* Security response; public holidays
@ 2017-05-02 14:09 Ian Jackson
From: Ian Jackson @ 2017-05-02 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel; +Cc: security

We selected today as the release date for XSA-213 to 215.  But if we
had thought it through properly, with the right information, I think
we could have chosen a different date, because of the public holidays
in many countries around now.

It would perhaps be possible to find a holiday calendar listing all
known public holidays throughout the world.  But we are interested in
public holidays affecting Xen Project community members.

I was wondering if we should start a wiki page and invite community
members to add their own local holidays.

Ian.

* Re: Security response; public holidays
@ 2017-05-02 17:10 ` George Dunlap
From: George Dunlap @ 2017-05-02 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Jackson, xen-devel; +Cc: security

On 02/05/17 15:09, Ian Jackson wrote:
> We selected today as the release date for XSA-213 to 215.  But if we
> had thought it through properly, with the right information, I think
> we could have chosen a different date, because of the public holidays
> in many countries around now.
>
> It would perhaps be possible to find a holiday calendar listing all
> known public holidays throughout the world.  But we are interested in
> public holidays affecting Xen Project community members.
>
> I was wondering if we should start a wiki page and invite community
> members to add their own local holidays.

That sounds good.

Some holidays will be fixed dates, while others (like Easter and
American Thanksgiving) will change every year.  For the ones that
change, we need a mechanism for refreshing them every year.

 -George

* Re: Security response; public holidays
@ 2017-05-02 17:14   ` Ian Jackson
From: Ian Jackson @ 2017-05-02 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Dunlap; +Cc: xen-devel, security

George Dunlap writes ("Re: Security response; public holidays"):
> Some holidays will be fixed dates, while others (like Easter and
> American Thanksgiving) will change every year.  For the ones that
> change, we need a mechanism for refreshing them every year.

I suggest we set a reminder to send out a call for updates in around
October of the previous year.

Ian.

* Re: Security response; public holidays [and 1 more messages]
@ 2017-05-08 14:29     ` Ian Jackson
From: Ian Jackson @ 2017-05-08 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel, security-team-members, George Dunlap

Ian Jackson writes ("Security response; public holidays"):
> It would perhaps be possible to find a holiday calendar listing all
> known public holidays throughout the world.  But we are interested in
> public holidays affecting Xen Project community members.
>
> I was wondering if we should start a wiki page and invite community
> members to add their own local holidays.

I have now created this page:
  https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/HolidayCalendar

I populated it with holidays from my own jurisdiction, the UK, to
provide a skeleton.

Does that look about right ?  If so then we should send out a call on
xen-announce for community members to add their own dates.

The policy doesn't explicitly ask us to avoid holidays.  It talks
about a "usual starting point" and "reasons to diverge".  We have
usually treated public holidays (at least, ones which are widely
observed) as reasons to diverge and no-one seems to object to this
practice.

If anyone things this needs to be made more explicit in the policy, I
wouldn't oppose that, but personally I think what we have is OK.

> I suggest we set a reminder to send out a call for updates in around
> October of the previous year.

I changed this to September and put it in the bottom of the page.

@ 2017-05-08 14:41       ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2017-05-08 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Jackson; +Cc: xen-devel, security-team-members, George Dunlap

> On 8 May 2017, at 15:29, Ian Jackson <ian.jackson@eu.citrix.com> wrote:
>
> Ian Jackson writes ("Security response; public holidays"):
>> It would perhaps be possible to find a holiday calendar listing all
>> known public holidays throughout the world.  But we are interested in
>> public holidays affecting Xen Project community members.
>>
>> I was wondering if we should start a wiki page and invite community
>> members to add their own local holidays.
>
> I have now created this page:
>  https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/HolidayCalendar
>
> I populated it with holidays from my own jurisdiction, the UK, to
> provide a skeleton.
>
> Does that look about right ?  If so then we should send out a call on
> xen-announce for community members to add their own dates.
>
> The policy doesn't explicitly ask us to avoid holidays.  It talks
> about a "usual starting point" and "reasons to diverge".  We have
> usually treated public holidays (at least, ones which are widely
> observed) as reasons to diverge and no-one seems to object to this
> practice.
>
> If anyone things this needs to be made more explicit in the policy, I
> wouldn't oppose that, but personally I think what we have is OK.
>
>> I suggest we set a reminder to send out a call for updates in around
>> October of the previous year.
>
> I changed this to September and put it in the bottom of the page.

I think this makes sense. It is probably also worth looking at http://www.officeholidays.com/ (or something similar)

Lars

* Re: Security response; public holidays [and 1 more messages]
@ 2017-05-08 14:48       ` George Dunlap
From: George Dunlap @ 2017-05-08 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Jackson, xen-devel, security-team-members

On 08/05/17 15:29, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Ian Jackson writes ("Security response; public holidays"):
>> It would perhaps be possible to find a holiday calendar listing all
>> known public holidays throughout the world.  But we are interested in
>> public holidays affecting Xen Project community members.
>>
>> I was wondering if we should start a wiki page and invite community
>> members to add their own local holidays.
>
> I have now created this page:
>   https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/HolidayCalendar
>
> I populated it with holidays from my own jurisdiction, the UK, to
> provide a skeleton.
>
> Does that look about right ?  If so then we should send out a call on
> xen-announce for community members to add their own dates.

Looks decent -- I've added some US holidays.

 -George

* Re: Security response; public holidays [and 1 more messages] [and 1 more messages]
@ 2017-05-08 14:50         ` Ian Jackson
From: Ian Jackson @ 2017-05-08 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Dunlap, Lars Kurth; +Cc: xen-devel, security-team-members

Lars Kurth writes ("Re: Security response; public holidays [and 1 more messages]"):
> I think this makes sense. It is probably also worth looking at http://www.officeholidays.com/ (or something similar)

I deliberately decided to avoid one of those portmanteau sites because
the set of holidays listed there may not be the set of ones that the
Xen Project Community cares about.  There is also an awkardness in
referring to a random third-party site with uncertain editorial
practices.

Ie I think the right approach is for community members who care about
this to record the holidays relevant to them in a Xen Project wiki
page.

Ian.

George Dunlap writes ("Re: Security response; public holidays [and 1 more messages]"):
> On 08/05/17 15:29, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > Does that look about right ?  If so then we should send out a call on
> > xen-announce for community members to add their own dates.
>
> Looks decent -- I've added some US holidays.

Thanks.  I'll send out a formal call for contributions in a day or
two.

Ian.

* Re: Security response; public holidays [and 1 more messages] [and 1 more messages]
@ 2017-05-08 15:07           ` George Dunlap
From: George Dunlap @ 2017-05-08 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Jackson, Lars Kurth; +Cc: xen-devel, security-team-members

On 08/05/17 15:50, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Lars Kurth writes ("Re: Security response; public holidays [and 1 more messages]"):
>> I think this makes sense. It is probably also worth looking at http://www.officeholidays.com/ (or something similar)
>
> I deliberately decided to avoid one of those portmanteau sites because
> the set of holidays listed there may not be the set of ones that the
> Xen Project Community cares about.  There is also an awkardness in
> referring to a random third-party site with uncertain editorial
> practices.
>
> Ie I think the right approach is for community members who care about
> this to record the holidays relevant to them in a Xen Project wiki
> page.

+1 to this.  Those might be good prompts for people to remember their
own national holidays which are important; but we're not really in a
position to tell which holidays people actually affect people's
availability.

@ 2017-05-08 15:09             ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2017-05-08 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Dunlap; +Cc: xen-devel, security-team-members, Ian Jackson

> On 8 May 2017, at 16:07, George Dunlap <george.dunlap@citrix.com> wrote:
>
> On 08/05/17 15:50, Ian Jackson wrote:
>> Lars Kurth writes ("Re: Security response; public holidays [and 1 more messages]"):
>>> I think this makes sense. It is probably also worth looking at http://www.officeholidays.com/ (or something similar)
>>
>> I deliberately decided to avoid one of those portmanteau sites because
>> the set of holidays listed there may not be the set of ones that the
>> Xen Project Community cares about.  There is also an awkardness in
>> referring to a random third-party site with uncertain editorial
>> practices.
>>
>> Ie I think the right approach is for community members who care about
>> this to record the holidays relevant to them in a Xen Project wiki
>> page.

Agreed: this was more about checking what people add to the wiki page.

> +1 to this.  Those might be good prompts for people to remember their
> own national holidays which are important; but we're not really in a
> position to tell which holidays people actually affect people's
> availability.

+1

Lars