* nativesdk-python3 support for mingw
@ 2018-08-22 12:48 Dominik Holland
From: Dominik Holland @ 2018-08-22 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: poky

Hi,

not sure whether my last mail on this actually got on the list (didn't found it on the archive, so sending it again...)

i tried to create a mingw-based windows SDK using poky which also
contains python3 (nativesdk-python3).

It looked like nobody have tried to do this before (or support for it
was removed again ?). So i fixed a few recipes (db, gdbm, ncurses,
readline, openssl) to compile with mingw.

Aftwards i also fixed python3 and got it working in a packaged SDK. To
do that i applied the patches from the mingw package maintainers (~80
patches).

My question is whether all these fixes for the mentioned packages are
wanted ? Is there an interest in supporting a full fledged mingw SDK ?

And are you also interested in the mingw patches for mingw (I didn't
check whether i need all of them, that's probably some python expert
should check).

Thx

 Dominik

* Re: nativesdk-python3 support for mingw
@ 2018-08-22 13:02 ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2018-08-22 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dominik Holland, poky

On Wed, 2018-08-22 at 14:48 +0200, Dominik Holland wrote:
> not sure whether my last mail on this actually got on the list
> (didn't found it on the archive, so sending it again...)
>
> i tried to create a mingw-based windows SDK using poky which also
> contains python3 (nativesdk-python3).
>
> It looked like nobody have tried to do this before (or support for it
> was removed again ?). So i fixed a few recipes (db, gdbm, ncurses,
> readline, openssl) to compile with mingw.
>
> Aftwards i also fixed python3 and got it working in a packaged SDK.
> do that i applied the patches from the mingw package maintainers (~80
> patches).
>
> My question is whether all these fixes for the mentioned packages are
> wanted ? Is there an interest in supporting a full fledged mingw SDK
> ?
>
> And are you also interested in the mingw patches for mingw (I didn't
> check whether i need all of them, that's probably some python expert
> should check).

This work would belong in the meta-mingw layer. That layer is
maintained as a "best effort" currently and as such there aren't plans
to extend its scope. If anyone wanted to step up and help there it
would be much appreciated and anyone doing that could influence what
range of targets were supported on mingw...

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: nativesdk-python3 support for mingw
@ 2018-08-22 18:39 ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2018-08-22 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dominik Holland; +Cc: Poky Project

Out of curiosity, why are you pursuing this? Is someone refusing to
install Linux? :)

(also greetings from Luxoft/Berlin :)

Alex

@ 2018-08-23 10:49   ` Dominik Holland
From: Dominik Holland @ 2018-08-23 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Kanavin; +Cc: Poky Project

Actually that's really the case. Still a lot of companies require the
use of windows also for development.

As our tooling requires python3, it would be great if it can be
cross-compiled for windows and packaged into the SDK.

I've seen other solutions which download precompiled binaries and
install these into the SDK, but in my opinion this is more a hack than a
real solution...

Dominik