* MacBook Bluetooth Support
@ 2019-04-25 19:17 Marco Betschart
From: Marco Betschart @ 2019-04-25 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-bluetooth

Dear Bluetooth Kernel Maintainers,

Not sure how to properly address this, therefore I simply start with the main question:
Whats missing to get MacBook Bluetooth support upstreamed?

Getting this done right would improve the situation for lots of people running Linux on MacBooks. Currently they patch the Kernel manually with something similar to this: https://github.com/marbetschar/Manjaro-Linux-on-MacBook-12/blob/master/patches/linux-4.19.32_drivers-bluetooth-hci_bcm.patch

While this works, I don’t expect this solution can be upstreamed as is - since it simply avoids "err = dev->set_device_wakeup(dev, powered);" to be called which may cause unwanted side effects I’m not aware of. However, avoiding this piece of code somehow magically allows Bluetooth to work properly on MacBooks. See this thread on GitHub for all the details: https://github.com/Dunedan/mbp-2016-linux/issues/29

Would love to help to get Bluetooth support for MacBooks upstreamed, although I have to admit I’m a complete newbie in Kernel development as well as in C programming.

Looking forward to any pointers into the right direction.

Best regards,
  Marco

only message in thread, other threads:[~2019-04-25 19:17 UTC | newest]