From: Jacob Keller <jacob.e.keller@intel.com>
To: Ido Schimmel <idosch@idosch.org>
Cc: Jakub Kicinski <kuba@kernel.org>, Jiri Pirko <jiri@resnulli.us>,
	"netdev@vger.kernel.org" <netdev@vger.kernel.org>,
	petrm@mellanox.com, amitc@mellanox.com
Subject: Re: devlink interface for asynchronous event/messages from firmware?
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 13:59:32 -0700	[thread overview]

On 5/21/2020 1:52 PM, Ido Schimmel wrote:
> On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 01:22:34PM -0700, Jacob Keller wrote:

>>> Why does user space need a raw firmware interface in the first place?
>>>
>>> Examples?
>>>

>> So the ice firmware can optionally send diagnostic debug messages via
>> its control queue. The current solutions we've used internally
>> essentially hex-dump the binary contents to the kernel log, and then
>> these get scraped and converted into a useful format for human consumption.
>>
>> I'm not 100% of the format, but I know it's based on a decoding file
>> that is specific to a given firmware image, and thus attempting to tie
>> this into the driver is problematic.
>
> You explained how it works, but not why it's needed :)

Well, the reason we want it is to be able to read the debug/diagnostics
data in order to debug issues that might be related to firmware or
software mis-use of firmware interfaces.

By having it be a separate interface rather than trying to scrape from
the kernel message buffer, it becomes something we can have as a
possibility for debugging in the field.

>> There is also a plan to provide a simpler interface for some of the
>> diagnostic messages where a simple bijection between one code to one
>> message for a handful of events, like if the link engine can detect a
>> known reason why it wasn't able to get link. I suppose these could be
>> translated and immediately printed by the driver without a special
>> interface.
>
> Petr worked on something similar last year:
> https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/cover.1552672441.git.petrm@mellanox.com/
>
> Amit is currently working on a new version based on ethtool (netlink).

I'll take a look, thanks!

-Jake