* wireguard performance
@ 2022-04-04 21:34 Devanath S
From: Devanath S @ 2022-04-04 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All,

We were trying to test the performance of wireguard on GCP and found
it around 1G for TCP and around 500-800 for UDP.

Plz do let us know if there are any ways to UP this performance.  Any
suggestion is appreciated.

Regards
Dev

* Re: wireguard performance
@ 2022-04-04 22:56 ` Joe Doss
From: Joe Doss @ 2022-04-04 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

On 4/4/22 4:34 PM, Devanath S wrote:
> We were trying to test the performance of wireguard on GCP and found
> it around 1G for TCP and around 500-800 for UDP.
>
> Plz do let us know if there are any ways to UP this performance.  Any
> suggestion is appreciated.

GCP network defaults to a lower MTU (1460). You might want to adjust
your WireGuard tunnel's MTUs and the default GCP VPC MTU. See:

https://cloud.google.com/network-connectivity/docs/vpn/concepts/mtu-considerations

Joe

--
Joe Doss
joe@solidadmin.com

* Wireguard performance
@ 2017-06-26 12:30 Tiago Condeixa
From: Tiago Condeixa @ 2017-06-26 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have been doing more experiments with heterogenous technologies and =
connections and there is a scenario where I believe that something =
strange is happening with wireguard.
When my board is using a 100 Mbps ethernet connection in a local network =
the iperf3 TCP is able to reach 95Mbps with the direct IP route, but =
when using wireguard the throughput reduces to 65/70 Mbps.=20
It=E2=80=99s not a bad result at all, but I noticed that with wireguard =
the iperf3 CPU consumption goes from 10% to 70% when comparing with =
direct IP route. Do you have any idea why is this happening? ...the =
overall system CPU can slightly increase but I do not expect that happen =
with iperf3.
In other scenarios with other technologies and networks wireguard =
usually reduce 5% of the throughput but in this case it goes beyond 25%.

Thanks a lot,
Tiago=