* bug in autoloading of imx-ipuv3-crtc
@ 2016-04-19 18:34 ` Dennis Gilmore
From: Dennis Gilmore @ 2016-04-19 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Hi All,

on all of my i.MX6 systems imx-ipuv3-crtc ius not getting automatically
loaded.  Everything is built as a module

CONFIG_DRM_IMX=m
CONFIG_DRM_IMX_FB_HELPER=m
CONFIG_DRM_IMX_HDMI=m
CONFIG_DRM_IMX_IPUV3=m
CONFIG_DRM_IMX_LDB=m
CONFIG_DRM_IMX_PARALLEL_DISPLAY=m
CONFIG_DRM_IMX_TVE=m
CONFIG_IMX_IPUV3_CORE=m

The result is that until I log in via serial or ssh and modprobe the module
there is no display.  I suspect that there is some devicetree glue missing 4.4
and 4.5 seem to both be effected.

Dennis
on all of my i.MX6 systems imx-ipuv3-crtc ius not getting automatically
loaded.  Everything is built as a module

CONFIG_DRM_IMX=m
CONFIG_DRM_IMX_FB_HELPER=m
CONFIG_DRM_IMX_HDMI=m
CONFIG_DRM_IMX_IPUV3=m
CONFIG_DRM_IMX_LDB=m
CONFIG_DRM_IMX_PARALLEL_DISPLAY=m
CONFIG_DRM_IMX_TVE=m
CONFIG_IMX_IPUV3_CORE=m

The result is that until I log in via serial or ssh and modprobe the module
there is no display.  I suspect that there is some devicetree glue missing 4.4
and 4.5 seem to both be effected.

Dennis

[-- Attachment #1.2: This is a digitally signed message part. --]

* bug in autoloading of imx-ipuv3-crtc
@ 2016-04-19 18:50   ` Russell King - ARM Linux
From: Russell King - ARM Linux @ 2016-04-19 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 01:34:23PM -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> on all of my i.MX6 systems imx-ipuv3-crtc ius not getting automatically
> loaded.  Everything is built as a module
>
> CONFIG_DRM_IMX=m
> CONFIG_DRM_IMX_FB_HELPER=m
> CONFIG_DRM_IMX_HDMI=m
> CONFIG_DRM_IMX_IPUV3=m
> CONFIG_DRM_IMX_LDB=m
> CONFIG_DRM_IMX_PARALLEL_DISPLAY=m
> CONFIG_DRM_IMX_TVE=m
> CONFIG_IMX_IPUV3_CORE=m
>
> The result is that until I log in via serial or ssh and modprobe the
> module there is no display.  I suspect that there is some devicetree
> glue missing 4.4 and 4.5 seem to both be effected.

DT doesn't come into it for imx-ipuv3-crtc - these platform devices are
created by drivers/gpu/ipu-v3/ipu-common.c itself.

drivers/gpu/drm/imx/ipuv3-crtc.c contains the proper module alias which
should result in the module loaded at boot time when the imx-ipuv3-crtc
devices are created.

Could the problem be that imx-ipu-v3 isn't being loaded?  However, again,
it looks to me like everything is correct there.

Are you saying that this used to work in older kernel versions like 4.3,
but stopped in 4.4?

--
RMK's Patch system: http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/developer/patches/
according to speedtest.net.

* Re: bug in autoloading of imx-ipuv3-crtc
@ 2016-04-19 18:50   ` Russell King - ARM Linux
From: Russell King - ARM Linux @ 2016-04-19 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dennis Gilmore; +Cc: dri-devel, linux-arm-kernel

@ 2016-04-19 19:27     ` Dennis Gilmore
From: Dennis Gilmore @ 2016-04-19 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 7:50:49 PM CDT Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 01:34:23PM -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > on all of my i.MX6 systems imx-ipuv3-crtc ius not getting automatically
> > loaded.  Everything is built as a module
> >
> > CONFIG_DRM_IMX=m
> > CONFIG_DRM_IMX_FB_HELPER=m
> > CONFIG_DRM_IMX_HDMI=m
> > CONFIG_DRM_IMX_IPUV3=m
> > CONFIG_DRM_IMX_LDB=m
> > CONFIG_DRM_IMX_PARALLEL_DISPLAY=m
> > CONFIG_DRM_IMX_TVE=m
> > CONFIG_IMX_IPUV3_CORE=m
> >
> > The result is that until I log in via serial or ssh and modprobe the
> > module there is no display.  I suspect that there is some devicetree
> > glue missing 4.4 and 4.5 seem to both be effected.
>
> DT doesn't come into it for imx-ipuv3-crtc - these platform devices are
> created by drivers/gpu/ipu-v3/ipu-common.c itself.
>
> drivers/gpu/drm/imx/ipuv3-crtc.c contains the proper module alias which
> should result in the module loaded at boot time when the imx-ipuv3-crtc
> devices are created.
>
> Could the problem be that imx-ipu-v3 isn't being loaded?  However, again,
> it looks to me like everything is correct there.
>
> Are you saying that this used to work in older kernel versions like 4.3,
> but stopped in 4.4?

yers it used to work and stopped working. I would need to go back and test old
kernels to figure out where it broke.

[root at localhost ~]# lsmod |grep imx
imx_pcm_dma             1455  1 snd_soc_fsl_spdif
snd_soc_imx_spdif       2168  1
snd_soc_core          162930  4
imx_pcm_dma,snd_soc_fsl_asrc,snd_soc_imx_spdif,snd_soc_fsl_spdif
imx_ipu_v3             71290  0
imx_sdma               15739  2
ci_hdrc_imx             7191  0
usbmisc_imx             6460  1 ci_hdrc_imx
dw_hdmi_imx             3631  0
ci_hdrc                34482  1 ci_hdrc_imx
imx2_wdt                4245  0
dw_hdmi                14561  1 dw_hdmi_imx
imx_thermal             7056  0
sdhci_esdhc_imx        12018  0
sdhci_pltfm             4706  1 sdhci_esdhc_imx
ahci_imx                6468  0
sdhci                  38284  2 sdhci_pltfm,sdhci_esdhc_imx
mmc_core              120546  5
mmc_block,sdhci,brcmfmac,btsdio,sdhci_esdhc_imx
libahci_platform        7526  1 ahci_imx
i2c_imx                16259  0
imxdrm                  7776  1 dw_hdmi_imx
drm_kms_helper        116603  2 dw_hdmi,imxdrm
pwm_imx                 3786  1
drm                   309675  6
dw_hdmi,drm_kms_helper,dw_hdmi_imx,etnaviv,imxdrm

on a freshly booted system

imx-ipu-v3 is loaded however something is missing.

Dennis
From: Dennis Gilmore @ 2016-04-19 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell King - ARM Linux; +Cc: dri-devel, linux-arm-kernel

[root@localhost ~]# lsmod |grep imx

@ 2016-04-19 20:16       ` Dennis Gilmore
From: Dennis Gilmore @ 2016-04-19 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 2:27:17 PM CDT Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 7:50:49 PM CDT Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 01:34:23PM -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > on all of my i.MX6 systems imx-ipuv3-crtc ius not getting automatically
> > > loaded.  Everything is built as a module
> > >
> > > CONFIG_DRM_IMX=m
> > > CONFIG_DRM_IMX_FB_HELPER=m
> > > CONFIG_DRM_IMX_HDMI=m
> > > CONFIG_DRM_IMX_IPUV3=m
> > > CONFIG_DRM_IMX_LDB=m
> > > CONFIG_DRM_IMX_PARALLEL_DISPLAY=m
> > > CONFIG_DRM_IMX_TVE=m
> > > CONFIG_IMX_IPUV3_CORE=m
> > >
> > > The result is that until I log in via serial or ssh and modprobe the
> > > module there is no display.  I suspect that there is some devicetree
> > > glue missing 4.4 and 4.5 seem to both be effected.
> >
> > DT doesn't come into it for imx-ipuv3-crtc - these platform devices are
> > created by drivers/gpu/ipu-v3/ipu-common.c itself.
> >
> > drivers/gpu/drm/imx/ipuv3-crtc.c contains the proper module alias which
> > should result in the module loaded at boot time when the imx-ipuv3-crtc
> > devices are created.
> >
> > Could the problem be that imx-ipu-v3 isn't being loaded?  However, again,
> > it looks to me like everything is correct there.
> >
> > Are you saying that this used to work in older kernel versions like 4.3,
> > but stopped in 4.4?
>
> yers it used to work and stopped working. I would need to go back and test
> old kernels to figure out where it broke.

after installing some old kernels it broke with 4.4-rc4 which included a patch
with teh subject of "drm/imx: Remove of_node assignment from ipuv3-crtc driver
probe"

Dennis
From: Dennis Gilmore @ 2016-04-19 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell King - ARM Linux; +Cc: dri-devel, linux-arm-kernel

@ 2016-04-20 23:03         ` Uwe Kleine-König
From: Uwe Kleine-König @ 2016-04-20 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Hello,

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 03:16:01PM -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 2:27:17 PM CDT Dennis Gilmore wrote:

> > > DT doesn't come into it for imx-ipuv3-crtc - these platform devices are
> > > created by drivers/gpu/ipu-v3/ipu-common.c itself.
> > >
> > > drivers/gpu/drm/imx/ipuv3-crtc.c contains the proper module alias which
> > > should result in the module loaded at boot time when the imx-ipuv3-crtc
> > > devices are created.
> > >
> > > Could the problem be that imx-ipu-v3 isn't being loaded?  However, again,
> > > it looks to me like everything is correct there.
> > >
> > > Are you saying that this used to work in older kernel versions like 4.3,
> > > but stopped in 4.4?
> >
> > yers it used to work and stopped working. I would need to go back and test
> > old kernels to figure out where it broke.
>
> after installing some old kernels it broke with 4.4-rc4 which included a patch
> with teh subject of "drm/imx: Remove of_node assignment from ipuv3-crtc driver
> probe"

Just to be sure: 4.4-rc4 with 407c9eba7897 ("drm/imx: Remove of_node
assignment from ipuv3-crtc driver probe") reverted works fine for you?

Best regards
Uwe

--
Pengutronix e.K.                           | Uwe Kleine-K?nig            |

From: Uwe Kleine-König @ 2016-04-20 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dennis Gilmore
  Cc: kernel, Russell King - ARM Linux, linux-arm-kernel, dri-devel

@ 2016-04-21 17:37           ` Dennis Gilmore
From: Dennis Gilmore @ 2016-04-21 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Thursday, April 21, 2016 1:03:17 AM CDT Uwe Kleine-K?nig wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 03:16:01PM -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> > On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 2:27:17 PM CDT Dennis Gilmore wrote:

> > > yers it used to work and stopped working. I would need to go back and
> > > test
> > > old kernels to figure out where it broke.
> >
> > after installing some old kernels it broke with 4.4-rc4 which included a
> > patch with teh subject of "drm/imx: Remove of_node assignment from
> > ipuv3-crtc driver probe"
>
> Just to be sure: 4.4-rc4 with 407c9eba7897 ("drm/imx: Remove of_node
> assignment from ipuv3-crtc driver probe") reverted works fine for you?
I can confirm that reverting just that patch makes things work again

Dennis

From: Dennis Gilmore @ 2016-04-21 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Kleine-König
  Cc: kernel, Russell King - ARM Linux, linux-arm-kernel, dri-devel

@ 2016-04-21 19:39             ` Dennis Gilmore
From: Dennis Gilmore @ 2016-04-21 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Thursday, April 21, 2016 12:37:28 PM CDT Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> On Thursday, April 21, 2016 1:03:17 AM CDT Uwe Kleine-K?nig wrote:
> > Hello,

> > > after installing some old kernels it broke with 4.4-rc4 which included a
> > > patch with teh subject of "drm/imx: Remove of_node assignment from
> > > ipuv3-crtc driver probe"
> >
> > Just to be sure: 4.4-rc4 with 407c9eba7897 ("drm/imx: Remove of_node
> > assignment from ipuv3-crtc driver probe") reverted works fine for you?
>
> I can confirm that reverting just that patch makes things work again

Sorry I missed that due to an old kernel package bug the dtb was not in place
and a different than expected kernel booted.  reverting the one patch is not
sufficient

Dennis

From: Dennis Gilmore @ 2016-04-21 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Kleine-König
  Cc: kernel, Russell King - ARM Linux, linux-arm-kernel, dri-devel

@ 2016-04-22 13:11           ` Dennis Gilmore
From: Dennis Gilmore @ 2016-04-22 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Thursday, April 21, 2016 1:03:17 AM CDT Uwe Kleine-K?nig wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 03:16:01PM -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> > On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 2:27:17 PM CDT Dennis Gilmore wrote:

> > > yers it used to work and stopped working. I would need to go back and
> > > test
> > > old kernels to figure out where it broke.
> >
> > after installing some old kernels it broke with 4.4-rc4 which included a
> > patch with teh subject of "drm/imx: Remove of_node assignment from
> > ipuv3-crtc driver probe"
>
> Just to be sure: 4.4-rc4 with 407c9eba7897 ("drm/imx: Remove of_node
> assignment from ipuv3-crtc driver probe") reverted works fine for you?
>
> Best regards
> Uwe

I reverted the 4 patches in that series

407c9eba drm/imx: Remove of_node assignment from ipuv3-crtc driver probe
304e6be6 gpu: ipu-v3: Assign of_node of child platform devices to
corresponding ports
99ae78c3 gpu: ipu-v3: Remove reg_offset field
c3ede03c gpu: ipu-v3: drop unused dmfc field from client platform data

and it then worked again.

Dennis
From: Dennis Gilmore @ 2016-04-22 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Kleine-König
  Cc: kernel, Philipp Zabel, Russell King - ARM Linux,
	linux-arm-kernel, dri-devel

@ 2016-04-26 22:59             ` Dave Airlie
From: Dave Airlie @ 2016-04-26 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On 22 April 2016 at 23:11, Dennis Gilmore <dennis@ausil.us> wrote:
> On Thursday, April 21, 2016 1:03:17 AM CDT Uwe Kleine-K?nig wrote:
>> Hello,

>> > after installing some old kernels it broke with 4.4-rc4 which included a
>> > patch with teh subject of "drm/imx: Remove of_node assignment from
>> > ipuv3-crtc driver probe"
>>
>> Just to be sure: 4.4-rc4 with 407c9eba7897 ("drm/imx: Remove of_node
>> assignment from ipuv3-crtc driver probe") reverted works fine for you?
>>
>> Best regards
>> Uwe
>
> I reverted the 4 patches in that series
>
> 407c9eba drm/imx: Remove of_node assignment from ipuv3-crtc driver probe
> 304e6be6 gpu: ipu-v3: Assign of_node of child platform devices to
> corresponding ports
> 99ae78c3 gpu: ipu-v3: Remove reg_offset field
> c3ede03c gpu: ipu-v3: drop unused dmfc field from client platform data
>
> and it then worked again.

Should I be reverting these upstream as it's some sort of regression?

Uwe?

Dave.

From: Dave Airlie @ 2016-04-26 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dennis Gilmore
  Cc: dri-devel, Russell King - ARM Linux, linux-arm-kernel,
	Sascha Hauer, Uwe Kleine-König

@ 2016-04-27  8:30             ` Philipp Zabel
From: Philipp Zabel @ 2016-04-27  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Hi Dennis,

Am Freitag, den 22.04.2016, 08:11 -0500 schrieb Dennis Gilmore:
[...]
> I reverted the 4 patches in that series
>
> 407c9eba drm/imx: Remove of_node assignment from ipuv3-crtc driver probe
> 304e6be6 gpu: ipu-v3: Assign of_node of child platform devices to
> corresponding ports
> 99ae78c3 gpu: ipu-v3: Remove reg_offset field
> c3ede03c gpu: ipu-v3: drop unused dmfc field from client platform data
>
> and it then worked again.
>
> Dennis

Thank you for testing this, I've sent a patch to set the dev->of_node
pointer later so that the platform modalias matching should work again.

best regards
Philipp

From: Philipp Zabel @ 2016-04-27  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dennis Gilmore
  Cc: kernel, Russell King - ARM Linux, linux-arm-kernel, dri-devel,
	Uwe Kleine-König

@ 2016-04-27 15:21               ` Philipp Zabel
From: Philipp Zabel @ 2016-04-27 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Am Mittwoch, den 27.04.2016, 08:59 +1000 schrieb Dave Airlie:
> > I reverted the 4 patches in that series
> >
> > 407c9eba drm/imx: Remove of_node assignment from ipuv3-crtc driver probe
> > 304e6be6 gpu: ipu-v3: Assign of_node of child platform devices to
> > corresponding ports
> > 99ae78c3 gpu: ipu-v3: Remove reg_offset field
> > c3ede03c gpu: ipu-v3: drop unused dmfc field from client platform data
> >
> > and it then worked again.
>
> Should I be reverting these upstream as it's some sort of regression?

I will send an imx-drm/fixes pull request with the issue fixed.

regards
Philipp

From: Philipp Zabel @ 2016-04-27 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Airlie
  Cc: Russell King - ARM Linux, Dennis Gilmore, dri-devel,
	Sascha Hauer, Uwe Kleine-König, linux-arm-kernel