* [dpdk-announce] DPDK 16.11 released
@ 2016-11-13 22:22 Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2016-11-13 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: announce

A new major release is available:
	http://fast.dpdk.org/rel/dpdk-16.11.tar.xz

It has been built by an important community:
	728 patches from 119 authors
	773 files changed, 60728 insertions(+), 1220384 deletions(-)

There are 56 new contributors
(including authors, reviewers and testers):
Thanks to Alain Leon, Aleksey Katargin, Alex Zelezniak, Ali Volkan Atli,
Amine Kherbouche, Ananda Sathyanarayana, Ben Walker, Byron Marohn,
Daniele Di Proietto, Daniel Verkamp, Deirdre O'Connor, Elad Persiko,
E. Scott Daniels, Frederico Cadete, Gary Mussar, Gowrishankar Muthukrishnan,
Guolin Yang, Guruprasad Rao, James Poole, Jason Wang, Jean Tourrilhes,
Jiayu Hu, John Carney, John Ousterhout, Jon Loeliger, Jozef Martiniak,
Juho Snellman, Karmarkar Suyash, Luca Boccassi, Masoud Hasanifard,
Matthias Gatto, Mohammad Abdul Awal, Morten Brørup, Nikhil Jagtap,
Ning Li, Nipun Gupta, Olivier Gournet, Patrick Kutch, Pierre Pfister,
Qiming Yang, Qi Zhang, Rahul R Shah, Sagi Grimberg, Saikrishna Edupuganti,
Sarath Somasekharan, Souvik Dey, Tal Avraham, Tao Y Yang, Vincent Guo,
Wang Wei, Weiliang Luo, Wei Zhao, Xuekun Hu, Yangchao Zhou, Yunjian Wang,
Zhiyong Yang.

These new contributors are associated with these domain names:
163.com, 6wind.com, annapurnalabs.com, argela.com.tr, att.com,
broadcom.com, brocade.com, ciena.com, cisco.com, corp.free.fr,
cs.stanford.edu, gmail.com, grimberg.me, huawei.com, iki.fi,
intel.com, jd.com, labs.hpe.com, linux.vnet.ibm.com, mellanox.com,
netgate.com, nxp.com, oneaccess-net.com, outscale.com, redhat.com,
research.att.com, smartsharesystems.com, sonusnet.com,
versa-networks.com, vmware.com,

Some highlights:
	- new device object model
	- more networking offloads
	- improved vhost
	- virtio for NEON on ARM
	- new crypto libraries (ZUC and OpenSSL)
More details in the release notes:
	http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/rel_notes/release_16_11.html

The new features for the 17.02 cycle must be submitted before December 4.
There is a long list of expected works:
	http://dpdk.org/dev/roadmap
It means we will have a huge workload to properly review all the new stuff
before the end of the year. Do not forget to help reviewing patches from
others if we want to have a chance to integrate everything in time.

Other works in progress:
- A structure in Linux Foundation is being discussed at moving@dpdk.org
- A CI process is being discussed at ci@dpdk.org

Thanks everyone

* Re: [dpdk-announce] DPDK 16.11 released
@ 2016-11-15  1:46 ` Liu, Yong
From: Liu, Yong @ 2016-11-15  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: dev

Thomas, it's great to hear that DPDK16.11 released just in time.
As prospect for 17.02, our intel validation team have some concern about the release date.
The official day off for Chinese Sprint Festival holiday will be from 27th Jan to 3th Feb.
Most of our members may ask for more days leave either before or after the official day off.
>From our previous experience, it will take 3~4 weeks to do the full function and performance test.
If the first candidate release in the middle of Jan, we can do first round of validation and raise issues to developers.
And after the holiday, we can keep on the validation process and finish in two weeks.
If release date is after Feb, it will be hard for us to cover all cases in release window.

Thanks,
DPDK STV team

@ 2016-11-15  9:05   ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2016-11-15  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liu, Yong; +Cc: dev

Hi and thanks for sharing your time constraints,

2016-11-15 01:46, Liu, Yong:
> As prospect for 17.02, our intel validation team have some concern about the release date.
> The official day off for Chinese Sprint Festival holiday will be from 27th Jan to 3th Feb.
> Most of our members may ask for more days leave either before or after the official day off.
> From our previous experience, it will take 3~4 weeks to do the full function and performance test.
> If the first candidate release in the middle of Jan,
> we can do first round of validation and raise issues to developers.

The integration deadline is January 5.
So we can target/expect a RC1 on January 11.

> And after the holiday, we can keep on the validation process and finish in two weeks.
> If release date is after Feb, it will be hard for us to cover all cases in release window.

Yes, we must remind that mid-January is a hard deadline for RC1.
Then the release will be in mid-February to make sure you have some time
after the holidays.
What about Valentine's day? :)

* Re: [dpdk-announce] DPDK 16.11 released
@ 2016-11-17  3:51     ` Xu, Qian Q
From: Xu, Qian Q @ 2016-11-17  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon, Liu, Yong; +Cc: dev

It is good that RC1 on Jan.11th is a hard deadline. We also need ensure that RC1 is a complete package with all features. If RC1 is out but missing some big features, then the test results on RC1 vs RC2 may have big difference.
So, could we ensure that RC1 is a complete feature package, if any feature missing RC1, then we may postpone the feature to 17.05? Does it make sense?

@ 2016-11-17 16:01       ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2016-11-17 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xu, Qian Q; +Cc: Liu, Yong, dev

2016-11-17 03:51, Xu, Qian Q:
> It is good that RC1 on Jan.11th is a hard deadline. We also need ensure that RC1 is a complete package with all features. If RC1 is out but missing some big features, then the test results on RC1 vs RC2 may have big difference.
> So, could we ensure that RC1 is a complete feature package, if any feature missing RC1, then we may postpone the feature to 17.05? Does it make sense?

Absolutely, yes.