* [Intel-wired-lan] ixgbe FdirMode for Perfect filter mode
@ 2016-09-23 14:56 Kurien Mathew
From: Kurien Mathew @ 2016-09-23 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: intel-wired-lan

Hello,

On module ixgbe, I am looking to set option FdirMode<https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/networking/ixgbe.txt> to 2 so as to enable the "Perfect filter" mode. This parameter is not reported by "modinfo ixgbe" and using it in /etc/modprobe.d/ixgbe.conf causes "modprobe ixgbe" to fail with the message "ixgbe: Unknown parameter `FdirMode'" in dmesg.

How can one activate the "Perfect filter" mode mentioned in the module readme<https://sourceforge.net/projects/e1000/files/ixgbe%20stable/4.4.6/ixgbe-4.4.6.tar.gz/download>?

Kurien

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [Intel-wired-lan] ixgbe FdirMode for Perfect filter mode
@ 2016-09-23 16:01 ` Tantilov, Emil S
From: Tantilov, Emil S @ 2016-09-23 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: intel-wired-lan

To: intel-wired-lan@lists.osuosl.org
>Subject: [Intel-wired-lan] ixgbe FdirMode for Perfect filter mode
>
>Hello,
>
>On module ixgbe, I am looking to set option FdirMode
><https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/networking/ixgbe.txt>  to 2 so as
>to enable the "Perfect filter" mode. This parameter is not reported by
>"modinfo ixgbe" and using it in /etc/modprobe.d/ixgbe.conf causes "modprobe
>ixgbe" to fail with the message "ixgbe: Unknown parameter `FdirMode'" in
>dmesg.

In the paragraph right above FdirMode (which does not exist anymore btw)
there is an example of enabling perfect filters with ethtool.

Thanks,
Emil

* [Intel-wired-lan] ixgbe FdirMode for Perfect filter mode
@ 2016-09-23 16:25   ` Kurien Mathew
From: Kurien Mathew @ 2016-09-23 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: intel-wired-lan

I see commands for enabling fdir (flow director) and adding filters but no way to enable "perfect filter" mode instead of the "ATR" mode which is mentioned as the default director mode.

Other ethtool Commands:

To enable Flow Director

                ethtool -K ethX ntuple on

To add a filter

                Use -U switch. e.g., ethtool -U ethX flow-type tcp4 src-ip 10.0.128.23

        action 1

To see the list of filters currently present:

                ethtool -u ethX

I would like to have balanced queues by having automatic perfect filtering when using "rx-flow-hash udp sfdn".

[root at ace ~]# ethtool -u ens802f1 rx-flow-hash udp4
UDP over IPV4 flows use these fields for computing Hash flow key:
IP SA
IP DA
L4 bytes 0 & 1 [TCP/UDP src port]
L4 bytes 2 & 3 [TCP/UDP dst port]

Currently I find that one or a few queues are populated irrespective of the number of unique UDP streams (in my case it is 16). If I use explicit rules using < flow-type udp4 dst-port <xxxxx> action <n>, all specified queues are populated but one queue remains dominant and receives way more packets.

Kurien

@ 2016-09-23 18:02     ` Tantilov, Emil S
From: Tantilov, Emil S @ 2016-09-23 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
>I see commands for enabling fdir (flow director) and adding filters but no
>way to enable "perfect filter" mode instead of the "ATR" mode which is
>mentioned as the default director mode.
>
>Other ethtool Commands:
>
>To enable Flow Director
>
>                ethtool -K ethX ntuple on

This will enable "perfect filter" mode, but there are no filters yet, so the
received packets will fall back to RSS.

>To add a filter
>
>                Use -U switch. e.g., ethtool -U ethX flow-type tcp4 src-ip
>10.0.128.23
>
>        action 1
>
>To see the list of filters currently present:
>
>                ethtool -u ethX
>

>I would like to have balanced queues by having automatic perfect filtering
>when using "rx-flow-hash udp sfdn".

This will enable RSS for UDP, but I'm not sure what you mean by "automatic perfect filtering".

>[root at ace ~]# ethtool -u ens802f1 rx-flow-hash udp4
>
>UDP over IPV4 flows use these fields for computing Hash flow key:
>
>IP SA
>
>IP DA
>
>L4 bytes 0 & 1 [TCP/UDP src port]
>
>L4 bytes 2 & 3 [TCP/UDP dst port]
>

>Currently I find that one or a few queues are populated irrespective of the
>number of unique UDP streams (in my case it is 16). If I use explicit rules
>using < flow-type udp4 dst-port <xxxxx> action <n>, all specified queues
>are populated but one queue remains dominant and receives way more packets.

Probably due to fragmented UDP packets.

Thanks,
Emil

* [Intel-wired-lan] ixgbe FdirMode for Perfect filter mode
@ 2016-09-23 19:22       ` Kurien Mathew
From: Kurien Mathew @ 2016-09-23 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: intel-wired-lan

>>This will enable RSS for UDP, but I'm not sure what you mean by "automatic perfect filtering".

Yes, RSS for UDP along with precise distribution of packets to queues is what I want. Eg if I have 16 UDP streams coming in I want each to go to a different RX queue based on the "sdfn" hash (resulting in 16 active RSS queues). The benefit of the "sdfn" hash is that it is automatic as opposed to explicit rules which don't work when the application defined ports change dynamically.

>>Probably due to fragmented UDP packets.

Good point. I forgot to mention that the UDP flows use jumbo packets. This could explain why some packets escape the filter and go into a default queue. Do you have suggestions on how to handle this case using rx-flow-hash? Can the ip.id field be used for the hash in order to achieve perfect jumbo UDP filtering?

Kurien

@ 2016-09-26  9:53         ` Kurien Mathew
From: Kurien Mathew @ 2016-09-26  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: intel-wired-lan

Would it be possible to support the IP header field "identification" as an option for rx-flow-hash? I could not find this option in ethtool.

Kurien