* Does NFSv4 translate POSIX ACL's?
@ 2019-08-20 18:35 Goetz, Patrick G
From: Goetz, Patrick G @ 2019-08-20 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Posting to this list out of desperation, as I've exhausted all the other
resources I can get my hands on.

The full blown issue has been posted here:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/536300/why-is-nfsv4-not-translating-posix-acls-in-a-usable-way

I have an NFSv4 exported folder (base filesystem: XFS) which must afford
read access to a program on folders which are otherwise hidden from the
public.  On the NFS server:

   root@kraken:/EM/EMtifs# getfacl pgoetz
   # file: pgoetz
   # owner: pgoetz
   # group: cns-cnsitlabusers
   user::rwx
   group::r-x
   other::---
   default:user::rwx
   default:user:cryosparc_user:r-x
   default:group::r-x
   default:mask::r-x
   default:other::---

   root@kraken:/EM/EMtifs# id cryosparc_user
   uid=1017(cryosparc_user) gid=1017(cryosparc_user)
groups=1017(cryosparc_user)

The NFS client appears to be translating the POSIX ACL:

   root@javelina:/EM/EMtifs# nfs4_getfacl pgoetz
   A::OWNER@:rwaDxtTcCy
   A::GROUP@:rxtcy
   A::EVERYONE@:tcy
   A:fdi:OWNER@:rwaDxtTcCy
   A:fdi:1017:rxtcy
   A:fdi:GROUP@:rxtcy
   A:fdi:EVERYONE@:tcy

   root@javelina:/EM/EMtifs# id cryosparc_user
   uid=1017(cryosparc_user) gid=1017(cryosparc_user)
groups=1017(cryosparc_user)

However,

   cryosparc_user@javelina:/EM/EMtifs$ whoami
   cryosparc_user
   cryosparc_user@javelina:/EM/EMtifs$ ls pgoetz
   ls: cannot open directory 'pgoetz': Permission denied

Host OS on both machines: Ubuntu 18.04
NFS version: 1.3.4
Mount entry in /etc/fstab:
   kraken.biosci.utexas.edu:/EM  /EM  nfs4  _netdev,auto  0  0

I found this document that Bruce wrote:

   https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-nfsv4-acl-mapping-02

but it doesn't appear to have risen to the level of RFC?  RFC 7530
doesn't appear to have anything to say on the matter.  Since the
processing program primarily runs on the workstations, I need to make
this work somehow, and can't add the program user to the user group as
explained in the StackExchange post.