* meat-ti(master) kernel not working with meta-ivi
@ 2013-11-06 12:01 Jithin Raj
From: Jithin Raj @ 2013-11-06 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-ti

I am trying to build the yocto based meta-ivi (5.0), meta-ti for
Pandaboard.

For building  I used the below procedure

1) git clone git://git.yoctoproject.org/poky

   cd poky

   git checkout dora

   cd -

2) git clone git://git.yoctoproject.org/meta-ivi

   cd meta-ivi

   git checkout 5.0

   cd -

3) git clone git://git.yoctoproject.org/meta-ti

4) source poky/oe-init-build-env

5) modified the bblayer.conf like this.

    BBLAYERS ?= " \

     /home/sfm/yocto/building/poky/meta \

     /home/sfm/yocto/building/poky/meta-yocto \

     /home/sfm/yocto/building/meta-ivi \

     /home/sfm/yocto/building/meta-ti \

6) modified the local.config with

                MACHINE?=pandaboard

7) Add INCOMPATIBLE_LICENSE = "GPLv3" in COREBASE/build/conf/local.conf
file.

8) Set DISTRO ?= "poky-ivi-systemd" in COREBASE/build/conf/local.conf
file.

9) bitbake gemini-image

Once all the generated files are copied to the SD card I switched on the
pandaboard es.

The pandaboard es is hanging while its loading the kernel. Please find
log here:

U-Boot SPL 2011.12 (Nov 05 2013 - 14:12:29)

Texas Instruments OMAP4460 ES1.1

OMAP SD/MMC: 0

reading u-boot.img

reading u-boot.img

U-Boot 2011.12 (Nov 05 2013 - 14:12:29)

CPU  : OMAP4460 ES1.1

Board: OMAP4 Panda

I2C:   ready

DRAM:  1 GiB

MMC:   OMAP SD/MMC: 0

Using default environment

In:    serial

Out:   serial

Err:   serial

Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0

reading boot.scr

338 bytes read

Running bootscript from mmc0 ...

## Executing script at 82000000

reading uImage

4333848 bytes read

## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 80000000 ...

   Image Name:   Linux-3.4.11

   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)

   Data Size:    4333784 Bytes = 4.1 MiB

   Load Address: 80008000

   Entry Point:  80008000

   Verifying Checksum ... OK

OK

Starting kernel ...

Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.

After this nothing is displayed.

I have few doubts in this procedure.

1)      which branch of meta-ti I have to use for dora branch?
(currently am using the master branch).

2)      Do the master branch will work with all the poky branches (like
dora, dylan)?

       3)    Do I need to do any other modification in any file to work
with pandaboard?.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks & regards

Jithin Raj

***** Confidentiality Statement/Disclaimer *****

This message and any attachments is intended for the sole use of the intended recipient. It may contain confidential information. Any unauthorized use, dissemination or modification is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately then delete it from all your systems, and do not copy, use or print. Internet communications are not secure and it is the responsibility of the recipient to make sure that it is virus/malicious code exempt.
The company/sender cannot be responsible for any unauthorized alterations or modifications made to the contents. If you require any form of confirmation of the contents, please contact the company/sender. The company/sender is not liable for any errors or omissions in the content of this message.

* Re: meat-ti(master) kernel not working with meta-ivi
@ 2013-11-06 12:28 ` Heroor, Siddharth
From: Heroor, Siddharth @ 2013-11-06 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jithin Raj; +Cc: meta-ti

Hi Jithin,

Please comments below.

--Sid

Hi,

Please also see if core-minimal and sato images are booting. There isn't much active work happening on panda board and so could you check if a kernel.org<http://kernel.org> is booting fine?

[...]

Master should be fine for Dora. Please also checkout the specific commits from poky as mentioned in meta-ivi.

2)      Do the master branch will work with all the poky branches (like dora, dylan?

There should be Dylan branch on meta-ti that you can checkout.

       3)    Do I need to do any other modification in any file to work with pandaboard?.

I haven't tried panda recently but I could try it out early next week and respond.

@ 2013-11-06 13:26   ` Baptiste Durand
From: Baptiste Durand @ 2013-11-06 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heroor, Siddharth; +Cc: meta-ti

I already saw this issue (=> https://github.com/baillaw/meta-x10/issues) :
please  try to add
GCCVERSION="4.7%" in  your local.conf.

GCC 4.8 seems to build uncorrectly the kernel for pandaboard.

Baptiste

2013/11/6 Heroor, Siddharth <heroor@ti.com>

> [...]
>
> *Jithin Raj*
>

> ***** Confidentiality Statement/Disclaimer *****
>
> This message and any attachments is intended for the sole use of the
> intended recipient. It may contain confidential information. Any
> unauthorized use, dissemination or modification is strictly prohibited. If
> you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately
> then delete it from all your systems, and do not copy, use or print.
> Internet communications are not secure and it is the responsibility of the
> recipient to make sure that it is virus/malicious code exempt.
> The company/sender cannot be responsible for any unauthorized alterations
> or modifications made to the contents. If you require any form of
> confirmation of the contents, please contact the company/sender. The
> company/sender is not liable for any errors or omissions in the content of

Baptiste DURAND

* Re: meat-ti(master) kernel not working with meta-ivi
@ 2013-11-06 15:11     ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2013-11-06 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Baptiste Durand; +Cc: meta-ti

On Wed, Nov 06, 2013 at 02:26:11PM +0100, Baptiste Durand wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I already saw this issue (=> https://github.com/baillaw/meta-x10/issues) :
> please  try to add
> GCCVERSION="4.7%" in  your local.conf.
>
> GCC 4.8 seems to build uncorrectly the kernel for pandaboard.

Indeed, the issue with gcc-4.8 was fixed in kernel 3.9+

There are some patches available that you can backport on top of 3.8 to get
gcc-4.8 working:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.embedded.yocto.meta-ti/2915/focus=2921

--
Denys