* observation: sata problems when using devfs with 2.6.0beta7
@ 2003-10-11 19:44 Howard Duck
From: Howard Duck @ 2003-10-11 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi

I understand that devfs is deprecated, and i personally don't need (or
suggest)
this issue to be fixed - but there are maybe some people that run into this
problem too, and they may profit from this information... Now here's the
story: I
have a intel 865pe based mainboard with 4 pata devices and one sata disk
(the
one i boot off). Gentoo linux "needs" devfs support therefore i added it to
my
kernel config. When i booted i got following warning/debug messages:

irq: 18 nobody cared!
*some hex output i was too lazy to write down*
Disabling IRQ #18

IRQ 18 is assigned to the SATA controller (there are also a few lkml posts
that
describe this error). At first i thought it was some problem with sata - to
verify this
i started to test with a almost featureless kernel and added one feature
after
another to see what breaks the system. The irq18 problem only appeared when
added devfs support to the kernel. I have no real proof that devfs support
affects
the sata controller/disk, but i built many different kernel configs and
whenever i
added devfs support the irq18 warnings appeared, and whenever i removed
devfs
support they did not appear - so i guess devfs is the actual problem.

I currently run gentoo-linux with a SMP enabled 2.6.0beta7 kernel with alsa
and
the nvidia-drivers but without devfs support. Everything works fine for me,
seems
like devfs support isn't that badly needed for gentoo ;) to turn off support
for it
simply add gentoo=nodevfs to your kernel boot-parameters. Creating the /dev
entries for alsa can be done with the snddevices script provided by the
alsa-driver
source package. I didn't need any other /dev nodes, because i don't have USB

peripherals and the likes...

now on to the gentoo-developers persuading them to drop the devfs dependency

;)
 Michael Kefeder

p.s.: i'm not subscribed to lkml - please put me on CC when answering.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-10-11 19:44 UTC | newest]