* Issue with enabling VSP source on rcar gen2 koelsch board
@ 2018-11-28 13:20 Biju Das
From: Biju Das @ 2018-11-28 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurent Pinchart, Niklas Söderlund, Kieran Bingham, Jacopo Mondi
  Cc: linux-renesas-soc

Hi all,

On the past, I have tested vsp source  on rcar gen2 koelsch board, using the patches series below(Apart from the below  patch series, I have enabled "CONFIG_DRM_RCAR_VSP=y")
https://git.linuxtv.org/pinchartl/media.git/log/?h=drm/du/panels

1) [HACK] ARM: shmobile: r8a7791: Link the VSP1 and DU
2) [HACK] v4l: vsp1: Disable UAPI for VSP1D
3) [HACK] drm: rcar-du: Enable VSP source support for R8A7791

But on the latest renesas-dev branch looks like  it is broken

The issue is kernel doesn't boot, if I connect display panel.  Looks like it is hanging in register_framebuffer.

[    5.344412] [drm] Supports vblank timestamp caching Rev 2 (21.10.2013).
[    5.364250] [drm] No driver support for vblank timestamp query.

Have any one noticed this issue?

Regards,
Biju

Renesas Electronics Europe Ltd, Dukes Meadow, Millboard Road, Bourne End, Buckinghamshire, SL8 5FH, UK. Registered in England & Wales under Registered No. 04586709.

* Re: Issue with enabling VSP source on rcar gen2 koelsch board
@ 2018-11-28 17:00 ` Laurent Pinchart
From: Laurent Pinchart @ 2018-11-28 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Biju Das
  Cc: Laurent Pinchart, Niklas Söderlund, Kieran Bingham,
	Jacopo Mondi, linux-renesas-soc

Hi Biju,

On Wednesday, 28 November 2018 15:20:58 EET Biju Das wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On the past, I have tested vsp source  on rcar gen2 koelsch board, using the
> patches series below(Apart from the below  patch series, I have enabled
> "CONFIG_DRM_RCAR_VSP=y")
> https://git.linuxtv.org/pinchartl/media.git/log/?h=drm/du/panels
>
> 1) [HACK] ARM: shmobile: r8a7791: Link the VSP1 and DU
> 2) [HACK] v4l: vsp1: Disable UAPI for VSP1D
> 3) [HACK] drm: rcar-du: Enable VSP source support for R8A7791
>
> But on the latest renesas-dev branch looks like  it is broken

That doesn't surprise me too much as I don't actively maintain that code.

For my information, what are your use cases ? Do you think this approach
should be pursued and patches merged upstream ? The amount of work will be
quite high though, given that it introduces a new userspace API, we will have
to publish an open-source implementation in an X.org or Wayland driver.

> The issue is kernel doesn't boot, if I connect display panel.  Looks like it
> is hanging in register_framebuffer.
>
> [    5.344412] [drm] Supports vblank timestamp caching Rev 2 (21.10.2013).
> [    5.364250] [drm] No driver support for vblank timestamp query.
>
> Have any one noticed this issue?

This usually means that the kernel crashes with the console lock taken,
preventing the oops from being printed. As a debugging hack you can comment
out the locking calls in console_lock(), console_trylock() and
console_unlock() (kernel/printk/printk.c).

Laurent Pinchart

* RE: Issue with enabling VSP source on rcar gen2 koelsch board
@ 2018-11-29  8:39   ` Biju Das
From: Biju Das @ 2018-11-29  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurent Pinchart
  Cc: Laurent Pinchart, Niklas Söderlund, Kieran Bingham,
	Jacopo Mondi, linux-renesas-soc

Hi Laurent,

Thanks  for the feedback.

> Subject: Re: Issue with enabling VSP source on rcar gen2 koelsch board
>
> Hi Biju,
>
> On Wednesday, 28 November 2018 15:20:58 EET Biju Das wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > On the past, I have tested vsp source  on rcar gen2 koelsch board,
> > using the patches series below(Apart from the below  patch series, I
> > have enabled
> > "CONFIG_DRM_RCAR_VSP=y")
> > https://git.linuxtv.org/pinchartl/media.git/log/?h=drm/du/panels
> >
> > 1) [HACK] ARM: shmobile: r8a7791: Link the VSP1 and DU
> > 2) [HACK] v4l: vsp1: Disable UAPI for VSP1D
> > 3) [HACK] drm: rcar-du: Enable VSP source support for R8A7791
> >
> > But on the latest renesas-dev branch looks like  it is broken
>
> That doesn't surprise me too much as I don't actively maintain that code.
>
> For my information, what are your use cases ? Do you think this approach
> should be pursued and patches merged upstream ? The amount of work will
> be quite high though, given that it introduces a new userspace API, we will
> have to publish an open-source implementation in an X.org or Wayland
> driver.

Basically as part of RZ-G1/M VSP upstreaming(Linux 4.15 kernel)  ,previously I have  executed the below test cases

1) vsp test suite:- based on the instruction present on "http://git.ideasonboard.com/renesas/vsp-tests.git"

2) vspd testing:- based on the instruction present on  "https://git.linuxtv.org/pinchartl/media.git/log/?h=drm/du/panels"

Both the test cases were working fine with 4.15 kernel.

Now as part of RZ/G1N vsp upstreaming, I rebased to  latest branch from renesas-dev , and  executed the same test case

Only test cases in vsp test suite is working.  the vspd test case is broken.
So I am wondering how do we expose the r-car gen2 SoC feature "VSPD"  to the end user?

@ 2018-11-29 12:33     ` Laurent Pinchart
From: Laurent Pinchart @ 2018-11-29 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Biju Das
  Cc: Laurent Pinchart, Niklas Söderlund, Kieran Bingham,

On Thursday, 29 November 2018 10:39:00 EET Biju Das wrote:
> > Subject: Re: Issue with enabling VSP source on rcar gen2 koelsch board
> > On Wednesday, 28 November 2018 15:20:58 EET Biju Das wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> On the past, I have tested vsp source  on rcar gen2 koelsch board,
> >> using the patches series below(Apart from the below  patch series, I
> >> have enabled "CONFIG_DRM_RCAR_VSP=y")
> >> https://git.linuxtv.org/pinchartl/media.git/log/?h=drm/du/panels
> >>
> >> 1) [HACK] ARM: shmobile: r8a7791: Link the VSP1 and DU
> >> 2) [HACK] v4l: vsp1: Disable UAPI for VSP1D
> >> 3) [HACK] drm: rcar-du: Enable VSP source support for R8A7791
> >>
> >> But on the latest renesas-dev branch looks like  it is broken
> >
> > That doesn't surprise me too much as I don't actively maintain that code.
> >
> > For my information, what are your use cases ? Do you think this approach
> > should be pursued and patches merged upstream ? The amount of work will
> > be quite high though, given that it introduces a new userspace API, we
> > will have to publish an open-source implementation in an X.org or Wayland
> > driver.
>
> Basically as part of RZ-G1/M VSP upstreaming(Linux 4.15 kernel)  ,previously
> I have  executed the below test cases
>
> 1) vsp test suite:- based on the instruction present on
> "http://git.ideasonboard.com/renesas/vsp-tests.git"
>
> 2) vspd testing:- based on the instruction present on
> "https://git.linuxtv.org/pinchartl/media.git/log/?h=drm/du/panels"
>
> Both the test cases were working fine with 4.15 kernel.
>
> Now as part of RZ/G1N vsp upstreaming, I rebased to  latest branch from
> renesas-dev , and  executed the same test case
>
> Only test cases in vsp test suite is working.  the vspd test case is broken.

Could you please post the tests output and log ?

> So I am wondering how do we expose the r-car gen2 SoC feature "VSPD"  to
> the end user?

Isn't the VSPD already exposed to the user as a V4L2 device on Gen2 ?

Laurent Pinchart

* RE: Issue with enabling VSP source on rcar gen2 koelsch board
@ 2018-11-30  9:03       ` Biju Das
From: Biju Das @ 2018-11-30  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurent Pinchart
  Cc: Laurent Pinchart, Niklas Söderlund, Kieran Bingham,
	Jacopo Mondi, linux-renesas-soc

Hi Laurent,

Thanks for the feedback.

> Subject: Re: Issue with enabling VSP source on rcar gen2 koelsch board
>
> Hi Biju,
>
> On Thursday, 29 November 2018 10:39:00 EET Biju Das wrote:
> > > Subject: Re: Issue with enabling VSP source on rcar gen2 koelsch

> > > That doesn't surprise me too much as I don't actively maintain that code.
> > >
> > > For my information, what are your use cases ? Do you think this
> > > approach should be pursued and patches merged upstream ? The
> amount
> > > of work will be quite high though, given that it introduces a new
> > > userspace API, we will have to publish an open-source implementation
> > > in an X.org or Wayland driver.
> >
> > Basically as part of RZ-G1/M VSP upstreaming(Linux 4.15 kernel)
> > ,previously I have  executed the below test cases
> >
> > 1) vsp test suite:- based on the instruction present on
> > "http://git.ideasonboard.com/renesas/vsp-tests.git"
> >
> > 2) vspd testing:- based on the instruction present on
> > "https://git.linuxtv.org/pinchartl/media.git/log/?h=drm/du/panels"
> >
> > Both the test cases were working fine with 4.15 kernel.
> >
> > Now as part of RZ/G1N vsp upstreaming, I rebased to  latest branch
> > from renesas-dev , and  executed the same test case
> >
> > Only test cases in vsp test suite is working.  the vspd test case is broken.
>
> Could you please post the tests output and log ?

Sorry for the confusion, Basically I am trying to do vsp -->du rendering based on the below patch

1) [HACK] ARM: shmobile: r8a7791: Link the VSP1 and DU
2) [HACK] v4l: vsp1: Disable UAPI for VSP1D
3) [HACK] drm: rcar-du: Enable VSP source support for R8A7791

You already mentioned that you are not maintaining this patches. It worked for me on Linux 4.15, where as it is broken with latest kernel.

> > So I am wondering how do we expose the r-car gen2 SoC feature "VSPD"
> > to the end user?
>
> Isn't the VSPD already exposed to the user as a V4L2 device on Gen2 ?

Yes, But I am trying to do vsp-->du rendering on r-car gen2/rz/g1 board  with the latest kernel.