* Re: python-netifaces in oe?
       [not found] <94BAA6DD-BBE2-46CE-8248-E8432BE9F242@blom.org>
@ 2014-02-20 14:43 ` Martin Jansa
From: Martin Jansa @ 2014-02-20 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Blom; +Cc: openembedded-devel

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 03:35:19PM +0100, Tobias Blom wrote:
> Hi Martin,

Hi Tobias,

> I’m working with a yocto-project and needed a python module (netifaces). I now have a recipe for this, and I just wonder if it’s of any interest push this upstream?

Better to ask in openembedded-devel@lists.openembedded.org

Generally good recipes are always welcome.

> I’m pretty new to Yocto / OE, so I don’t really know how things works. Saw your name in the logs, and thought I’d just send an email and ask…
>
> By the way, thanks for your work!

You're welcome

--
Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa@gmail.com

* Re: python-netifaces in oe?
@ 2014-02-24  6:23   ` Lukas Bulwahn
From: Lukas Bulwahn @ 2014-02-24  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel, Tobias Blom

Hi Tobias,

We provide a recipe for python-netifaces in the meta-ros layer as well.
In fact, a quick search on the OpenEmbedded Layer Index [1] reveals that
meta-ros and meta-openstack both provide a recipe for python-netifaces.
With your use case and recipe, we would have now three recipes. So, I
suggest to unify all three recipes and come up with the best (complete)
recipe from these three versions and add them to the meta-oe layer. We
then can remove the duplicate recipes in the application layers.

Lukas

[1]
http://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/branch/master/recipes/?q=python-netifaces

On 02/20/2014 03:43 PM, Martin Jansa wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 03:35:19PM +0100, Tobias Blom wrote:
>> Hi Martin,
> Hi Tobias,
>
>> I'm working with a yocto-project and needed a python module (netifaces). I now have a recipe for this, and I just wonder if it's of any interest push this upstream?
> Better to ask in openembedded-devel@lists.openembedded.org
>
> Generally good recipes are always welcome.
>
>> I'm pretty new to Yocto / OE, so I don't really know how things works. Saw your name in the logs, and thought I'd just send an email and ask...
>>
>> By the way, thanks for your work!
> You're welcome

* Re: python-netifaces in oe?
@ 2014-02-24  6:26     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2014-02-24  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembeded-devel; +Cc: Tobias Blom

On Feb 23, 2014, at 10:23 PM, Lukas Bulwahn <lukas.bulwahn@oss.bmw-carit.de> wrote:

> Hi Tobias,
>
> We provide a recipe for python-netifaces in the meta-ros layer as well. In fact, a quick search on the OpenEmbedded Layer Index [1] reveals that meta-ros and meta-openstack both provide a recipe for python-netifaces. With your use case and recipe, we would have now three recipes. So, I suggest to unify all three recipes and come up with the best (complete) recipe from these three versions and add them to the meta-oe layer. We then can remove the duplicate recipes in the application layers.

If these layers have dependency on meta-oe then please add the recipe there and remove from other places.

> Lukas
>
> [1] http://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/branch/master/recipes/?q=python-netifaces
>

> On 02/20/2014 03:43 PM, Martin Jansa wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 03:35:19PM +0100, Tobias Blom wrote:
>>> Hi Martin,
>> Hi Tobias,
>>
>>> I'm working with a yocto-project and needed a python module (netifaces). I now have a recipe for this, and I just wonder if it's of any interest push this upstream?
>> Better to ask in openembedded-devel@lists.openembedded.org
>>
>> Generally good recipes are always welcome.
>>
>>> I'm pretty new to Yocto / OE, so I don't really know how things works. Saw your name in the logs, and thought I'd just send an email and ask...
>>>
>>> By the way, thanks for your work!
>> You're welcome

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail --]

* Re: python-netifaces in oe?
@ 2014-02-24 12:19       ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2014-02-24 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel; +Cc: Tobias Blom

On Sunday 23 February 2014 22:26:34 Khem Raj wrote:
> On Feb 23, 2014, at 10:23 PM, Lukas Bulwahn <lukas.bulwahn@oss.bmw-carit.de>
> wrote:
> > We provide a recipe for python-netifaces in the meta-ros layer as well. In
> > fact, a quick search on the OpenEmbedded Layer Index [1] reveals that
> > meta-ros and meta-openstack both provide a recipe for python-netifaces.
> > With your use case and recipe, we would have now three recipes. So, I
> > suggest to unify all three recipes and come up with the best (complete)
> > recipe from these three versions and add them to the meta-oe layer. We
> > then can remove the duplicate recipes in the application layers.
>
> If these layers have dependency on meta-oe then please add the recipe there
> and remove from other places.

There has been some discussion about creating a meta-python layer (within the
meta-openembedded repository) for these kinds of recipes. I think the time has
come to actually do that, before we add any further python recipes to the
general meta-oe layer. Could someone send a patch to create meta-python?

Thanks,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

* Re: python-netifaces in oe?
@ 2014-02-24 12:35         ` Martin Jansa
From: Martin Jansa @ 2014-02-24 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggleton; +Cc: Tobias Blom, openembedded-devel

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 12:19:07PM +0000, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> On Sunday 23 February 2014 22:26:34 Khem Raj wrote:
> > On Feb 23, 2014, at 10:23 PM, Lukas Bulwahn <lukas.bulwahn@oss.bmw-carit.de>
> > wrote:
> > > We provide a recipe for python-netifaces in the meta-ros layer as well. In
> > > fact, a quick search on the OpenEmbedded Layer Index [1] reveals that
> > > meta-ros and meta-openstack both provide a recipe for python-netifaces.
> > > With your use case and recipe, we would have now three recipes. So, I
> > > suggest to unify all three recipes and come up with the best (complete)
> > > recipe from these three versions and add them to the meta-oe layer. We
> > > then can remove the duplicate recipes in the application layers.
> >
> > If these layers have dependency on meta-oe then please add the recipe there
> > and remove from other places.
>
> There has been some discussion about creating a meta-python layer (within the
> meta-openembedded repository) for these kinds of recipes. I think the time has
> come to actually do that, before we add any further python recipes to the
> general meta-oe layer. Could someone send a patch to create meta-python?

I don't mind accepting patch for creating meta-python layer, but the main reason
for it (python-numpy, python-nose, python-mako) were already merged into
oe-core before this question was answered :/

http://lists.openembedded.org/pipermail/openembedded-core/2014-January/088089.html

--

@ 2014-02-24 13:10           ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2014-02-24 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jansa; +Cc: Tobias Blom, openembedded-devel

On Monday 24 February 2014 13:35:16 Martin Jansa wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 12:19:07PM +0000, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> > On Sunday 23 February 2014 22:26:34 Khem Raj wrote:
> > > On Feb 23, 2014, at 10:23 PM, Lukas Bulwahn
> > > <lukas.bulwahn@oss.bmw-carit.de>> >
> > >
> > > If these layers have dependency on meta-oe then please add the recipe
> > > there
> > > and remove from other places.
> >
> > There has been some discussion about creating a meta-python layer (within
> > the meta-openembedded repository) for these kinds of recipes. I think the
> > time has come to actually do that, before we add any further python
> > recipes to the general meta-oe layer. Could someone send a patch to
> > create meta-python?
> I don't mind accepting patch for creating meta-python layer, but the main
> reason for it (python-numpy, python-nose, python-mako) were already merged
> into oe-core before this question was answered :/
>
> http://lists.openembedded.org/pipermail/openembedded-core/2014-January/08808
> 9.html

Well, FWIW I have a few python recipes that could go there and I'm sure there
will be others as well.

Cheers,
Paul
--

@ 2014-02-24 17:41         ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2014-02-24 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggleton; +Cc: Tobias Blom, openembedded-devel

On Monday, February 24, 2014 12:19:07 PM Paul Eggleton wrote:
> On Sunday 23 February 2014 22:26:34 Khem Raj wrote:
> > On Feb 23, 2014, at 10:23 PM, Lukas Bulwahn <lukas.bulwahn@oss.bmw-carit.de>
> > wrote:
> > > We provide a recipe for python-netifaces in the meta-ros layer as well. In
> > > fact, a quick search on the OpenEmbedded Layer Index [1] reveals that
> > > meta-ros and meta-openstack both provide a recipe for python-netifaces.
> > > With your use case and recipe, we would have now three recipes. So, I
> > > suggest to unify all three recipes and come up with the best (complete)
> > > recipe from these three versions and add them to the meta-oe layer. We
> > > then can remove the duplicate recipes in the application layers.
> >
> > If these layers have dependency on meta-oe then please add the recipe there
> > and remove from other places.
>
> There has been some discussion about creating a meta-python layer (within the
> meta-openembedded repository) for these kinds of recipes. I think the time has
> come to actually do that, before we add any further python recipes to the
> general meta-oe layer. Could someone send a patch to create meta-python?

meta-python is good. I always worry about layer being maintained, in fact I have some python
3 extra recipes that I wanted to contribute which dont belong to core.

* Re: python-netifaces in oe?
@ 2014-02-24 17:43           ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2014-02-24 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: Tobias Blom, openembedded-devel

On Monday 24 February 2014 09:41:45 Khem Raj wrote:
> On Monday, February 24, 2014 12:19:07 PM Paul Eggleton wrote:
> > On Sunday 23 February 2014 22:26:34 Khem Raj wrote:
> > > On Feb 23, 2014, at 10:23 PM, Lukas Bulwahn
> > > <lukas.bulwahn@oss.bmw-carit.de>> >
> > >
> > > If these layers have dependency on meta-oe then please add the recipe
> > > there
> > > and remove from other places.
> >
> > There has been some discussion about creating a meta-python layer (within
> > the meta-openembedded repository) for these kinds of recipes. I think the
> > time has come to actually do that, before we add any further python
> > recipes to the general meta-oe layer. Could someone send a patch to
> > create meta-python?
>
> meta-python is good. I always worry about layer being maintained, in fact I
> have some python 3 extra recipes that I wanted to contribute which dont
> belong to core.

Agreed, continued maintenance is important. I would be happy to be co-
maintainer of this if someone else will help me out...

Cheers,
Paul

--

@ 2014-02-24 18:42             ` Tobias Blom