* can ebtables be used to add/remove vlan tags
@ 2011-09-22 16:27 Mark Mastandrea
From: Mark Mastandrea @ 2011-09-22 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Hi,

Sorry if this is a duplicate post , I tried to post ebtables mail group
and it pointed me here.

I created a vlan 0 interface using the vlan package and vconfig under
linux . I'm just wanting to set the 8021p tags not segregate traffic.
However I noticed that untagged traffic is is not being allowed thru the
interface that I configured( in this case eth0.0). This seems like a bug
in the VLAN module since VLAN 0 is a reserved id used to indicate
priority tagged traffic so I would expect it to accept traffic tagged
with VLAN 0 and untagged traffic.

In any case I'm trying to see if I can create a bridge with eth0.0
interface associated with the bridge and then use ebtables to add a VLAN
priority tag to an incoming untagged packet so the packet will get
processed. I also want to strip off the VLAN 0 traffic with priority 0
on outgoing traffic.

Based on my research this isn't possible and I would just like someone
to confirm.

Thanks
Mark

* Re: can ebtables be used to add/remove vlan tags
@ 2011-09-22 22:03 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2011-09-22 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mark; +Cc: netfilter

> I created a vlan 0 interface using the vlan package and vconfig under
> linux . I'm just wanting to set the 8021p tags not segregate traffic.
> However I noticed that untagged traffic is is not being allowed thru
> the
> interface that I configured( in this case eth0.0). This seems like a
> bug
> in the VLAN module since VLAN 0 is a reserved id used to indicate
> priority tagged traffic so I would expect it to accept traffic tagged
> with VLAN 0 and untagged traffic.
>
> In any case I'm trying to see if I can create a bridge with eth0.0
> interface associated with the bridge and then use ebtables to add a
> VLAN
> priority tag to an incoming untagged packet so the packet will get
> processed. I also want to strip off the VLAN 0 traffic with priority
> 0
> on outgoing traffic.
>
> Based on my research this isn't possible and I would just like
> someone
> to confirm.

Actually vconfig is considered deprecated.
The best way to add/remove vlan's is with ip command.

ip link add link eth0 name eth0.1 type vlan id 1

I think you don't understand the behavior of the reserved vlan
tag 0.

* Re: can ebtables be used to add/remove vlan tags
@ 2011-09-23  0:50   ` Mark Mastandrea
From: Mark Mastandrea @ 2011-09-23  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: netfilter

>> I created a vlan 0 interface using the vlan package and vconfig under
>> linux . I'm just wanting to set the 8021p tags not segregate traffic.
>> However I noticed that untagged traffic is is not being allowed thru
>> the
>> interface that I configured( in this case eth0.0). This seems like a
>> bug
>> in the VLAN module since VLAN 0 is a reserved id used to indicate
>> priority tagged traffic so I would expect it to accept traffic tagged
>> with VLAN 0 and untagged traffic.
>>
>> In any case I'm trying to see if I can create a bridge with eth0.0
>> interface associated with the bridge and then use ebtables to add a
>> VLAN
>> priority tag to an incoming untagged packet so the packet will get
>> processed. I also want to strip off the VLAN 0 traffic with priority
>> 0
>> on outgoing traffic.
>>
>> Based on my research this isn't possible and I would just like
>> someone
>> to confirm.
>
> Actually vconfig is considered deprecated.
> The best way to add/remove vlan's is with ip command.
>
> ip link add link eth0 name eth0.1 type vlan id 1
>
> I think you don't understand the behavior of the reserved vlan
> tag 0.

What I'm trying to do is to just add 8021p priority tags to traffic on a
socket that has a certain priority set by a setsockopt call. I want the
priority tags only set for this traffic. So basically I want priority
tagged and untagged frames accepted on the interface. I realize VLAN 0 is
for non vlan priority tagged traffic but it seemed to be the only way I
could get outgoing traffic tagged with the set_egress_map.

Based on my research I did see any other way of getting packets priority
tagged, am I missing something here ?

Thanks

Mark