* [U-Boot] socfpga cyclone5 dts
@ 2018-10-18 19:28 Simon Goldschmidt
From: Simon Goldschmidt @ 2018-10-18 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Marek,

I was playing with updating the dts files for cyclone5 (and arria5) from
current kernel sources, but I found that the kernel as 4 boards that
U-Boot doesn't have and U-Boot has 6 boards that the kernel doesn't have.

How should I proceed here? Should I copy new boards from the kernel?
Should I keep U-Boot-only boards and try to adjust them to changes (if any)?

Simon

* [U-Boot] socfpga cyclone5 dts
@ 2018-10-18 19:54 ` Marek Vasut
From: Marek Vasut @ 2018-10-18 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 10/18/2018 09:28 PM, Simon Goldschmidt wrote:
> Hi Marek,

Hi,

> I was playing with updating the dts files for cyclone5 (and arria5) from
> current kernel sources, but I found that the kernel as 4 boards that
> U-Boot doesn't have and U-Boot has 6 boards that the kernel doesn't have.

Thanks for doing this, really appreciated (even though it probably
doesn't look that way most of the time).

And yikes, which boards are where , can you list the problematic ones?

> How should I proceed here? Should I copy new boards from the kernel?
> Should I keep U-Boot-only boards and try to adjust them to changes (if
> any)?

I'd say sync as much as possible with kernel and the rest, update. I
don't think there are any real board specific things which would prevent
the update in those DTs missing in the kernel.

--
Best regards,
Marek Vasut

* [U-Boot] socfpga cyclone5 dts
@ 2018-10-18 20:20   ` Simon Goldschmidt
From: Simon Goldschmidt @ 2018-10-18 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Marek Vasut <marek.vasut@gmail.com> schrieb am Do., 18. Okt. 2018, 22:15:

> On 10/18/2018 09:28 PM, Simon Goldschmidt wrote:
> > Hi Marek,
>
> Hi,
>
> > I was playing with updating the dts files for cyclone5 (and arria5) from
> > current kernel sources, but I found that the kernel as 4 boards that
> > U-Boot doesn't have and U-Boot has 6 boards that the kernel doesn't have.
>
> Thanks for doing this, really appreciated (even though it probably
> doesn't look that way most of the time).
>
> And yikes, which boards are where , can you list the problematic ones?
>
> > How should I proceed here? Should I copy new boards from the kernel?
> > Should I keep U-Boot-only boards and try to adjust them to changes (if
> > any)?
>
> I'd say sync as much as possible with kernel and the rest, update. I
> don't think there are any real board specific things which would prevent
> the update in those DTs missing in the kernel.

Ok, I'll just try and prepare a patch that ports the existing boards and
mentions the boards not ported from current kernel sources. I don't want to
remove boards from U-Boot, so we'll just have to test those not in Linux.

Simon

* [U-Boot] socfpga cyclone5 dts
@ 2018-10-18 21:04     ` Marek Vasut
From: Marek Vasut @ 2018-10-18 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 10/18/2018 10:20 PM, Simon Goldschmidt wrote:

> Marek Vasut <marek.vasut at gmail.com <mailto:marek.vasut@gmail.com>>
> schrieb am Do., 18. Okt. 2018, 22:15:
>
>     On 10/18/2018 09:28 PM, Simon Goldschmidt wrote:
>     > Hi Marek,
>
>     Hi,
>
>     > I was playing with updating the dts files for cyclone5 (and
>     arria5) from
>     > current kernel sources, but I found that the kernel as 4 boards that
>     > U-Boot doesn't have and U-Boot has 6 boards that the kernel
>     doesn't have.
>
>     Thanks for doing this, really appreciated (even though it probably
>     doesn't look that way most of the time).
>
>     And yikes, which boards are where , can you list the problematic ones?
>
>     > How should I proceed here? Should I copy new boards from the kernel?
>     > Should I keep U-Boot-only boards and try to adjust them to changes (if
>     > any)?
>
>     I'd say sync as much as possible with kernel and the rest, update. I
>     don't think there are any real board specific things which would prevent
>     the update in those DTs missing in the kernel.
>

> Ok, I'll just try and prepare a patch that ports the existing boards and
> mentions the boards not ported from current kernel sources. I don't want
> to remove boards from U-Boot, so we'll just have to test those not in Linux.

Sounds good!

--
Best regards,
Marek Vasut

* [U-Boot] socfpga cyclone5 dts
@ 2018-10-22 19:55       ` Simon Goldschmidt
From: Simon Goldschmidt @ 2018-10-22 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 18.10.2018 23:04, Marek Vasut wrote:
> On 10/18/2018 10:20 PM, Simon Goldschmidt wrote:
>>
>> Marek Vasut <marek.vasut at gmail.com <mailto:marek.vasut@gmail.com>>
>> schrieb am Do., 18. Okt. 2018, 22:15:
>>
>>      On 10/18/2018 09:28 PM, Simon Goldschmidt wrote:
>>      > Hi Marek,
>>
>>      Hi,
>>
>>      > I was playing with updating the dts files for cyclone5 (and
>>      arria5) from
>>      > current kernel sources, but I found that the kernel as 4 boards that
>>      > U-Boot doesn't have and U-Boot has 6 boards that the kernel
>>      doesn't have.
>>
>>      Thanks for doing this, really appreciated (even though it probably
>>      doesn't look that way most of the time).
>>
>>      And yikes, which boards are where , can you list the problematic ones?
>>
>>      > How should I proceed here? Should I copy new boards from the kernel?
>>      > Should I keep U-Boot-only boards and try to adjust them to changes (if
>>      > any)?
>>
>>      I'd say sync as much as possible with kernel and the rest, update. I
>>      don't think there are any real board specific things which would prevent
>>      the update in those DTs missing in the kernel.
>>

>> Ok, I'll just try and prepare a patch that ports the existing boards and
>> mentions the boards not ported from current kernel sources. I don't want
>> to remove boards from U-Boot, so we'll just have to test those not in Linux.
> Sounds good!

What about the license header? Should we keep the original header for
sync'ed device trees or change it to SPDX?

Simon

* [U-Boot] socfpga cyclone5 dts
@ 2018-10-22 20:48       ` Simon Goldschmidt
From: Simon Goldschmidt @ 2018-10-22 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 18.10.2018 23:04, Marek Vasut wrote:
> On 10/18/2018 10:20 PM, Simon Goldschmidt wrote:
>>
>> Marek Vasut <marek.vasut at gmail.com <mailto:marek.vasut@gmail.com>>
>> schrieb am Do., 18. Okt. 2018, 22:15:
>>
>>      On 10/18/2018 09:28 PM, Simon Goldschmidt wrote:
>>      > Hi Marek,
>>
>>      Hi,
>>
>>      > I was playing with updating the dts files for cyclone5 (and
>>      arria5) from
>>      > current kernel sources, but I found that the kernel as 4 boards that
>>      > U-Boot doesn't have and U-Boot has 6 boards that the kernel
>>      doesn't have.
>>
>>      Thanks for doing this, really appreciated (even though it probably
>>      doesn't look that way most of the time).
>>
>>      And yikes, which boards are where , can you list the problematic ones?
>>
>>      > How should I proceed here? Should I copy new boards from the kernel?
>>      > Should I keep U-Boot-only boards and try to adjust them to changes (if
>>      > any)?
>>
>>      I'd say sync as much as possible with kernel and the rest, update. I
>>      don't think there are any real board specific things which would prevent
>>      the update in those DTs missing in the kernel.
>>

>> Ok, I'll just try and prepare a patch that ports the existing boards and
>> mentions the boards not ported from current kernel sources. I don't want
>> to remove boards from U-Boot, so we'll just have to test those not in Linux.
> Sounds good!

After a short test run, I decided to first ask for the boards before
preparing a patch:

Boards in U-Boot but not in Linux (not updated):
- socfpga_cyclone5_dbm_soc1.dts
- socfpga_cyclone5_de0_nano_soc.dts (is this
'socfpga_cyclone5_de0_sockit.dts'?)
- socfpga_cyclone5_de1_soc.dts
- socfpga_cyclone5_de10_nano.dts
- socfpga_cyclone5_is1.dts
- socfpga_cyclone5_sr1500.dts

Boards in Linux but not in U-Boot:
- socfpga_cyclone5_de0_sockit.dts (is this
'socfpga_cyclone5_de0_nano_soc.dts'?)
- socfpga_cyclone5_sodia.dts

Also, Dinh has enabled the watchdog nearly 4 years ago in
socfpga_cyclone5.dtsi but U-Boot doesn't. Should we keep it enabled or
disable it in the U-Boot specific dts files?

Thanks,
Simon

* [U-Boot] socfpga cyclone5 dts
@ 2018-10-22 22:32         ` Dalon L Westergreen
From: Dalon L Westergreen @ 2018-10-22 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Mon, 2018-10-22 at 22:48 +0200, Simon Goldschmidt wrote:
> On 18.10.2018 23:04, Marek Vasut wrote:
>
> On 10/18/2018 10:20 PM, Simon Goldschmidt wrote:
>

> Marek Vasut <marek.vasut at gmail.com <mailto:marek.vasut@gmail.com>>
> schrieb am Do., 18. Okt. 2018, 22:15:
>
>      On 10/18/2018 09:28 PM, Simon Goldschmidt wrote:
>      > Hi Marek,
>
>      Hi,
>
>      > I was playing with updating the dts files for cyclone5 (and
>      arria5) from
>      > current kernel sources, but I found that the kernel as 4 boards that
>      > U-Boot doesn't have and U-Boot has 6 boards that the kernel
>      doesn't have.
>
>      Thanks for doing this, really appreciated (even though it probably
>      doesn't look that way most of the time).
>
>      And yikes, which boards are where , can you list the problematic ones?
>
>      > How should I proceed here? Should I copy new boards from the kernel?
>      > Should I keep U-Boot-only boards and try to adjust them to changes (if
>      > any)?
>
>      I'd say sync as much as possible with kernel and the rest, update. I
>      don't think there are any real board specific things which would prevent
>      the update in those DTs missing in the kernel.
>

> Ok, I'll just try and prepare a patch that ports the existing boards and
> mentions the boards not ported from current kernel sources. I don't want
> to remove boards from U-Boot, so we'll just have to test those not in Linux.
>
> Sounds good!
>

> After a short test run, I decided to first ask for the boards before
> preparing a patch:
>
> Boards in U-Boot but not in Linux (not updated):
> - socfpga_cyclone5_dbm_soc1.dts
> - socfpga_cyclone5_de0_nano_soc.dts (is this
> 'socfpga_cyclone5_de0_sockit.dts'?)

Yes, these are the same board.

> - socfpga_cyclone5_de1_soc.dts- socfpga_cyclone5_de10_nano.dts-
> socfpga_cyclone5_is1.dts- socfpga_cyclone5_sr1500.dts
> Boards in Linux but not in U-Boot:- socfpga_cyclone5_de0_sockit.dts (is this
> 'socfpga_cyclone5_de0_nano_soc.dts'?)- socfpga_cyclone5_sodia.dts
> Also, Dinh has enabled the watchdog nearly 4 years ago in
> socfpga_cyclone5.dtsi but U-Boot doesn't. Should we keep it enabled or disable
> it in the U-Boot specific dts files?
> Thanks,Simon_______________________________________________U-Boot mailing

* [U-Boot] socfpga cyclone5 dts
@ 2018-10-23  8:39         ` Marek Vasut
From: Marek Vasut @ 2018-10-23  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 10/22/2018 09:55 PM, Simon Goldschmidt wrote:
> On 18.10.2018 23:04, Marek Vasut wrote:
>> On 10/18/2018 10:20 PM, Simon Goldschmidt wrote:
>>>
>>> Marek Vasut <marek.vasut at gmail.com <mailto:marek.vasut@gmail.com>>
>>> schrieb am Do., 18. Okt. 2018, 22:15:
>>>
>>>      On 10/18/2018 09:28 PM, Simon Goldschmidt wrote:
>>>      > Hi Marek,
>>>
>>>      Hi,
>>>
>>>      > I was playing with updating the dts files for cyclone5 (and
>>>      arria5) from
>>>      > current kernel sources, but I found that the kernel as 4
>>> boards that
>>>      > U-Boot doesn't have and U-Boot has 6 boards that the kernel
>>>      doesn't have.
>>>
>>>      Thanks for doing this, really appreciated (even though it probably
>>>      doesn't look that way most of the time).
>>>
>>>      And yikes, which boards are where , can you list the problematic
>>> ones?
>>>
>>>      > How should I proceed here? Should I copy new boards from the
>>> kernel?
>>>      > Should I keep U-Boot-only boards and try to adjust them to
>>> changes (if
>>>      > any)?
>>>
>>>      I'd say sync as much as possible with kernel and the rest,
>>> update. I
>>>      don't think there are any real board specific things which would
>>> prevent
>>>      the update in those DTs missing in the kernel.
>>>

>>> Ok, I'll just try and prepare a patch that ports the existing boards and
>>> mentions the boards not ported from current kernel sources. I don't want
>>> to remove boards from U-Boot, so we'll just have to test those not in
>>> Linux.
>> Sounds good!
>
> What about the license header? Should we keep the original header for
> sync'ed device trees or change it to SPDX?

SPDX please. Even better, fix it in the kernel too :)

--
Best regards,
Marek Vasut

* [U-Boot] socfpga cyclone5 dts
@ 2018-10-23  8:41         ` Marek Vasut
From: Marek Vasut @ 2018-10-23  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 10/22/2018 10:48 PM, Simon Goldschmidt wrote:
> On 18.10.2018 23:04, Marek Vasut wrote:
>> On 10/18/2018 10:20 PM, Simon Goldschmidt wrote:
>>>
>>> Marek Vasut <marek.vasut at gmail.com <mailto:marek.vasut@gmail.com>>
>>> schrieb am Do., 18. Okt. 2018, 22:15:
>>>
>>>      On 10/18/2018 09:28 PM, Simon Goldschmidt wrote:
>>>      > Hi Marek,
>>>
>>>      Hi,
>>>
>>>      > I was playing with updating the dts files for cyclone5 (and
>>>      arria5) from
>>>      > current kernel sources, but I found that the kernel as 4
>>> boards that
>>>      > U-Boot doesn't have and U-Boot has 6 boards that the kernel
>>>      doesn't have.
>>>
>>>      Thanks for doing this, really appreciated (even though it probably
>>>      doesn't look that way most of the time).
>>>
>>>      And yikes, which boards are where , can you list the problematic
>>> ones?
>>>
>>>      > How should I proceed here? Should I copy new boards from the
>>> kernel?
>>>      > Should I keep U-Boot-only boards and try to adjust them to
>>> changes (if
>>>      > any)?
>>>
>>>      I'd say sync as much as possible with kernel and the rest,
>>> update. I
>>>      don't think there are any real board specific things which would
>>> prevent
>>>      the update in those DTs missing in the kernel.
>>>

>>> Ok, I'll just try and prepare a patch that ports the existing boards and
>>> mentions the boards not ported from current kernel sources. I don't want
>>> to remove boards from U-Boot, so we'll just have to test those not in
>>> Linux.
>> Sounds good!
>
> After a short test run, I decided to first ask for the boards before
> preparing a patch:
>
> Boards in U-Boot but not in Linux (not updated):
> - socfpga_cyclone5_dbm_soc1.dts

Hum, I should upstream that one.

> - socfpga_cyclone5_de0_nano_soc.dts (is this
> 'socfpga_cyclone5_de0_sockit.dts'?)

There is no de0-sockit. There is de0-nano-soc and there is sockit ,
these are two different boards.

> - socfpga_cyclone5_de1_soc.dts
> - socfpga_cyclone5_de10_nano.dts

These should be upstream.

> - socfpga_cyclone5_is1.dts
> - socfpga_cyclone5_sr1500.dts

CCing Stefan.

> Boards in Linux but not in U-Boot:
> - socfpga_cyclone5_de0_sockit.dts (is this
> 'socfpga_cyclone5_de0_nano_soc.dts'?)

Wasn't this removed to de0-nano-soc in next ?

> - socfpga_cyclone5_sodia.dts
>
> Also, Dinh has enabled the watchdog nearly 4 years ago in
> socfpga_cyclone5.dtsi but U-Boot doesn't. Should we keep it enabled or
> disable it in the U-Boot specific dts files?

Disable it in board files to keep the current behavior.

--
Best regards,
Marek Vasut

* [U-Boot] socfpga cyclone5 dts
@ 2018-10-23  8:52           ` Simon Goldschmidt
From: Simon Goldschmidt @ 2018-10-23  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 10:42 AM Marek Vasut <marex@denx.de> wrote:

> On 10/22/2018 10:48 PM, Simon Goldschmidt wrote:

> >> Sounds good!
> >
> > After a short test run, I decided to first ask for the boards before
> > preparing a patch:
> >
> > Boards in U-Boot but not in Linux (not updated):
> > - socfpga_cyclone5_dbm_soc1.dts
>
> Hum, I should upstream that one.
>
> > - socfpga_cyclone5_de0_nano_soc.dts (is this
> > 'socfpga_cyclone5_de0_sockit.dts'?)
>
> There is no de0-sockit. There is de0-nano-soc and there is sockit ,
> these are two different boards.

Fixed in linux-next, I compared 4.19, see below.

> > - socfpga_cyclone5_de1_soc.dts
> > - socfpga_cyclone5_de10_nano.dts
>
> These should be upstream.

But they aren't? Or did you mean "these should be upstreamed"? By whom?

> > - socfpga_cyclone5_is1.dts
> > - socfpga_cyclone5_sr1500.dts
>
> CCing Stefan.
>
> > Boards in Linux but not in U-Boot:
> > - socfpga_cyclone5_de0_sockit.dts (is this
> > 'socfpga_cyclone5_de0_nano_soc.dts'?)
>
> Wasn't this removed to de0-nano-soc in next ?

Yes, sorry, I was comparing v4.19, not linux-next. You're right that
this is renamed in linux-next.

> > - socfpga_cyclone5_sodia.dts
> >
> > Also, Dinh has enabled the watchdog nearly 4 years ago in
> > socfpga_cyclone5.dtsi but U-Boot doesn't. Should we keep it enabled or
> > disable it in the U-Boot specific dts files?
>
> Disable it in board files to keep the current behavior.

Do we enable such things in the "-u-boot.dtsi" "overlay" as well?
Because when adding it to the dts, we end up having diffs again...

Simon

* [U-Boot] socfpga cyclone5 dts
@ 2018-10-23  8:54             ` Marek Vasut
From: Marek Vasut @ 2018-10-23  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 10/23/2018 10:52 AM, Simon Goldschmidt wrote:
[...]

>>> - socfpga_cyclone5_de1_soc.dts
>>> - socfpga_cyclone5_de10_nano.dts
>>
>> These should be upstream.
>
> But they aren't? Or did you mean "these should be upstreamed"? By whom?

CCing Dinh :-)

[...]

@ 2018-10-23  9:28           ` Stefan Roese
From: Stefan Roese @ 2018-10-23  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 23.10.18 10:41, Marek Vasut wrote:
> On 10/22/2018 10:48 PM, Simon Goldschmidt wrote:

>>> Sounds good!
>>
>> After a short test run, I decided to first ask for the boards before
>> preparing a patch:
>>
>> Boards in U-Boot but not in Linux (not updated):
>> - socfpga_cyclone5_dbm_soc1.dts
>
> Hum, I should upstream that one.
>
>> - socfpga_cyclone5_de0_nano_soc.dts (is this
>> 'socfpga_cyclone5_de0_sockit.dts'?)
>
> There is no de0-sockit. There is de0-nano-soc and there is sockit ,
> these are two different boards.
>
>> - socfpga_cyclone5_de1_soc.dts
>> - socfpga_cyclone5_de10_nano.dts
>
> These should be upstream.
>
>> - socfpga_cyclone5_is1.dts
>> - socfpga_cyclone5_sr1500.dts
>
> CCing Stefan.

Thanks. Simon, It would be great, if you could update those 2 dts
files.

Thanks,
Stefan

* [U-Boot] socfpga cyclone5 dts
@ 2018-10-24 19:44               ` Simon Goldschmidt
From: Simon Goldschmidt @ 2018-10-24 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 23.10.2018 10:54, Marek Vasut wrote:
> On 10/23/2018 10:52 AM, Simon Goldschmidt wrote:
> [...]
>>> These should be upstream.
>> But they aren't? Or did you mean "these should be upstreamed"? By whom?
> CCing Dinh :-)
>
> [...]
>>> Disable it in board files to keep the current behavior.
>> Do we enable such things in the "-u-boot.dtsi" "overlay" as well?
>> Because when adding it to the dts, we end up having diffs again...
> Sounds good!

To get the Linux devicetree running on the socrates board, I had to add
the "clock-frequency" property to the uart(s). What's the status here,
socfpga gen5 does not support getting clock rates from the device tree,
is that correct?

If so, I'll put the clock-frequency into the "-u-boot.dtsi" files, as
well. They can be removed once the clock drivers work.

Also, the gpio controllers are now missing the "bank-name" property,
without which they fail to register. Since this property is not even
described in device tree bindings, I chose to add a fallback to the
driver to use 'fdt_get_name()' to get a name. The downside is that
searching a GPIO by bank name might now fail. Is this acceptable? If
not, we'll have to add the "bank-name" properties to the "-u-boot.dtsi"
files as well. But since most gpio drivers seem to do it that way, I
figured it should be OK...

I haven't tested QSPI yet, and I only have access to a SoCrates board,
but aside from some "u-boot,dm-pre-reloc" strings, my "-u-boot.dtsi"
currently only sets "clock-frequency" for the uarts and disables the
watchdog and everything seems to boot fine so far.

Simon

* [U-Boot] socfpga cyclone5 dts
@ 2018-10-25  7:26                 ` Marek Vasut
From: Marek Vasut @ 2018-10-25  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 10/24/2018 09:44 PM, Simon Goldschmidt wrote:
> On 23.10.2018 10:54, Marek Vasut wrote:
>> On 10/23/2018 10:52 AM, Simon Goldschmidt wrote:
>> [...]
>>> But they aren't? Or did you mean "these should be upstreamed"? By whom?
>> CCing Dinh :-)
>>
>> [...]
>>> Do we enable such things in the "-u-boot.dtsi" "overlay" as well?
>>> Because when adding it to the dts, we end up having diffs again...
>> Sounds good!
>
> To get the Linux devicetree running on the socrates board, I had to add
> the "clock-frequency" property to the uart(s). What's the status here,
> socfpga gen5 does not support getting clock rates from the device tree,
> is that correct?

We don't have a clock driver on Gen5, right.

> If so, I'll put the clock-frequency into the "-u-boot.dtsi" files, as
> well. They can be removed once the clock drivers work.

This is per-board, so it should go into each boards' -u-boot.dts

> Also, the gpio controllers are now missing the "bank-name" property,
> without which they fail to register. Since this property is not even
> described in device tree bindings, I chose to add a fallback to the
> driver to use 'fdt_get_name()' to get a name. The downside is that
> searching a GPIO by bank name might now fail. Is this acceptable? If
> not, we'll have to add the "bank-name" properties to the "-u-boot.dtsi"
> files as well. But since most gpio drivers seem to do it that way, I
> figured it should be OK...

Either re-add the bank-name to -u-boot.dtsi or fix the GPIO handling
code. I'd prefer the former, since someone might depend on those GPIO
bank names in their scripts.

> I haven't tested QSPI yet, and I only have access to a SoCrates board,
> but aside from some "u-boot,dm-pre-reloc" strings, my "-u-boot.dtsi"
> currently only sets "clock-frequency" for the uarts and disables the
> watchdog and everything seems to boot fine so far.

Cool!

--
Best regards,
Marek Vasut