Trying to setup Auditing on a Suse Server 11 SP3 with audit version
1.8.0.3. Apparently "audit rotate" is not available on this version of
auditd? I know from past posts by Steve Grubb that logrotate does not
work well rotating /var/log/audit/audit.log. So any thoughts on doing audit
logrotations?
     Thanks

David Flatley CISSP

"To err is human. To really screw up requires the root password." -UNKNOWN

* Re: Audit rotate
@ 2015-01-08 16:46           ` Steve Grubb
From: Steve Grubb @ 2015-01-08 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Flatley; +Cc: linux-audit

On Thursday, January 08, 2015 11:39:17 AM David Flatley wrote:
>     Trying to setup Auditing on a Suse Server 11 SP3 with audit version
> 1.8.0.3. Apparently "audit rotate" is not available on this version of
> auditd? I know from past posts by Steve Grubb that logrotate does not
> work well rotating /var/log/audit/audit.log. So any thoughts on doing audit
> logrotations?

"service auditd rotate" is simply a convenience for sending SIGUSR1 to auditd.
That is all you need to do to force rotation of the logs.

-Steve

* Re: Audit rotate
@ 2015-01-08 17:17             ` David Flatley
From: David Flatley @ 2015-01-08 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Grubb; +Cc: linux-audit

     I have "/sbin/service auditd rotate" in my scripts I use on my Red Hat
systems. But apparently on Suse it does not rotate the logs. When I run the
rotate command it comes back with what it can
do and rotate is not in there. Oh and it is auditd 1.8.0.30-1.

From:	Steve Grubb <sgrubb@redhat.com>
To:	David Flatley/Burlington/IBM@IBMUS,
Cc:	linux-audit@redhat.com
Date:	01/08/2015 11:46 AM
Subject:	Re: Audit rotate

@ 2015-01-08 17:23               ` Steve Grubb
From: Steve Grubb @ 2015-01-08 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Flatley; +Cc: linux-audit

On Thursday, January 08, 2015 12:17:40 PM David Flatley wrote:
>      I have "/sbin/service auditd rotate" in my scripts I use on my Red Hat
> systems. But apparently on Suse it does not rotate the logs. When I run the
> rotate command it comes back with what it can
> do and rotate is not in there. Oh and it is auditd 1.8.0.30-1.

What I'm trying to say is that if the init script does not support it, then
all you need to do is send sigusr1 to auditd instead. Something like:

kill -USR1 `pidof auditd`

-Steve

> From:	Steve Grubb <sgrubb@redhat.com>
> To:	David Flatley/Burlington/IBM@IBMUS,
> Cc:	linux-audit@redhat.com
> Date:	01/08/2015 11:46 AM
> Subject:	Re: Audit rotate
>
> On Thursday, January 08, 2015 11:39:17 AM David Flatley wrote:
> >     Trying to setup Auditing on a Suse Server 11 SP3 with audit version
> >
> > 1.8.0.3. Apparently "audit rotate" is not available on this version of
> > auditd? I know from past posts by Steve Grubb that logrotate does not
> > work well rotating /var/log/audit/audit.log. So any thoughts on doing
>
> audit
>
> > logrotations?
>
> "service auditd rotate" is simply a convenience for sending SIGUSR1 to
> auditd.
> That is all you need to do to force rotation of the logs.
>
> -Steve

* Re: Audit rotate
@ 2015-01-08 17:47                 ` David Flatley
From: David Flatley @ 2015-01-08 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Grubb; +Cc: linux-audit

      Yup that did it! Thanks Steve.

From:	Steve Grubb <sgrubb@redhat.com>
To:	David Flatley/Burlington/IBM@IBMUS,
Cc:	linux-audit@redhat.com
Date:	01/08/2015 12:30 PM
Subject:	Re: Audit rotate

On Thursday, January 08, 2015 12:17:40 PM David Flatley wrote:
>      I have "/sbin/service auditd rotate" in my scripts I use on my Red
Hat
> systems. But apparently on Suse it does not rotate the logs. When I run
the
> rotate command it comes back with what it can
> do and rotate is not in there. Oh and it is auditd 1.8.0.30-1.

What I'm trying to say is that if the init script does not support it, then

all you need to do is send sigusr1 to auditd instead. Something like:

kill -USR1 `pidof auditd`

-Steve

> From:		 Steve Grubb <sgrubb@redhat.com>
> To:		 David Flatley/Burlington/IBM@IBMUS,
> Cc:		 linux-audit@redhat.com
> Date:		 01/08/2015 11:46 AM
> Subject:		 Re: Audit rotate
>
> On Thursday, January 08, 2015 11:39:17 AM David Flatley wrote:
> >     Trying to setup Auditing on a Suse Server 11 SP3 with audit version
> >
> > 1.8.0.3. Apparently "audit rotate" is not available on this version of
> > auditd? I know from past posts by Steve Grubb that logrotate does not
> > work well rotating /var/log/audit/audit.log. So any thoughts on doing
>
> audit
>
> > logrotations?
>
> "service auditd rotate" is simply a convenience for sending SIGUSR1 to
> auditd.
> That is all you need to do to force rotation of the logs.
>
> -Steve

* auid=4294967295 issue
@ 2015-01-12 10:12             ` Burak Gürer
From: Burak Gürer @ 2015-01-12 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Grubb; +Cc: linux-audit

Hi Steve,

thanks for your assistance,

> For RHEL5, I know its enabled. But based on your questions above, you are
> asking 2 things. Where to put audit=1 and if pam_loginuid is right. For these,
>
> # cat /proc/cmdline
>
> and
>
> # cat /proc/self/loginuid
>
> would let you check. In the first, make sure audit=1 is there and in the second
> case, the output should be the uid under which you logged into the system.
>
> -Steve

    [root@test /root]# cat /proc/cmdline
    ro root=LABEL=/ audit=1 rhgb quiet

    [root@test /root]# cat /proc/self/loginuid
    0

To narrow the circle;

we have some linux servers and a central log collector system. we are
sending audit logs to this log system. this log collector system can
parse such logs but this system confused at lines with "auid=4294967295"
in audit logs.

i have tried everything but still this lines are coming:

    type=USER_ACCT msg=audit(1420656001.965:2804): user pid=6083 uid=0
    auid=4294967295 msg='PAM: accounting acct="root" :
    exe="/usr/sbin/crond" (hostname=?, addr=?, terminal=cron res=success)'
    type=CRED_ACQ msg=audit(1420656001.966:2805): user pid=6083 uid=0
    auid=4294967295 msg='PAM: setcred acct="root" :
    exe="/usr/sbin/crond" (hostname=?, addr=?, terminal=cron res=success)'

and

    [root@test /root]# cat /etc/pam.d/crond
    #
    # The PAM configuration file for the cron daemon
    #
    #
    session    required     pam_loginuid.so
    auth       required     pam_unix.so
    auth       required     pam_nologin.so
    account    required     pam_unix.so
    password   required     pam_unix.so
    session    required     pam_unix.so

so is there any other hints or what can i do esle?

* Re: auid=4294967295 issue
@ 2015-01-12 14:54               ` Steve Grubb
From: Steve Grubb @ 2015-01-12 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: burak4burak; +Cc: linux-audit

On Monday, January 12, 2015 12:12:02 PM Burak Gürer wrote:
> we have some linux servers and a central log collector system. we are
> sending audit logs to this log system. this log collector system can
> parse such logs but this system confused at lines with "auid=4294967295"
> in audit logs.

auid=4294967295 is the same as auid=-1 which means that its unset.

> i have tried everything but still this lines are coming:
>
>     type=USER_ACCT msg=audit(1420656001.965:2804): user pid=6083 uid=0
>     auid=4294967295 msg='PAM: accounting acct="root" :
>     exe="/usr/sbin/crond" (hostname=?, addr=?, terminal=cron res=success)'
>     type=CRED_ACQ msg=audit(1420656001.966:2805): user pid=6083 uid=0
>     auid=4294967295 msg='PAM: setcred acct="root" :
>     exe="/usr/sbin/crond" (hostname=?, addr=?, terminal=cron res=success)'
>
> and
>
>     [root@test /root]# cat /etc/pam.d/crond
>     #
>     # The PAM configuration file for the cron daemon
>     #
>     #
>     session    required     pam_loginuid.so
>     auth       required     pam_unix.so
>     auth       required     pam_nologin.so
>     account    required     pam_unix.so
>     password   required     pam_unix.so
>     session    required     pam_unix.so
>
> so is there any other hints or what can i do esle?

Your pam file looks different than what is shipped. You might want to try the
default config file for crond:

auth	   sufficient pam_env.so
auth       required   pam_rootok.so
auth       include    system-auth