* [B.A.T.M.A.N.] [Patchv2 0/7] batman-adv: Optimizations for setups running dat and bla
@ 2016-02-26 13:16 Andreas Pape
From: Andreas Pape @ 2016-02-26 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n

This patchset introduces optimizations for batman-adv in setups having several gateways into a common (switched) Ethernet backbone network especially if dat is additionally enabled.

Using the current implementation with bla and dat enabled, several problems can be observed in a real setup:
1. Multiplication of ARP replies from dat enabled gateways and dat enabled mesh nodes leading to an "ARP reply storm" in the common backbone network.
2. In rare corner cases bla does not fully prevent looping of unicast frames in the direction backbone --> mesh --> backbone and looping of multicast frames in the direction mesh --> backbone --> mesh.
The latter can lead to temporary confusion in the switched backbone resulting in packet loss and communication timeouts.

The observed problems are solved by introduction of additional rules for the dat handling, bla packet forwarding and bla claiming/unclaiming of clients.

PHOENIX CONTACT ELECTRONICS GmbH

Sitz der Gesellschaft / registered office of the company: 31812 Bad Pyrmont
USt-Id-Nr.: DE811742156
Amtsgericht Hannover HRB 100528 / district court Hannover HRB 100528
Geschäftsführer / Executive Board: Roland Bent, Dr. Martin Heubeck
Diese E-Mail enthält vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschützte Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren, jegliche anderweitige Verwendung sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail ist nicht gestattet.
This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure, distribution or other use of the material or parts thereof is strictly forbidden.

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] [Patchv2 0/7] batman-adv: Optimizations for setups running dat and bla
@ 2016-02-26 16:20 ` Sven Eckelmann
From: Sven Eckelmann @ 2016-02-26 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n

=2D-nextPart5558910.ktjs2kg59P

On Friday 26 February 2016 14:16:38 Andreas Pape wrote:
> This patchset introduces optimizations for batman-adv in setups having
> several gateways into a common (switched) Ethernet backbone network
> especially if dat is additionally enabled.
[...]

See my other comments directly to the patches. Please try to set the
in-reply-to of the patches to the message-id of the cover letter. Otherwise
the messages aren't correctly threaded on the mailinglist [1].

And you can set the version number of the patch directly using
git-format-patch:

    git format-patch -v 2 origin/master

I haven't done the complete build_test run but at least a quick test against
4.4 only. The result is attached.

Kind regards,
	Sven

[1] https://lists.open-mesh.org/pipermail/b.a.t.m.a.n/2016-February/thread.html

=2D-nextPart5558910.ktjs2kg59P

Subject: blabla Build check errors found: 2016-02-26
From: postmaster@open-mesh.org
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 17:17:23 +0100 (CET)

Name of failed tests
====================

 * bracket_align blabla ./net/batman-adv/bridge_loop_avoidance.c
 * bracket_align blabla ./net/batman-adv/distributed-arp-table.c
 * bracket_align blabla ./net/batman-adv/soft-interface.c
 * checkpatch blabla ./net/batman-adv/bridge_loop_avoidance.c
 * smatch blabla linux-4.4 CONFIG_BATMAN_ADV_BLA=n CONFIG_BATMAN_ADV_DAT=n CONFIG_BATMAN_ADV_DEBUG=n CONFIG_BATMAN_ADV_NC=y CONFIG_BATMAN_ADV_MCAST=y CONFIG_BATMAN_ADV_BATMAN_V=y
 * smatch blabla linux-4.4 CONFIG_BATMAN_ADV_BLA=n CONFIG_BATMAN_ADV_DAT=n CONFIG_BATMAN_ADV_DEBUG=y CONFIG_BATMAN_ADV_NC=n CONFIG_BATMAN_ADV_MCAST=n CONFIG_BATMAN_ADV_BATMAN_V=y
 * smatch blabla linux-4.4 CONFIG_BATMAN_ADV_BLA=n CONFIG_BATMAN_ADV_DAT=y CONFIG_BATMAN_ADV_DEBUG=n CONFIG_BATMAN_ADV_NC=n CONFIG_BATMAN_ADV_MCAST=y CONFIG_BATMAN_ADV_BATMAN_V=n
 * smatch blabla linux-4.4 CONFIG_BATMAN_ADV_BLA=y CONFIG_BATMAN_ADV_DAT=n CONFIG_BATMAN_ADV_DEBUG=n CONFIG_BATMAN_ADV_NC=n CONFIG_BATMAN_ADV_MCAST=n CONFIG_BATMAN_ADV_BATMAN_V=y
 * sparse blabla linux-4.4 cfg: BLA=n DAT=n DEBUG=n NC=y MCAST=y BATMAN_V=y
 * sparse blabla linux-4.4 cfg: BLA=n DAT=n DEBUG=y NC=n MCAST=n BATMAN_V=y
 * sparse blabla linux-4.4 cfg: BLA=n DAT=y DEBUG=n NC=n MCAST=y BATMAN_V=n
 * sparse blabla linux-4.4 cfg: BLA=y DAT=n DEBUG=n NC=n MCAST=n BATMAN_V=y
 * unused_symbols blabla linux-4.4 cfg: BLA=y DAT=n DEBUG=n NC=n MCAST=n BATMAN_V=y

Output of different failed tests
================================

bracket_align blabla ./net/batman-adv/bridge_loop_avoidance.c
=2D------------------------------------------------------------

    Found wrong alignment at ./net/batman-adv/bridge_loop_avoidance.c:1661, was 33 but expected 37
    Found wrong alignment at ./net/batman-adv/bridge_loop_avoidance.c:1662, was 33 but expected 37

bracket_align blabla ./net/batman-adv/distributed-arp-table.c
=2D------------------------------------------------------------

    Found wrong alignment at ./net/batman-adv/distributed-arp-table.c:1126, was 30 but expected 29
    Found wrong alignment at ./net/batman-adv/distributed-arp-table.c:1128, was 30 but expected 29

bracket_align blabla ./net/batman-adv/soft-interface.c
=2D-----------------------------------------------------

    Found wrong alignment at ./net/batman-adv/soft-interface.c:434, was 49 but expected 58

checkpatch blabla ./net/batman-adv/bridge_loop_avoidance.c
=2D---------------------------------------------------------

    CHECK: Alignment should match open parenthesis
    #1661: FILE: ./net/batman-adv/bridge_loop_avoidance.c:1661:
    +		batadv_handle_claim(bat_priv, primary_if,
    +				primary_if->net_dev->dev_addr,

    total: 0 errors, 0 warnings, 1 checks, 1995 lines checked

smatch blabla linux-4.4 CONFIG_BATMAN_ADV_BLA=n CONFIG_BATMAN_ADV_DAT=n CONFIG_BATMAN_ADV_DEBUG=y CONFIG_BATMAN_ADV_NC=n CONFIG_BATMAN_ADV_MCAST=n CONFIG_BATMAN_ADV_BATMAN_V=y
=2D--------------------------------------------------------------------------

    net/batman-adv/routing.c:896 batadv_recv_unicast_packet warn: unused return: orig_node = batadv_orig_hash_find()
    net/batman-adv/soft-interface.c:433 batadv_interface_rx() warn: potential pointer math issue ('vhdr' is a 144 bit pointer)

sparse blabla linux-4.4 cfg: BLA=n DAT=n DEBUG=y NC=n MCAST=n BATMAN_V=y
=2D-----------------------------------------------------------------------

    net/batman-adv/soft-interface.c:432:33: warning: restricted __be16 degrades to integer

unused_symbols blabla linux-4.4 cfg: BLA=y DAT=n DEBUG=n NC=n MCAST=n BATMAN_V=y
=2D--------------------------------------------------------------------------

    batadv_bla_handle_local_claim

=2D-nextPart5558910.ktjs2kg59P--

On Friday 26 February 2016 14:16:38 Andreas Pape wrote:
> This patchset introduces optimizations for batman-adv in setups having
> several gateways into a common (switched) Ethernet backbone network
> especially if dat is additionally enabled.
[...]

See my other comments directly to the patches. Please try to set the
in-reply-to of the patches to the message-id of the cover letter. Otherwise
the messages aren't correctly threaded on the mailinglist [1].

And you can set the version number of the patch directly using
git-format-patch:

    git format-patch -v 2 origin/master

I haven't done the complete build_test run but at least a quick test against
4.4 only. The result is attached.

Kind regards,
	Sven

[1] https://lists.open-mesh.org/pipermail/b.a.t.m.a.n/2016-February/thread.html

[-- Attachment #1.3: build-test_andreas-pape_bla-fixes.mbox --]
[-- Type: application/mbox, Size: 3887 bytes --]

* [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Antwort: Re: [Patchv2 0/7] batman-adv: Optimizations for setups running dat and bla
@ 2016-02-27 11:10   ` Andreas Pape
From: Andreas Pape @ 2016-02-27 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Eckelmann; +Cc: b.a.t.m.a.n

Sven Eckelmann <sven@narfation.org> schrieb am 26.02.2016 17:20:54:

> See my other comments directly to the patches. Please try to set the
> in-reply-to of the patches to the message-id of the cover letter.
Otherwise
> the messages aren't correctly threaded on the mailinglist [1].

Is there a way to generate the cover letter also with git send-email? As I
did
not know how to generate it, I used claws as a separate e-mail client.

> And you can set the version number of the patch directly using
> git-format-patch:
>
>     git format-patch -v 2 origin/master
>
> I haven't done the complete build_test run but at least a quick test
against
> 4.4 only. The result is attached.
>
> Kind regards,
>    Sven

I used checkpatch.pl of linux 4.5 rc5 and checked each patch seperately
without open
issues. These things with bracket alignment etc. start driving me crazy.
Looks as if I don't
use a proper editor. Can you recommend one to use before sending patches?

> [1] https://lists.open-mesh.org/pipermail/b.a.t.m.a.n/2016-February/
> thread.html
> [Anhang "build-test_andreas-pape_bla-fixes.mbox" gelöscht von
> Andreas Pape/Phoenix Contact] [Anhang "signature.asc" gelöscht von
> Andreas Pape/Phoenix Contact]

PHOENIX CONTACT ELECTRONICS GmbH

Sitz der Gesellschaft / registered office of the company: 31812 Bad Pyrmont
USt-Id-Nr.: DE811742156
Amtsgericht Hannover HRB 100528 / district court Hannover HRB 100528
Geschäftsführer / Executive Board: Roland Bent, Dr. Martin Heubeck
Diese E-Mail enthält vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschützte Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren, jegliche anderweitige Verwendung sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail ist nicht gestattet.
This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure, distribution or other use of the material or parts thereof is strictly forbidden.

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Antwort: Re: [Patchv2 0/7] batman-adv: Optimizations for setups running dat and bla
@ 2016-02-27 11:31     ` Sven Eckelmann
From: Sven Eckelmann @ 2016-02-27 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Pape; +Cc: b.a.t.m.a.n

On Saturday 27 February 2016 12:10:00 Andreas Pape wrote:
> Is there a way to generate the cover letter also with git send-email? As I
> did
> not know how to generate it, I used claws as a separate e-mail client.

I've already explained this earlier [1]:

    git send-email --compose 0001-.... 0002-... ....

The --compose option should force git-send-email to open an $EDITOR which then
can be used to write a separate message. But you can also just create manually
a 0000-* file with the same valid mail headers (like the ones in a patch
generated by git-format-patch) and add it as first file to `git send-email`.

> I used checkpatch.pl of linux 4.5 rc5 and checked each patch seperately
> without open
> issues. These things with bracket alignment etc. start driving me crazy.
> Looks as if I don't
> use a proper editor. Can you recommend one to use before sending patches?

Every editor which can be configured to represent one tab as 8 spaces. I
personally use kate or vim.

You should use checkpatch.pl with --strict. And you can also try to check the
original source file with bracket_align.py [2]. Btw. I personally use
checkpatch.pl from linux-next [3] because it usually has some new checks
which are not yet in Linus' tree.

Kind regards,
	Sven

[1] https://lists.open-mesh.org/pipermail/b.a.t.m.a.n/2016-February/014491.html
[2] https://git.open-mesh.org/build_test.git/blob_plain/HEAD:/testhelpers/bracket_align.py
[3] https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git/

* [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Antwort: Re: [Patchv2 0/7] batman-adv: Optimizations for setups running dat and bla
@ 2016-02-27 11:33   ` Andreas Pape
From: Andreas Pape @ 2016-02-27 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Eckelmann; +Cc: b.a.t.m.a.n

Hi Sven,

I just pressed the send button too early for my last mail ;-).

First of all I want to thank you for your valuable review. Please be
patient as this is my first attempt
to contribute to a linux project and I am still lacking some linux know
how.

Kind regards,
Andreas

@ 2016-02-27 11:40     ` Sven Eckelmann
From: Sven Eckelmann @ 2016-02-27 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Pape; +Cc: b.a.t.m.a.n

On Saturday 27 February 2016 12:33:54 Andreas Pape wrote:
> Hi Sven,
>
> I just pressed the send button too early for my last mail ;-).
>
> First of all I want to thank you for your valuable review. Please be
> patient as this is my first attempt
> to contribute to a linux project and I am still lacking some linux know
> how.

Please continue your journey. I think we will be able to provide more feedback
in the future and at the end Antonio+David will get your patches in the kernel
:)

Hopefully, Antonio+Simon will find some time next week to add some more
feedback about the way their batman-adv subfeatures (DAT+BLA) are affected by
your patchset.

Kind regards,
	Sven

* [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: [Patchv2 0/7] batman-adv: Optimizations for setups running dat and bla
@ 2016-03-01 16:09       ` Andreas Pape
From: Andreas Pape @ 2016-03-01 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Eckelmann; +Cc: b.a.t.m.a.n

Hello Sven,

Sven Eckelmann <sven@narfation.org> schrieb am 27.02.2016 12:40:46:

> Hopefully, Antonio+Simon will find some time next week to add some more
> feedback about the way their batman-adv subfeatures (DAT+BLA) are
affected by
> your patchset.

I will fix your findings in the next version of the patchset. But I think
I will
wait sending it until I get more feedback if the patches are a good idea
or if
they break something I have not understood so far. From my own tests I am
pretty
sure that the ideas behind patch 1/7, 4/7 and 7/7 bring a significant
improvement.

Kind regards,
Andreas