* git only one file
@ 2009-08-25 19:12 synhedionn
From: synhedionn @ 2009-08-25 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

with git add .  , a directory is expected, but I don't need all my files to
be recorded, only one of my thousands, so how can I record just 1 file?

* Re: git only one file
@ 2009-08-25 19:38 ` Matthias Kestenholz
From: Matthias Kestenholz @ 2009-08-25 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: synhedionn; +Cc: git

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 9:12 PM, synhedionn<synhedionn@gmail.com> wrote:

> with git add .  , a directory is expected, but I don't need all my files to
> be recorded, only one of my thousands, so how can I record just 1 file?

By only adding this file to the index. Use "git add $yourfile" instead
of "git add ."

If you do not want to see your thousands of files in the directory
when running git status, you can simply create a .gitignore file with
* as content. Git will still notify you about files which it already
knows about, even though the .gitignore entry tells it to ignore
everything.

Matthias

* Re: git only one file
@ 2009-10-02 17:24 ` gsky
From: gsky @ 2009-10-02 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

synhedionn wrote:

> with git add .  , a directory is expected, but I don't need all my files
> to be recorded, only one of my thousands, so how can I record just 1 file?

git add /path/to/file

* Re: git only one file
       [not found]   ` <a7c6f4d60908251605l5fb771a5t79b27cf688fab205@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2009-08-26  4:30     ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2009-08-26  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: syn hedionn; +Cc: git

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 1:05 AM, syn hedionn<synhedionn@gmail.com> wrote:
> ok , but if I put,
> git add index.htm
> I have:
> fatal: Not a git repository

You need to initialize the repository before you can add files to it, so:

git init
git add index.htm
git commit -m "Initial commit"

The zit way would be:

zit track index.htm
zit commit -m "Initial commit" index.htm

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: git only one file
       [not found] <synhedionn <synhedionn@gmail.com>
@ 2009-08-25 21:29 ` Giuseppe Bilotta
       [not found]   ` <a7c6f4d60908251605l5fb771a5t79b27cf688fab205@mail.gmail.com>
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2009-08-25 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git; +Cc: synhedionn

synhedionn <synhedionn@gmail.com> wrote:

> with git add .  , a directory is expected, but I don't need all my files to
> be recorded, only one of my thousands, so how can I record just 1 file?

Generally, if you want to track a single file in a directory you just
add that file, as per Matthias' suggestion, and possibly create a
.gitignore with the single '*' pattern in it..

<shameless plug>
However, if you want to track more than one _independent_ files in the
same directory (RCS-style), then I would recommend you look into zit,
the Git-based single-file content tracker I've developed. You can find
it at git://git.oblomov.eu/zit ( gitweb at http://git.oblomov.eu/zit )
</shameless plug>