* EFI and RT incompatible?
@ 2019-04-02  8:38 Mart van de Wege
From: Mart van de Wege @ 2019-04-02  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-rt-users

Hi,

I compiled 5.0.5-rt3 last week, and after rebooting I found that
efivarfs failed to mount. Loading the efivarfs module gave me
a 'device not found' error.

Rebooting into 5.0.0 (no rt) and efivarfs automounted as usual.

Trouble is, I have no experience with bisecting between two different
branches, so I have no clue on how to start debugging this. Anybody
want to throw me some pointers?

Mart

* Re: EFI and RT incompatible?
@ 2019-04-02 13:23 ` Julien Grall
From: Julien Grall @ 2019-04-02 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mart van de Wege, linux-rt-users

On 02/04/2019 09:38, Mart van de Wege wrote:
> Hi,

Hello Mart,

> I compiled 5.0.5-rt3 last week, and after rebooting I found that
> efivarfs failed to mount. Loading the efivarfs module gave me
> a 'device not found' error.
>
> Rebooting into 5.0.0 (no rt) and efivarfs automounted as usual.
>
> Trouble is, I have no experience with bisecting between two different
> branches, so I have no clue on how to start debugging this. Anybody
> want to throw me some pointers?

Linux-rt is disabling EFI runtime by default because it may increase the latency
of the system (see [1] for more details).

You can override the behavior by adding "efi=runtime" on your kernel command line.

Cheers,

[1] https://marc.info/?l=linux-rt-users&m=155379809327926&w=2

--
Julien Grall

* Re: EFI and RT incompatible?
@ 2019-04-02 13:40   ` Mart van de Wege
From: Mart van de Wege @ 2019-04-02 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Grall, Mart van de Wege, linux-rt-users

On Tue, 2019-04-02 at 14:23 +0100, Julien Grall wrote:

> Linux-rt is disabling EFI runtime by default because it may increase
> the latency of the system (see [1] for more details).
>
> You can override the behavior by adding "efi=runtime" on your kernel
> command line.

Yeah, I saw the 22/3 thread too late.

Thanks anyway,

Mart