* rhel6/7 question
@ 2014-09-12 14:06 LC Bruzenak
From: LC Bruzenak @ 2014-09-12 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-audit

Are there any issues with a RHEL7 auditd collecting events from RHEL6
submitters?
How about any interpretation issues, on the RHEL7 side, of these events?

Thanks in advance,
LCB

--
LC (Lenny) Bruzenak
lenny@magitekltd.com

[-- Attachment #1.2: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature --]

* Re: rhel6/7 question
@ 2014-09-12 14:22 ` Steve Grubb
From: Steve Grubb @ 2014-09-12 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-audit

On Friday, September 12, 2014 09:06:39 AM LC Bruzenak wrote:
> Are there any issues with a RHEL7 auditd collecting events from RHEL6
> submitters?

To my knowlege, there are no issues. Its pretty much the same software on both
systems.

> How about any interpretation issues, on the RHEL7 side, of these events?

Just the usual user name/group interpretation issue. But if you spot anything
else, let me know. With the ausearch-test application, I have been working to
make interpretation and searching universally correct. This is only achieved
with the latest audit packages.

As an aside, I have found that we also need an audit validation suite. What
this would do is have someone start a system, login, logout, log back in, shut
down the system, reboot and run the test to see if all necessary events have
been generated, no duplicates, no spurious events, and fields are correct.

-Steve

* Re: rhel6/7 question
@ 2014-09-12 15:14   ` Steve Grubb
From: Steve Grubb @ 2014-09-12 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-audit

On Friday, September 12, 2014 10:22:31 AM Steve Grubb wrote:
> As an aside, I have found that we also need an audit validation suite. What
> this would do is have someone start a system, login, logout, log back in,
> shut down the system, reboot and run the test to see if all necessary
> events have been generated, no duplicates, no spurious events, and fields
> are correct.

Since people have asked about this off list...

I have uploaded a state diagram of how the audit system is supposed to work to
my people page: http://people.redhat.com/sgrubb/audit/

This only includes the system events that give the user session context. The
whole user session can do anything based on the local rules/selinux
settings/file permissions. The point is to define the boundaries that can be
used to constrain the possible user events.

I'll upload the suite in its current form a bit later. It is a work in
progress...but identifies systemd as not being consistent in sending events.
Not to mention lightdm not being audit aware at all...

-Steve

* Re: rhel6/7 question
@ 2014-09-12 19:12     ` Steve Grubb
From: Steve Grubb @ 2014-09-12 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-audit

On Friday, September 12, 2014 11:14:57 AM Steve Grubb wrote:
> I'll upload the suite in its current form a bit later. It is a work in
> progress...but identifies systemd as not being consistent in sending
> events.  Not to mention lightdm not being audit aware at all...

I re-organized the project page and put a place at the bottom for test suites.
The 0.1 version can now be found at:

http://people.redhat.com/sgrubb/audit/audit-validation-0.1.tar.gz

It is a work in progress. It has a long way to go. It needs help. Especially
in correcting apps.

-Steve