* STAO spec in xen.git
@ 2017-01-13 19:03 Stefano Stabellini
From: Stefano Stabellini @ 2017-01-13 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel
  Cc: sstabellini, wei.liu2, al.stone, graeme.gregory, konrad.wilk,
	George.Dunlap, andrew.cooper3, ian.jackson, tim, julien.grall,
	jbeulich, parth.dixit, roger.pau

Hi all,

I suggest we commit the STAO spec in the form of the attached ODT
document to xen.git under docs/misc, for easier editing and consumption
by the Xen community, and to be able to generate a stable URL for it. In
fact at the moment the link to the STAO spec from http://uefi.org/acpi
is broken. Once we have a stable URL, we'll fix the link.

Let me know if you are OK with this.

Cheers,

Stefano

[-- Attachment #2: Type: APPLICATION/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text, Size: 20206 bytes --]

* Re: STAO spec in xen.git
@ 2017-01-13 19:34 ` Ian Jackson
From: Ian Jackson @ 2017-01-13 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Stabellini
  Cc: wei.liu2, al.stone, graeme.gregory, konrad.wilk, George.Dunlap,
	andrew.cooper3, tim, julien.grall, jbeulich, xen-devel,
	parth.dixit, roger.pau

Stefano Stabellini writes ("STAO spec in xen.git"):
> I suggest we commit the STAO spec in the form of the attached ODT
> document to xen.git under docs/misc, for easier editing and consumption
> by the Xen community, and to be able to generate a stable URL for it. In
> fact at the moment the link to the STAO spec from http://uefi.org/acpi
> is broken. Once we have a stable URL, we'll fix the link.
>
> Let me know if you are OK with this.

I think this is a fine place to keep them.

Acked-by: Ian Jackson <ian.jackson@eu.citrix.com>
(for both this and the XENV one)

What stable URL do you propose to use ?

Ian.

* Re: STAO spec in xen.git
@ 2017-01-13 19:47   ` Julien Grall
From: Julien Grall @ 2017-01-13 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Jackson, Stefano Stabellini
  Cc: wei.liu2, al.stone, graeme.gregory, konrad.wilk, George.Dunlap,
	andrew.cooper3, tim, jbeulich, xen-devel, parth.dixit, roger.pau

Sorry for the top postimg and formatting. I am sending this e-mail from my phone.

We already had this discussion a couple of months ago (see [1]). We agreed on an URL but the pdfs were not uploaded.

Regarding the format. Does ODT will allow git to do proper diff?
If not I would prefer the markdown format to be used.

Cheers,

[1] https://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2016-11/msg00577.html
________________________________

@ 2017-01-13 19:52   ` Stefano Stabellini
From: Stefano Stabellini @ 2017-01-13 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Jackson
  Cc: Stefano Stabellini, wei.liu2, al.stone, graeme.gregory,
	konrad.wilk, George.Dunlap, andrew.cooper3, tim, julien.grall,

On Fri, 13 Jan 2017, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Stefano Stabellini writes ("STAO spec in xen.git"):
> > I suggest we commit the STAO spec in the form of the attached ODT
> > document to xen.git under docs/misc, for easier editing and consumption
> > by the Xen community, and to be able to generate a stable URL for it. In
> > fact at the moment the link to the STAO spec from http://uefi.org/acpi
> > is broken. Once we have a stable URL, we'll fix the link.
> >
> > Let me know if you are OK with this.
>
> I think this is a fine place to keep them.
>
> Acked-by: Ian Jackson <ian.jackson@eu.citrix.com>
> (for both this and the XENV one)
>
> What stable URL do you propose to use ?

I don't have a preference, as long as it is truly stable :-)

This is a question for people more familiar with ASWG than me. Is it OK
to publish it in ODT? I have just noticed that this would be the first
spec in that format among the ones linked from http://uefi.org/acpi.

* Re: STAO spec in xen.git
@ 2017-01-13 19:56     ` Stefano Stabellini
From: Stefano Stabellini @ 2017-01-13 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Grall
  Cc: Stefano Stabellini, wei.liu2, al.stone, graeme.gregory,
	konrad.wilk, George.Dunlap, andrew.cooper3, Ian Jackson, tim,
	jbeulich, xen-devel, parth.dixit, roger.pau

Hi Julien,

I tried markdown, but there are too many tables, they all get garbled.
git diff would only show binary diffs, but libreoffice can show changes.

Cheers,

Stefano

On Fri, 13 Jan 2017, Julien Grall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the top postimg and formatting. I am sending this e-mail from my phone.
>
> We already had this discussion a couple of months ago (see [1]). We agreed on an URL but the pdfs were not uploaded.
>
> Regarding the format. Does ODT will allow git to do proper diff?
> If not I would prefer the markdown format to be used.
>
> Cheers,
>
> [1] https://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2016-11/msg00577.html
>
> _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

* Re: STAO spec in xen.git
@ 2017-01-13 20:37     ` Al Stone
From: Al Stone @ 2017-01-13 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Stabellini, Ian Jackson
  Cc: wei.liu2, graeme.gregory, konrad.wilk, George.Dunlap,

On 01/13/2017 12:52 PM, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jan 2017, Ian Jackson wrote:
>> Stefano Stabellini writes ("STAO spec in xen.git"):
>>> I suggest we commit the STAO spec in the form of the attached ODT
>>> document to xen.git under docs/misc, for easier editing and consumption
>>> by the Xen community, and to be able to generate a stable URL for it. In
>>> fact at the moment the link to the STAO spec from http://uefi.org/acpi
>>> is broken. Once we have a stable URL, we'll fix the link.
>>>
>>> Let me know if you are OK with this.
>>
>> I think this is a fine place to keep them.
>>
>> Acked-by: Ian Jackson <ian.jackson@eu.citrix.com>
>> (for both this and the XENV one)
>>
>> What stable URL do you propose to use ?
>
> I don't have a preference, as long as it is truly stable :-)
>
> This is a question for people more familiar with ASWG than me. Is it OK
> to publish it in ODT? I have just noticed that this would be the first
> spec in that format among the ones linked from http://uefi.org/acpi.

I would recommend exporting it as PDF and submitting those to UEFI.  For
good or bad, the convention has been to use Word format within the ASWG,
and PDF to publish public documents (though there are exceptions...).

Let me know off line if you need assistance making sure the uefi.org links
get updated properly.

--
ciao,
al

* Re: STAO spec in xen.git
@ 2017-01-13 21:00       ` Stefano Stabellini
From: Stefano Stabellini @ 2017-01-13 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Al Stone
  Cc: Stefano Stabellini, wei.liu2, graeme.gregory, konrad.wilk,

On Fri, 13 Jan 2017, Al Stone wrote:
> On 01/13/2017 12:52 PM, Stefano Stabellini wrote:

> >> I think this is a fine place to keep them.
> >>
> >> Acked-by: Ian Jackson <ian.jackson@eu.citrix.com>
> >> (for both this and the XENV one)
> >>
> >> What stable URL do you propose to use ?
> >
> > I don't have a preference, as long as it is truly stable :-)
> >
> > This is a question for people more familiar with ASWG than me. Is it OK
> > to publish it in ODT? I have just noticed that this would be the first
> > spec in that format among the ones linked from http://uefi.org/acpi.
> >

> I would recommend exporting it as PDF and submitting those to UEFI.  For
> good or bad, the convention has been to use Word format within the ASWG,
> and PDF to publish public documents (though there are exceptions...).

In that case, I think we should still commit it as ODT, but convert it
automatically to PDF when we publish it (we do something similar with
the markdown docs, converting them from markdown to html).

> Let me know off line if you need assistance making sure the uefi.org links
> get updated properly.

We'll most certainly need your help, thanks.

* Re: STAO spec in xen.git
@ 2017-01-16 11:26         ` Ian Jackson
From: Ian Jackson @ 2017-01-16 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Stabellini
  Cc: wei.liu2, Al Stone, graeme.gregory, konrad.wilk, George.Dunlap,

Stefano Stabellini writes ("Re: STAO spec in xen.git"):
> In that case, I think we should still commit it as ODT, but convert it
> automatically to PDF when we publish it (we do something similar with
> the markdown docs, converting them from markdown to html).

Exactly.

The fact that git diff won't show updates well is not ideal, but IMO
it is imperative to get the document 1. it into our own version
control and 2. in a format we can edit 3. using FLOSS tools.

Please can we commit the source of the document to xen.git as a first
step.  At that point the xen.git copy will become the master copy.

We can then think about PDF export.  If the conversion has to be done
ad hoc manually at first then that is not a blocker for committing the
file.

Thanks,
Ian.

* Re: STAO spec in xen.git
@ 2017-01-16 15:34           ` Roger Pau Monné
From: Roger Pau Monné @ 2017-01-16 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Jackson
  Cc: Stefano Stabellini, wei.liu2, Al Stone, graeme.gregory,

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 11:26:57AM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Stefano Stabellini writes ("Re: STAO spec in xen.git"):
> > In that case, I think we should still commit it as ODT, but convert it
> > automatically to PDF when we publish it (we do something similar with
> > the markdown docs, converting them from markdown to html).
>
> Exactly.
>
> The fact that git diff won't show updates well is not ideal, but IMO
> it is imperative to get the document 1. it into our own version
> control and 2. in a format we can edit 3. using FLOSS tools.
>
> Please can we commit the source of the document to xen.git as a first
> step.  At that point the xen.git copy will become the master copy.
>
> We can then think about PDF export.  If the conversion has to be done
> ad hoc manually at first then that is not a blocker for committing the
> file.

unoconv[0][1] seems like a good option to do cli conversions from odt to pdf.
Adding a configure test plus a matching make rune doesn't seem very hard.

Roger.

[0] https://github.com/dagwieers/unoconv
[1] https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=unoconv

* Re: STAO spec in xen.git
@ 2017-01-16 18:40           ` Stefano Stabellini
From: Stefano Stabellini @ 2017-01-16 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Jackson
  Cc: Stefano Stabellini, wei.liu2, Al Stone, graeme.gregory,

On Mon, 16 Jan 2017, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Stefano Stabellini writes ("Re: STAO spec in xen.git"):
> > In that case, I think we should still commit it as ODT, but convert it
> > automatically to PDF when we publish it (we do something similar with
> > the markdown docs, converting them from markdown to html).
>
> Exactly.
>
> The fact that git diff won't show updates well is not ideal, but IMO
> it is imperative to get the document 1. it into our own version
> control and 2. in a format we can edit 3. using FLOSS tools.
>
> Please can we commit the source of the document to xen.git as a first
> step.  At that point the xen.git copy will become the master copy.
>
> We can then think about PDF export.  If the conversion has to be done
> ad hoc manually at first then that is not a blocker for committing the
> file.

Right. I am going to commit this version for now.

If somebody was willing to come up with an alternative version of this
document in a more git-friendly format, I would be more than happy for
it to replace the ODT version.

* Re: STAO spec in xen.git
@ 2017-01-17  4:55             ` Juergen Gross
From: Juergen Gross @ 2017-01-17  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Stabellini, Ian Jackson
  Cc: wei.liu2, Al Stone, graeme.gregory, konrad.wilk, George.Dunlap,

On 16/01/17 19:40, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jan 2017, Ian Jackson wrote:
>> Stefano Stabellini writes ("Re: STAO spec in xen.git"):
>>> In that case, I think we should still commit it as ODT, but convert it
>>> automatically to PDF when we publish it (we do something similar with
>>> the markdown docs, converting them from markdown to html).
>>
>> Exactly.
>>
>> The fact that git diff won't show updates well is not ideal, but IMO
>> it is imperative to get the document 1. it into our own version
>> control and 2. in a format we can edit 3. using FLOSS tools.
>>
>> Please can we commit the source of the document to xen.git as a first
>> step.  At that point the xen.git copy will become the master copy.
>>
>> We can then think about PDF export.  If the conversion has to be done
>> ad hoc manually at first then that is not a blocker for committing the
>> file.
>
> Right. I am going to commit this version for now.
>
> If somebody was willing to come up with an alternative version of this
> document in a more git-friendly format, I would be more than happy for
> it to replace the ODT version.

LaTeX? Should be less than 1 hour work. I can do it if a .tex file is
okay.

Juergen

* Re: STAO spec in xen.git
@ 2017-01-17 15:18               ` Andrew Cooper
From: Andrew Cooper @ 2017-01-17 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juergen Gross, Stefano Stabellini, Ian Jackson
  Cc: wei.liu2, Al Stone, graeme.gregory, konrad.wilk, George.Dunlap,

On 17/01/17 04:55, Juergen Gross wrote:
> On 16/01/17 19:40, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
>>> Exactly.
>>>
>>> The fact that git diff won't show updates well is not ideal, but IMO
>>> it is imperative to get the document 1. it into our own version
>>> control and 2. in a format we can edit 3. using FLOSS tools.
>>>
>>> Please can we commit the source of the document to xen.git as a first
>>> step.  At that point the xen.git copy will become the master copy.
>>>
>>> We can then think about PDF export.  If the conversion has to be done
>>> ad hoc manually at first then that is not a blocker for committing the
>>> file.
>> Right. I am going to commit this version for now.
>>
>> If somebody was willing to come up with an alternative version of this
>> document in a more git-friendly format, I would be more than happy for
>> it to replace the ODT version.
> LaTeX? Should be less than 1 hour work. I can do it if a .tex file is
> okay.

We have had LaTeX documents in the past in tree.  It certainly would be
more text-friendly.

~Andrew

* Re: STAO spec in xen.git
@ 2017-01-17 15:29     ` Olaf Hering
From: Olaf Hering @ 2017-01-17 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Grall
  Cc: Stefano Stabellini, wei.liu2, al.stone, graeme.gregory,

On Fri, Jan 13, Julien Grall wrote:

> Regarding the format. Does ODT will allow git to do proper diff?

There is flat ODT, "Safe as ..." and pick the better format from the pulldown menu.

Olaf

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: STAO spec in xen.git
@ 2017-01-17 19:57       ` Stefano Stabellini
From: Stefano Stabellini @ 2017-01-17 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olaf Hering
  Cc: Stefano Stabellini, wei.liu2, al.stone, graeme.gregory,

On Tue, 17 Jan 2017, Olaf Hering wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 13, Julien Grall wrote:
>
> > Regarding the format. Does ODT will allow git to do proper diff?
>
> There is flat ODT, "Safe as ..." and pick the better format from the pulldown menu.

Sounds like a good idea. Can you submit a patch?

* Re: STAO spec in xen.git
@ 2017-02-14 16:27         ` Olaf Hering
From: Olaf Hering @ 2017-02-14 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Stabellini
  Cc: wei.liu2, al.stone, graeme.gregory, George.Dunlap,

On Tue, Jan 17, Stefano Stabellini wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Jan 2017, Olaf Hering wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 13, Julien Grall wrote:
> >
> > > Regarding the format. Does ODT will allow git to do proper diff?
> >
> > There is flat ODT, "Safe as ..." and pick the better format from the pulldown menu.
>
> Sounds like a good idea. Can you submit a patch?

Done, see 'docs: convert from binary to ASCII'.

For some reason results of 'git rm' are not noticed by
get-maintainer.pl, see xen-devel for a copy of the removal.

@ 2017-02-14 18:25           ` Stefano Stabellini
From: Stefano Stabellini @ 2017-02-14 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olaf Hering
  Cc: Stefano Stabellini, wei.liu2, al.stone, graeme.gregory,

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017, Olaf Hering wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 17, Stefano Stabellini wrote:

> > > There is flat ODT, "Safe as ..." and pick the better format from the pulldown menu.
> >
> > Sounds like a good idea. Can you submit a patch?
>
> Done, see 'docs: convert from binary to ASCII'.
>
> For some reason results of 'git rm' are not noticed by
> get-maintainer.pl, see xen-devel for a copy of the removal.

Interestingly, my "git am" is unable to apply those patches. Does it
work for you? I cannot see anything wrong with them, but they don't
work. If the problem is that they are too large, please send the files
as attachments.

Also, I tried to do the same conversion with my copy of Libreoffice and
the FODT files produced are significantly different from yours, which
means, even if we use FODT docs, we are probably going to be unable to
send changes as meaningful text patches.

* Re: STAO spec in xen.git
@ 2017-02-14 18:39             ` Olaf Hering
From: Olaf Hering @ 2017-02-14 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Stabellini
  Cc: wei.liu2, al.stone, graeme.gregory, George.Dunlap,

On Tue, Feb 14, Stefano Stabellini wrote:

> Also, I tried to do the same conversion with my copy of Libreoffice and
> the FODT files produced are significantly different from yours, which
> means, even if we use FODT docs, we are probably going to be unable to
> send changes as meaningful text patches.

I guess one would be able to use vi to make further adjustments.

So far I have not tried to apply what git send-email produced, it would
be a dead-end anyway :-)

@ 2017-02-14 20:02             ` Olaf Hering
From: Olaf Hering @ 2017-02-14 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Stabellini
  Cc: wei.liu2, al.stone, graeme.gregory, George.Dunlap,
	andrew.cooper3, Ian Jackson, tim, Julien Grall, jbeulich,
	xen-devel, parth.dixit, roger.pau

On Tue, Feb 14, Stefano Stabellini wrote:

> Interestingly, my "git am" is unable to apply those patches. Does it
> work for you? I cannot see anything wrong with them, but they don't
> work. If the problem is that they are too large, please send the files
> as attachments.

Its the '\ No newline at end of file' at the end. Not sure if diff
should not procude it, or if patch should handle it. I assume an
attachment would create the same error because there is no newline for
some reason.

@ 2017-02-14 20:27               ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2017-02-14 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olaf Hering
  Cc: Stefano Stabellini, wei.liu2, al.stone, graeme.gregory,

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 09:02:14PM +0100, Olaf Hering wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 14, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
>
> > Interestingly, my "git am" is unable to apply those patches. Does it
> > work for you? I cannot see anything wrong with them, but they don't
> > work. If the problem is that they are too large, please send the files
> > as attachments.
>
> Its the '\ No newline at end of file' at the end. Not sure if diff
> should not procude it, or if patch should handle it. I assume an
> attachment would create the same error because there is no newline for
> some reason.

Better to just push to a branch for us to fetch.

Wei.

> Olaf

* Re: STAO spec in xen.git
@ 2017-02-15  9:11                 ` Olaf Hering
From: Olaf Hering @ 2017-02-15  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu
  Cc: Stefano Stabellini, al.stone, graeme.gregory, George.Dunlap,
	andrew.cooper3, Ian Jackson, tim, Julien Grall, jbeulich,
	xen-devel, parth.dixit, roger.pau

Am Tue, 14 Feb 2017 20:27:15 +0000
schrieb Wei Liu <wei.liu2@citrix.com>:

> Better to just push to a branch for us to fetch.

That would be git://github.com/olafhering/xen.git#libreoffice

https://github.com/olafhering/xen/commits/libreoffice

Thanks,

Olaf

[-- Attachment #1.2: Digitale Signatur von OpenPGP --]

* Re: STAO spec in xen.git
@ 2017-02-15 19:42                   ` Stefano Stabellini
From: Stefano Stabellini @ 2017-02-15 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olaf Hering
  Cc: Stefano Stabellini, Wei Liu, al.stone, graeme.gregory,

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017, Olaf Hering wrote:
> Am Tue, 14 Feb 2017 20:27:15 +0000
> schrieb Wei Liu <wei.liu2@citrix.com>:
>
> > Better to just push to a branch for us to fetch.
>
> That would be git://github.com/olafhering/xen.git#libreoffice
>
> https://github.com/olafhering/xen/commits/libreoffice

Thanks, pulled