* Merge conflict
@ 2016-02-14 23:46 YU Bo
From: YU Bo @ 2016-02-14 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi,
Some days ago i followed the tips:
http://kernelnewbies.org/FirstKernelPatch
git clone greg's git tree and built branch first-patch.
Due to my first patch that fixes coding style reported
by checkptch.pl didn't applied,so i intend to rebase my
git branch first-patch.The question i encounter is:
==================git command && output========
yubo at debian:~/maintree/staging$  git rebase first-patch
It looks like git-am is in progress. Cannot rebase.
yubo at debian:~/maintree/staging$ git am --abort
You seem to have moved HEAD since the last 'am' failure.
Not rewinding to ORIG_HEAD
yubo at debian:~/maintree/staging$ git rebase first-patch
First, rewinding head to replay your work on top of it...
Applying: ovl: default permissions
Using index info to reconstruct a base tree...
Falling back to patching base and 3-way merge...
----
Auto-merging drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_display.c
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_display.c
Failed to merge in the changes.
Patch failed at 0010 drm/i915: Only run commit when crtc is active, v2.

Is there  something with wrong?
Thanks in advance for the noisy.
--
Best Regards
-------------- next part --------------

* Merge conflict
@ 2016-02-14 23:51 ` Roger H Newell
From: Roger H Newell @ 2016-02-14 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

I think you want to have first-patch checked out and rebase
origin/staging-testing ? You mite also consider checking out
staging-testing first and run git fetch origin.

@ 2016-02-15  0:10   ` YU Bo
From: YU Bo @ 2016-02-15  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi,
I just have checkouted origin/staging-testing and git rebase first-patch.Now,
=============git command && output==============
yubo at debian:~/maintree/staging$ git branch -a
* (no branch)
  first-patch
  staging-next
  staging-testing
  remotes/origin/HEAD -> origin/master
  remotes/origin/master
  remotes/origin/staging-linus
  remotes/origin/staging-next
  remotes/origin/staging-testing
  remotes/origin/test
ubo at debian:~/maintree/staging$ git fetch origin
remote: Counting objects: 273, done.
Receiving objects: 100% (273/273), 298.64 KiB | 196 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (160/160), done.
>From git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/gregkh/staging
   2cdb82c..d9750a2  staging-next -> origin/staging-next
yubo at debian:~/maintree/staging$ git checkout staging-testing
drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_display.c: needs merge
error: you need to resolve your current index first
===============end==================

--
Best Regards

? 2016-02-15 07:51:40?"Roger H Newell" <newell.roger@gmail.com> ???

@ 2016-02-15  0:15     ` YU Bo
From: YU Bo @ 2016-02-15  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Sorry for hasty to send previous email.
Maybe i have to delete the branch first-patch.But
i still will figure out the problem in git way.
Thank you,
--
Best Regards

? 2016-02-15 08:10:35?"YU Bo" <yuzibode@126.com> ???

@ 2016-02-15  8:57       ` Ebru Akagündüz
From: Ebru Akagündüz @ 2016-02-15  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hello,

>> Hi,
>> Some days ago i followed the tips:
>> http://kernelnewbies.org/FirstKernelPatch
>> git clone greg's git tree and built branch first-patch.
>> Due to my first patch that fixes coding style reported
>> by checkptch.pl didn't applied,so i intend to rebase my
>> git branch first-patch.The question i encounter is:
>> ==================git command && output========
>> yubo at debian:~/maintree/staging$  git rebase first-patch
>> It looks like git-am is in progress. Cannot rebase.
>> yubo at debian:~/maintree/staging$ git am --abort
>> You seem to have moved HEAD since the last 'am' failure.
>> Not rewinding to ORIG_HEAD
>> yubo at debian:~/maintree/staging$ git rebase first-patch
>> First, rewinding head to replay your work on top of it...
>> Applying: ovl: default permissions
>> Using index info to reconstruct a base tree...
>> Falling back to patching base and 3-way merge...
>> ----
>> Auto-merging drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_display.c
>> CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_display.c
>> Failed to merge in the changes.
>> Patch failed at 0010 drm/i915: Only run commit when crtc is active, v2.
>>
>> Is there  something with wrong?
>> Thanks in advance for the noisy.

If you would like to update your patch with newest version of the tree,
I recommend to you, use git am. Here is the blog post:
http://www.pizzhacks.com/bugdrome/2011/10/deal-with-git-am-failures/

After updating your current tree;

Firstly, you should give the command:
1- git am your_old_patch

After seeing, it could not be applied, give this:
2- git apply PATCH --reject

You'll see rejected and applied chunks, the rejected parts will be specified
with extension .rej (with related file name). You should edit related
files manually.

3- git add fixed_files
4- git am --resolved

All done :). This way seems easier to me. The blog post explained
steps, quite clear as well.

Kind regards,
Ebru

--
Ebru Akagunduz
http://www.ebruakagunduz.com

* Merge conflict
@ 2016-02-15 14:16         ` YU Bo
From: YU Bo @ 2016-02-15 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hello,
At 2016-02-15 16:57:46, "Ebru Akag?nd?z" <ebru.akagunduz@gmail.com> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>>> Hi,
>>> Some days ago i followed the tips:
>>> http://kernelnewbies.org/FirstKernelPatch
>>> git clone greg's git tree and built branch first-patch.
>>> Due to my first patch that fixes coding style reported
>>> by checkptch.pl didn't applied,so i intend to rebase my
>>> git branch first-patch.The question i encounter is:
>>> ==================git command && output========
>>> yubo at debian:~/maintree/staging$  git rebase first-patch
>>> It looks like git-am is in progress. Cannot rebase.
>>> yubo at debian:~/maintree/staging$ git am --abort
>>> You seem to have moved HEAD since the last 'am' failure.
>>> Not rewinding to ORIG_HEAD
>>> yubo at debian:~/maintree/staging$ git rebase first-patch
>>> First, rewinding head to replay your work on top of it...
>>> Applying: ovl: default permissions
>>> Using index info to reconstruct a base tree...
>>> Falling back to patching base and 3-way merge...
>>> ----
>>> Auto-merging drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_display.c
>>> CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_display.c
>>> Failed to merge in the changes.
>>> Patch failed at 0010 drm/i915: Only run commit when crtc is active, v2.
>>>
>>> Is there  something with wrong?
>>> Thanks in advance for the noisy.
>
>If you would like to update your patch with newest version of the tree,
>I recommend to you, use git am. Here is the blog post:
>http://www.pizzhacks.com/bugdrome/2011/10/deal-with-git-am-failures/
>
>After updating your current tree;
>
>Firstly, you should give the command:
>1- git am your_old_patch
>
>After seeing, it could not be applied, give this:
>2- git apply PATCH --reject
>
>You'll see rejected and applied chunks, the rejected parts will be specified
>with extension .rej (with related file name). You should edit related
>files manually.
>
>3- git add fixed_files
>4- git am --resolved
>

>All done :). This way seems easier to me. The blog post explained
>steps, quite clear as well.

Thanks.  I will learn more about git.
>Kind regards,
>Ebru
>
>--
>Ebru Akagunduz
>http://www.ebruakagunduz.com

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Re: Merge conflict.
@ 2005-08-13 16:17 ` Petr Baudis
From: Petr Baudis @ 2005-08-13 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenneth Johansson; +Cc: git

Dear diary, on Sat, Aug 13, 2005 at 04:45:32PM CEST, I got a letter
where Kenneth Johansson <ken@canit.se> told me that...
> I used cogito to do a cg-update and got conflicts and the exact files are
> printed to the screen. But say I somehow lost that output is there anyway
> to list conflicting files ??
>
> cg-status shows the files as modified but that also includes non
> conflicting files.
>
> The best I could find was to do a "git-update-cache --refresh" but that
> still do not tell me if I already have removed the conflict in the file.
>
> Is this not something that needs to be answered if we ever are going to
> have a graphical merge tool?

Yes, I know about this problem and something should be done about it.
The possible approaches:

* Check for /^<<<<<<</ lines (that's what CVS does)
	+: User does not need to take an explicit action to indicate
	   resolved conflict.
	-: False positives if the file with conflict contains that
	   string naturally.

* Make auxiliary files and check for their existence (what SVN does)
	+: User can use the auxiliary files (usually containing the
	   to-be-merged revisions) for better conflict resolution,
	   or run some own merging tool on it later.
	-: Extremely rare false positives.
	-: User needs to explicitly get rid of the files to get rid
	   of the conflict.

* Keep the conflict recorded in index
	+: No junk in working directory, cg-status should start working
	   right away.
	-: Unknown caveats wrt. index files containing conflicts...?
	-: User needs to explicitly run cg-resolve or something to
	   get rid of the conflict.

Ideas? Opinions?

--
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis