* [MPTCP] Re: [mptcp-dev] mptcp code in kernel 5.8
@ 2020-10-20 14:36 Matthieu Baerts
From: Matthieu Baerts @ 2020-10-20 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mptcp

Hi Sandeep,

On 20/10/2020 16:19, Sandeep Irlanki wrote:
> So, MPTCP flow doesn't work if client is installed with MPTCP V1 and
> server with MPTCP V0? In this case, Client falls back to TCP in initial
> handshake itself?

Yes, that's correct.

This could work if the client was able to do a fallback to MPTCP v0 but
the upstream implementation doesn't support v0 mainly because this
version was recently deprecated and to simplify the code and maintenance.

Cheers,
Matt
--
Tessares | Belgium | Hybrid Access Solutions
www.tessares.net

* [MPTCP] Re: [mptcp-dev] mptcp code in kernel 5.8
@ 2020-10-20 14:19 Sandeep Irlanki
From: Sandeep Irlanki @ 2020-10-20 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mptcp

Hi Matthieu,

So, MPTCP flow doesn't work if client is installed with MPTCP V1 and server
with MPTCP V0? In this case, Client falls back to TCP in initial handshake
itself?

Thanks,
Sandeep.

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020, 2:00 pm Matthieu Baerts <matthieu.baerts(a)tessares.net
wrote:

> Hi Yoshi,
>
> On 15/10/2020 10:09, yoshi nishida wrote:
> > Hmm. I've tried v0.95 mptcp kernel and kernel5.8 on ubuntu20.10.
> > I tried both version 0 and 1 on v.95, but didn't work. But, I might
> > miss something.
>
> I guess you are referring to a sysctl parameter, right? If yes, on
> v0.95, there is a partial support of MPTCPv1 regarding the modifications
> around ADD_ADDR (with or without HMAC I think) but that's it.
>
> The v0.95 doesn't support the new way of initiating an MPTCP connection
> making v0 and v1 incompatible. Of course, except if a fallback from v1
> to v0 is implemented, which is not the case in the upstream version.
>
> But in other words, v0.95 is not compatible with MPTCPv1. Only
> mptcp_trunk is:
>
> https://github.com/multipath-tcp/mptcp/tree/mptcp_trunk
>
> > I will dig into this a bit more as well as some minor issues I noticed
> > during the weekend.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Cheers,
> Matt
> --
> Tessares | Belgium | Hybrid Access Solutions
> www.tessares.net

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.htm --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 2288 bytes --]

* [MPTCP] Re: [mptcp-dev] mptcp code in kernel 5.8
@ 2020-10-16  8:31 yoshi nishida
From: yoshi nishida @ 2020-10-16  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mptcp

Hi Matt,

I see. Sorry for my misunderstanding and thank you so much for the
clarification!
--
Yoshi

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 1:30 AM Matthieu Baerts

@ 2020-10-15  8:30 Matthieu Baerts
From: Matthieu Baerts @ 2020-10-15  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mptcp

Hi Yoshi,

On 15/10/2020 10:09, yoshi nishida wrote:
> Hmm. I've tried v0.95 mptcp kernel and kernel5.8 on ubuntu20.10.
> I tried both version 0 and 1 on v.95, but didn't work. But, I might
> miss something.

I guess you are referring to a sysctl parameter, right? If yes, on
v0.95, there is a partial support of MPTCPv1 regarding the modifications
around ADD_ADDR (with or without HMAC I think) but that's it.

The v0.95 doesn't support the new way of initiating an MPTCP connection
making v0 and v1 incompatible. Of course, except if a fallback from v1
to v0 is implemented, which is not the case in the upstream version.

But in other words, v0.95 is not compatible with MPTCPv1. Only
mptcp_trunk is:

https://github.com/multipath-tcp/mptcp/tree/mptcp_trunk

> I will dig into this a bit more as well as some minor issues I noticed
> during the weekend.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Matt
--

@ 2020-10-15  8:09 yoshi nishida
From: yoshi nishida @ 2020-10-15  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mptcp

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the reply.
Hmm. I've tried v0.95 mptcp kernel and kernel5.8 on ubuntu20.10.
I tried both version 0 and 1 on v.95, but didn't work. But, I might
miss something.
I will dig into this a bit more as well as some minor issues I noticed
during the weekend.

Thank you so much!
--
Yoshi

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 2:13 AM Matthieu Baerts

@ 2020-10-14  9:13 Matthieu Baerts
From: Matthieu Baerts @ 2020-10-14  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mptcp

@ 2020-10-14  9:02 yoshi nishida