* Chances of silent errors?
@ 2013-01-21 19:58 Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk @ 2013-01-21 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid Raid

Hi all

Coming from the zfs world, I've heard a few talk about the chances of "silent errors", meaning the checksum on the drives match, but the data being bad because of matching checksum (aka collisions). Does anyone in here know the relative chance of something like that happening with the checksums of current harddisks? Is the 1:10^14 or 1:10^15 chances for a URE in regard to this, or is that when the drive reports an error, or those two combined?

Vennlige hilsener / Best regards

roy
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk