* Is it possible NOT to split kernel modules in multiple packages
@ 2017-01-26  7:29 Prasant J
From: Prasant J @ 2017-01-26  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi,

I'm using Morty release to create my custom BSP package for cortex-a5
based processor.

I'm using my own custom kernel recipe that inherits kernel.bbclass
(which inherits kernel-module-split.bbclass)

All the modules are split in their own rpm packages. Is it possible
that  only one RPM package is created for all kernel modules and there
is no split?

Regards, Pj

* Re: Is it possible NOT to split kernel modules in multiple packages
@ 2017-01-27  1:48 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2017-01-27  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

On 1/25/17 11:29 PM, Prasant J wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using Morty release to create my custom BSP package for cortex-a5
> based processor.
>
> I'm using my own custom kernel recipe that inherits kernel.bbclass
> (which inherits kernel-module-split.bbclass)
>

> All the modules are split in their own rpm packages. Is it possible
> that  only one RPM package is created for all kernel modules and there
> is no split?

I guess you want to include all the modules into your image. In that
case you can add

MACHINE_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS += "kernel-modules"

in your machine config.

* Re: Is it possible NOT to split kernel modules in multiple packages
@ 2017-02-01  6:18   ` Prasant J
From: Prasant J @ 2017-02-01  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: yocto

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 7:18 AM, Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/25/17 11:29 PM, Prasant J wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm using Morty release to create my custom BSP package for cortex-a5
>> based processor.
>>
>> I'm using my own custom kernel recipe that inherits kernel.bbclass
>> (which inherits kernel-module-split.bbclass)
>>

>> All the modules are split in their own rpm packages. Is it possible
>> that  only one RPM package is created for all kernel modules and there
>> is no split?
>>

> I guess you want to include all the modules into your image. In that
> case you can add
>
> MACHINE_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS += "kernel-modules"
>
> in your machine config.

@ Khem: Thanks for response!

Yes, I want to include all modules. ALSO (more importantly) I want
only one RPM for all modules. Instead of 50 or more rpms I would like
to have only 1 rpm which has all the kernel modules. Is it possible?

The reason I want this: I have my own GUI for system package
management for our end-users. I want to make it simple for them to
install newer modules by installing only 1 rpm.

@ 2017-02-01 16:36     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2017-02-01 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prasant J; +Cc: yocto

On 1/31/17 10:18 PM, Prasant J wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 7:18 AM, Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 1/25/17 11:29 PM, Prasant J wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm using Morty release to create my custom BSP package for cortex-a5
>>> based processor.
>>>
>>> I'm using my own custom kernel recipe that inherits kernel.bbclass
>>> (which inherits kernel-module-split.bbclass)
>>>

>>> All the modules are split in their own rpm packages. Is it possible
>>> that  only one RPM package is created for all kernel modules and there
>>> is no split?
>>>

>> I guess you want to include all the modules into your image. In that
>> case you can add
>>
>> MACHINE_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS += "kernel-modules"
>>
>> in your machine config.
>>

> @ Khem: Thanks for response!
>
> Yes, I want to include all modules. ALSO (more importantly) I want
> only one RPM for all modules. Instead of 50 or more rpms I would like
> to have only 1 rpm which has all the kernel modules. Is it possible?
>
> The reason I want this: I have my own GUI for system package
> management for our end-users. I want to make it simple for them to
> install newer modules by installing only 1 rpm.

You can write a bbappend for your kernel recipe and remove the module
splitting function from list of tasks e.g.

PACKAGESPLITFUNCS_remove = "split_kernel_module_packages"

be aware, it will only affect modules generated with kernel recipe
external kernel modules will still be packaged the way they are