* [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Network loops on gateways join
@ 2018-09-11 16:38 Francesco Salvatore [fabbricadigitale]
From: Francesco Salvatore [fabbricadigitale] @ 2018-09-11 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n

Hi all,
We're running a mesh network made of a cloud of clients and multiple
gateways on two separate VLANs (on eth0, not on top of BATMAN).
The setup is similar to the one described in the figure.
https://www.open-mesh.org/attachments/download/132/Test_2xLAN.dia.png

We noticed that, sometimes, when new gateways are added to the already
running infrastructure network loops appear on VLANs
We dumped VLANs network traffic during one of these loops and we saw a storm
of BLA frames that collapsed the network. It seems that the frame (an
ANNOUNCE one, in this case) was firstly generated by a gateway and started
to loop inside the LAN, and then even the others gateways propagated the
same frame. After a few seconds also other frames (coming from different
gateways) started to loop.

Our hypothesis is that one of gateways directly injects BLA frames inside
mesh and that lead to an unmanageable loop. So, we have 2 questions:
	- Are BLA frames (except for LOOP DETECT) allowed to flow only on
LAN?
	- If so, is our hypothesis reasonable?

You can see the situation described above in the screenshot below.
http://oi63.tinypic.com/v7wl1w.jpg

Clients and gateways are both made of RPis 3 Model B running BATMAN v2017.3

Thank you.

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Network loops on gateways join
@ 2018-09-12  8:34 ` Simon Wunderlich
From: Simon Wunderlich @ 2018-09-12  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n

Hi Francesco,

On Tuesday, September 11, 2018 4:38:13 PM CEST Francesco Salvatore
[fabbricadigitale] wrote:
> Hi all,
> We're running a mesh network made of a cloud of clients and multiple
> gateways on two separate VLANs (on eth0, not on top of BATMAN).
> The setup is similar to the one described in the figure.
> https://www.open-mesh.org/attachments/download/132/Test_2xLAN.dia.png
>
> We noticed that, sometimes, when new gateways are added to the already
> running infrastructure network loops appear on VLANs
> We dumped VLANs network traffic during one of these loops and we saw a storm
> of BLA frames that collapsed the network. It seems that the frame (an
> ANNOUNCE one, in this case) was firstly generated by a gateway and started
> to loop inside the LAN, and then even the others gateways propagated the
> same frame. After a few seconds also other frames (coming from different
> gateways) started to loop.
>
> Our hypothesis is that one of gateways directly injects BLA frames inside
> mesh and that lead to an unmanageable loop. So, we have 2 questions:
> 	- Are BLA frames (except for LOOP DETECT) allowed to flow only on
> LAN?

Yes, all frames except LOOP DETECT are blocked in BATMAN

> 	- If so, is our hypothesis reasonable?
>
> You can see the situation described above in the screenshot below.
> http://oi63.tinypic.com/v7wl1w.jpg

Unfortunately the screenshot doesn't describe which packets looped exactly.

Are you sure it's an announce frame? It could also be a claim frame where two
hosts try to claim hosts from each other.

BATMAN has a grace period to allow broadcasts from the LAN only after 1 minute
of operation. This is done to make sure that the mesh is properly established
and other gateways and their claims are detected before traffic is allowed on
it, at least potentially looping traffic. Therefore, you should make sure
(e.g. in your firmware or setup scripts) that the LAN is operational once
batman is brought op.

If the mesh isn't fully established or it's actually split due to different
channels or similar, then you may run in an unresolved limitation of BLA:

https://www.open-mesh.org/projects/batman-adv/wiki/Bridge-loop-avoidance-II#Limitations

For this reason we have the loop detect packets. If a loop is detected, an
uevent is sent to userspace, and the firmware should react appropiately, e.g.
by shutting down batman-adv.

Cheers,
      Simon

* [B.A.T.M.A.N.] R:  Network loops on gateways join
@ 2018-09-12 10:44   ` Francesco Salvatore [fabbricadigitale]
From: Francesco Salvatore [fabbricadigitale] @ 2018-09-12 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Wunderlich, b.a.t.m.a.n

Hi Simon,
> Hi Francesco,
>
> On Tuesday, September 11, 2018 4:38:13 PM CEST Francesco Salvatore
> [fabbricadigitale] wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > We're running a mesh network made of a cloud of clients and multiple
> > gateways on two separate VLANs (on eth0, not on top of BATMAN).
> > The setup is similar to the one described in the figure.
> > https://www.open-
> mesh.org/attachments/download/132/Test_2xLAN.dia.png
> >
> > We noticed that, sometimes, when new gateways are added to the already
> > running infrastructure network loops appear on VLANs We dumped VLANs
> > network traffic during one of these loops and we saw a storm of BLA
> > frames that collapsed the network. It seems that the frame (an
> > ANNOUNCE one, in this case) was firstly generated by a gateway and
> > started to loop inside the LAN, and then even the others gateways
> > propagated the same frame. After a few seconds also other frames
> > (coming from different
> > gateways) started to loop.
> >
> > Our hypothesis is that one of gateways directly injects BLA frames
> > inside mesh and that lead to an unmanageable loop. So, we have 2
> questions:
> > 	- Are BLA frames (except for LOOP DETECT) allowed to flow only on
> > LAN?
>
> Yes, all frames except LOOP DETECT are blocked in BATMAN
>
> > 	- If so, is our hypothesis reasonable?
> >
> > You can see the situation described above in the screenshot below.
> > http://oi63.tinypic.com/v7wl1w.jpg
>
> Unfortunately the screenshot doesn't describe which packets looped
> exactly.
>
> Are you sure it's an announce frame? It could also be a claim frame where
> two hosts try to claim hosts from each other.

As you can see here (http://oi66.tinypic.com/ofo5jn.jpg) the frame that's
looping is an ANNOUNCE one, and so are the ones coming from Legra_55:3c:dc
The last ANNOUNCE frame from those MACs were sent 10 seconds before they
started looping, so it seems that at a certain time one of the gateways
started to forward BLA broadcast traffic from LAN to mesh.

> BATMAN has a grace period to allow broadcasts from the LAN only after 1
> minute of operation. This is done to make sure that the mesh is properly
> established and other gateways and their claims are detected before
traffic is
> allowed on it, at least potentially looping traffic. Therefore, you should
make
> sure (e.g. in your firmware or setup scripts) that the LAN is operational
once
> batman is brought op.
>
> If the mesh isn't fully established or it's actually split due to
different
> channels or similar, then you may run in an unresolved limitation of BLA:
>
> https://www.open-mesh.org/projects/batman-adv/wiki/Bridge-loop-
> avoidance-II#Limitations
>
> For this reason we have the loop detect packets. If a loop is detected, an
> uevent is sent to userspace, and the firmware should react appropiately,
e.g.
> by shutting down batman-adv.

We start gateways with this script placed in rc.local

sudo pkill wpa_supplicant
sudo modprobe batman-adv
sudo ip link set wlan0 down
sleep 2s
sudo iwconfig wlan0  mode ad-hoc
sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid mesh-network
sudo iwconfig wlan0 ap any
sudo iwconfig wlan0 channel 44
sudo ip link set wlan0 up
sudo batctl if add wlan0
sleep 1s
sudo ip addr flush dev eth0
sudo ip link add name br-lan type bridge
sudo ip link set dev eth0 master br-lan
sudo ip link set dev bat0 master br-lan
sudo ip link set up dev br-lan
sudo batctl bl 1
sudo batctl gw server

As far as I can see the bridge interface gets IP/connectivity from LAN a few
seconds after the script quits. Are there steps correct or there are
possible timing issues?
We're using the same essid/channel for all originators

> Cheers,
>       Simon

Cheers,
Francesco

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] R:  Network loops on gateways join
@ 2018-09-17 13:56     ` Simon Wunderlich
From: Simon Wunderlich @ 2018-09-17 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francesco Salvatore [fabbricadigitale]; +Cc: b.a.t.m.a.n

Hi Francesco,

On Wednesday, September 12, 2018 10:44:36 AM CEST Francesco Salvatore
[fabbricadigitale] wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> > Hi Francesco,
> >
> > On Tuesday, September 11, 2018 4:38:13 PM CEST Francesco Salvatore
> >
> > [fabbricadigitale] wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > > We're running a mesh network made of a cloud of clients and multiple
> > > gateways on two separate VLANs (on eth0, not on top of BATMAN).
> > > The setup is similar to the one described in the figure.
> > > https://www.open-> >
> > mesh.org/attachments/download/132/Test_2xLAN.dia.png
> >
> > > We noticed that, sometimes, when new gateways are added to the already
> > > running infrastructure network loops appear on VLANs We dumped VLANs
> > > network traffic during one of these loops and we saw a storm of BLA
> > > frames that collapsed the network. It seems that the frame (an
> > > ANNOUNCE one, in this case) was firstly generated by a gateway and
> > > started to loop inside the LAN, and then even the others gateways
> > > propagated the same frame. After a few seconds also other frames
> > > (coming from different
> > > gateways) started to loop.
> > >
> > > Our hypothesis is that one of gateways directly injects BLA frames
> > > inside mesh and that lead to an unmanageable loop. So, we have 2
> >
> > questions:
> > > 	- Are BLA frames (except for LOOP DETECT) allowed to flow only on
> > >
> > > LAN?
> >
> > Yes, all frames except LOOP DETECT are blocked in BATMAN
> >
> > > 	- If so, is our hypothesis reasonable?
> > >
> > > You can see the situation described above in the screenshot below.
> > > http://oi63.tinypic.com/v7wl1w.jpg
> >
> > Unfortunately the screenshot doesn't describe which packets looped
> > exactly.
> >
> > Are you sure it's an announce frame? It could also be a claim frame where
> > two hosts try to claim hosts from each other.
>
> As you can see here (http://oi66.tinypic.com/ofo5jn.jpg) the frame that's
> looping is an ANNOUNCE one, and so are the ones coming from Legra_55:3c:dc
> The last ANNOUNCE frame from those MACs were sent 10 seconds before they
> started looping, so it seems that at a certain time one of the gateways
> started to forward BLA broadcast traffic from LAN to mesh.

That certainly looks like an announce frame. Do you see any other frames in
between, like claim frames?

Announces are also sent after a couple of claim frames upon a request (check
batadv_bla_answer_request). We actually had a bug where inconsistencies among
the BLA tables could happen, but that was fixed before 2017.3 ...

> > BATMAN has a grace period to allow broadcasts from the LAN only after 1
> > minute of operation. This is done to make sure that the mesh is properly
> > established and other gateways and their claims are detected before
>
> traffic is
>
> > allowed on it, at least potentially looping traffic. Therefore, you should
>
> make
>
> > sure (e.g. in your firmware or setup scripts) that the LAN is operational
>
> once
>
> > batman is brought op.
> >
> > If the mesh isn't fully established or it's actually split due to
>
> different
>
> > channels or similar, then you may run in an unresolved limitation of BLA:
> >
> > https://www.open-mesh.org/projects/batman-adv/wiki/Bridge-loop-> > avoidance-II#Limitations
> >
> > For this reason we have the loop detect packets. If a loop is detected, an
> > uevent is sent to userspace, and the firmware should react appropiately,
>
> e.g.
>
> > by shutting down batman-adv.
>
> We start gateways with this script placed in rc.local
>
> sudo pkill wpa_supplicant
> sudo modprobe batman-adv
> sudo ip link set wlan0 down
> sleep 2s
> sudo iwconfig wlan0  mode ad-hoc
> sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid mesh-network
> sudo iwconfig wlan0 ap any
> sudo iwconfig wlan0 channel 44
> sudo ip link set wlan0 up
> sudo batctl if add wlan0
> sleep 1s
> sudo ip addr flush dev eth0
> sudo ip link add name br-lan type bridge
> sudo ip link set dev eth0 master br-lan
> sudo ip link set dev bat0 master br-lan
> sudo ip link set up dev br-lan
> sudo batctl bl 1
> sudo batctl gw server
>

> As far as I can see the bridge interface gets IP/connectivity from LAN a few
> seconds after the script quits. Are there steps correct or there are
> possible timing issues?
> We're using the same essid/channel for all originators

It would be good to do "batctl bl 1" before adding bat0 to the bridge,
otherwise you are not protected. Other than that, it looks fine to me.

Cheers,
      Simon

* [B.A.T.M.A.N.] R: R:  Network loops on gateways join
@ 2018-09-17 15:44       ` Francesco Salvatore [fabbricadigitale]
From: Francesco Salvatore [fabbricadigitale] @ 2018-09-17 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Wunderlich; +Cc: b.a.t.m.a.n

Hi Simon,

> Hi Francesco,
>
> On Wednesday, September 12, 2018 10:44:36 AM CEST Francesco Salvatore
> [fabbricadigitale] wrote:
> > Hi Simon,
> >
> > > Hi Francesco,

> BATMAN).
> > > mesh.org/attachments/download/132/Test_2xLAN.dia.png

> > > questions:

> > > Yes, all frames except LOOP DETECT are blocked in BATMAN

> > > Unfortunately the screenshot doesn't describe which packets looped
> > > exactly.
> > >
> > > Are you sure it's an announce frame? It could also be a claim frame
> > > where two hosts try to claim hosts from each other.
> >
> > As you can see here (http://oi66.tinypic.com/ofo5jn.jpg) the frame
> > that's looping is an ANNOUNCE one, and so are the ones coming from
> > Legra_55:3c:dc The last ANNOUNCE frame from those MACs were sent 10
> > seconds before they started looping, so it seems that at a certain
> > time one of the gateways started to forward BLA broadcast traffic from
> LAN to mesh.
>
> That certainly looks like an announce frame. Do you see any other frames
in
> between, like claim frames?
>
> Announces are also sent after a couple of claim frames upon a request
> (check batadv_bla_answer_request). We actually had a bug where
> inconsistencies among the BLA tables could happen, but that was fixed
> before 2017.3 ...

BLA traffic seems regular. This
(https://mega.nz/#!9ZkmharA!S9mFxvpnnnseu_l8H7MPfoZ7X1Ef0lNrJLVQOpgTg4w) is
a dump of  the broadcast traffic captured from LAN ports of four gateway (on
two separate VLANs). As you can see loop starts at packet 2660.
The four gateways are:
.	00:0f:00:68:97:e4 (Bridge IP 10.140.0.61)
.	00:0f:00:68:9f:4b (Bridge IP 10.140.0.17)
.	00:0f:00:68:96:66 (Bridge IP 10.140.16.19)
.	00:0f:00:55:3c:dc (Bridge IP 10.140.16.61)

> > > BATMAN has a grace period to allow broadcasts from the LAN only
> > > after 1 minute of operation. This is done to make sure that the mesh
> > > is properly established and other gateways and their claims are
> > > detected before
> >
> > traffic is
> >
> > > allowed on it, at least potentially looping traffic. Therefore, you
> > > should
> >
> > make
> >
> > > sure (e.g. in your firmware or setup scripts) that the LAN is
> > > operational
> >
> > once
> >
> > > batman is brought op.
> > >
> > > If the mesh isn't fully established or it's actually split due to
> >
> > different
> >
> > > channels or similar, then you may run in an unresolved limitation of
BLA:

> > > https://www.open-mesh.org/projects/batman-adv/wiki/Bridge-loop-> >
> > > avoidance-II#Limitations
> > >
> > > For this reason we have the loop detect packets. If a loop is
> > > detected, an uevent is sent to userspace, and the firmware should
> > > react appropiately,
> >
> > e.g.
> >
> > > by shutting down batman-adv.
> >
> > We start gateways with this script placed in rc.local
> >
> > sudo pkill wpa_supplicant
> > sudo modprobe batman-adv
> > sudo ip link set wlan0 down
> > sleep 2s
> > sudo iwconfig wlan0  mode ad-hoc
> > sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid mesh-network sudo iwconfig wlan0 ap any sudo
> > iwconfig wlan0 channel 44 sudo ip link set wlan0 up sudo batctl if add
> > wlan0 sleep 1s sudo ip addr flush dev eth0 sudo ip link add name
> > br-lan type bridge sudo ip link set dev eth0 master br-lan sudo ip
> > link set dev bat0 master br-lan sudo ip link set up dev br-lan sudo
> > batctl bl 1 sudo batctl gw server
> >

> > As far as I can see the bridge interface gets IP/connectivity from LAN
> > a few seconds after the script quits. Are there steps correct or there
> > are possible timing issues?
> > We're using the same essid/channel for all originators
>
> It would be good to do "batctl bl 1" before adding bat0 to the bridge,
> otherwise you are not protected. Other than that, it looks fine to me.

Am I wrong or "batctl bl 1" is redundant? As far as I can see, according to
batctl, BLA is turned on by default in gw mode.

> Cheers,
>       Simon

Regards,
Francesco

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] R: R:  Network loops on gateways join
@ 2018-09-18 12:44         ` Simon Wunderlich
From: Simon Wunderlich @ 2018-09-18 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francesco Salvatore [fabbricadigitale]; +Cc: b.a.t.m.a.n