* Re: Probleme with live session on LTTng 2.7.0
       [not found] <2588C50AE11CCC4B945875227E501190021891C9B82F@THSONEA01CMS04P.one.grp>
@ 2018-06-08 14:10 ` Jonathan Rajotte-Julien
       [not found] ` <614894989.8932.1528467044925.JavaMail.zimbra@efficios.com>
From: Jonathan Rajotte-Julien @ 2018-06-08 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BADEUIL Thierry; +Cc: lttng-dev

Hi Thierry,

----- Original Message -----

LTTng 2.7 is not officially supported by the opensource community anymore. Please upgrade if possible.

> Here is what I try to do on my target with LTTng 2.7.0 :
>
> o   Lttng create test –U net://192.168.0.1:5151

Did you start a lttng-relayd process on the 192.168.0.1 host? How was it started?

> o   Lttng enable-event –k sched_switch
>
> o   I got an error : “Error: sched_switch: Unable to connect to lttng-relayd
> (channel channel0, session test)”
>

> Then I tried :
>
> o   Lttng-relayd –d

Was this done on the same machine where you run "lttng create" or on the 192.168.0.1 host?

> o   Lttng create test –U net://192.168.0.1:5151

5151 is not the default port for lttng-relayd. Unless you specified custom port at lttng-relayd start, the default port are 5342:5343:5344.
See the lttng-relayd man page for more information.

@ 2018-06-08 14:27   ` Jonathan Rajotte-Julien
       [not found]   ` <671747492.9056.1528468064761.JavaMail.zimbra@efficios.com>
From: Jonathan Rajotte-Julien @ 2018-06-08 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BADEUIL Thierry; +Cc: lttng-dev

Hi Thierry,

I also forgot to mention that there might some confusion on your end regarding the "live" mode.

LTTng have two "main" network streaming mode, normal streaming and live streaming.

The normal streaming is useful in scenario where you perform analysis after all tracing is done.
This is the mode you are currently using in your example.

The "live" mode is mostly used when you are interesting in consuming trace events as soon as possible as they are produced using Babeltrace.

Which mode do you plan on using?

Cheers

@ 2018-06-08 14:50     ` BADEUIL Thierry
       [not found]     ` <2588C50AE11CCC4B945875227E501190021891C9BA08@THSONEA01CMS04P.one.grp>
From: BADEUIL Thierry @ 2018-06-08 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Rajotte-Julien; +Cc: lttng-dev

Hello,

I plan to consume trace events as soon as possible as they are produced using BabelTrace. I do NOT want to start analysis after all tracing is done.

So ?

Cheers

Thierry BADEUIL
THALES COMMUNICATIONS
T : +33 1 46 133 591
(  : +33 6 85 51 28 16
  : thierry.badeuil@thalesgroup.com

I also forgot to mention that there might some confusion on your end regarding the "live" mode.

LTTng have two "main" network streaming mode, normal streaming and live streaming.

The normal streaming is useful in scenario where you perform analysis after all tracing is done.
This is the mode you are currently using in your example.

The "live" mode is mostly used when you are interesting in consuming trace events as soon as possible as they are produced using Babeltrace.

Which mode do you plan on using?

Cheers

>> I have problem with LTTng in live mode : I would like to send trace with TCP
>> from my target to a Linux Computer. I will use babletrace on the Linux
>> Computer.
>
> LTTng 2.7 is not officially supported by the opensource community anymore.
> Please upgrade if possible.
>

>> Here is what I try to do on my target with LTTng 2.7.0 :
>>
>> o   Lttng create test –U net://192.168.0.1:5151
>
> Did you start a lttng-relayd process on the 192.168.0.1 host? How was it
> started?
>

>> o   Lttng enable-event –k sched_switch
>>
>> o   I got an error : “Error: sched_switch: Unable to connect to lttng-relayd
>> (channel channel0, session test)”
>>

>> Then I tried :
>>
>> o   Lttng-relayd –d
>
> Was this done on the same machine where you run "lttng create" or on the
> 192.168.0.1 host?
>

>> o   Lttng create test –U net://192.168.0.1:5151
>
> 5151 is not the default port for lttng-relayd. Unless you specified custom port
> at lttng-relayd start, the default port are 5342:5343:5344.
> See the lttng-relayd man page for more information.
>

>> o   Lttng enable-event –k sched_switch
>>
>> o   I got the same error
>>

>> The IP address of the Linux Computer is 192.168.0.1 and the port 5151 is
>> open.
>>

>> Why ?
>>

>> Thierry BADEUIL
>>
>> THALES COMMUNICATIONS
>>
>> ( : +33 1 46 133 591
>>
>> È  : +33 6 85 51 28 16
>>
>> * :  <mailto:thierry.badeuil@fr.thalesgroup.com>
>> thierry.badeuil@thalesgroup.com

[-- Attachment #1.2: smime.p7s --]

@ 2018-06-08 15:19       ` Jonathan Rajotte-Julien
       [not found]       ` <1520189977.9229.1528471194855.JavaMail.zimbra@efficios.com>
From: Jonathan Rajotte-Julien @ 2018-06-08 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BADEUIL Thierry; +Cc: lttng-dev

Hi Thierry,

See -> https://lttng.org/docs/v2.10/#doc-lttng-live

Note that this is the documentation for lttng stable 2.10. Not 2.7, still it is as I recall pretty much unchanged since

This should look like this for you.

On the 192.168.0.1 host:

lttng-relayd -vvv --control-port='tcp://0.0.0.0:5342' --data-port='tcp://0.0.0.0:5343' --live-port='tcp://localhost:5344'

If you plan on using the 5342,5344 and localhost:5344 ports, you can start lttng-relayd without these options since they are the default values.
Otherwise change those values.

Note that for the 5342 and 5343 ports the lttng-relayd process listen on all interfaces, the live port is only accessible from the loopback interface (locally).
Hence, for this particular configuration only a Babeltrace running on the 192.168.0.1 host will be able to connect to lttng-relayd to get "live" data.

The "-vvv" option put lttng-relayd in verbose mode. Just in case we need to do more serious investigation.

At that point you can use netcat (nc) to test each port from the target side if you find it necessary. You should see activity on connection in the lttng-relayd logs.

On the target:

For the sake of knowing what is going on and get some verbose data if something does not go according to plan, you can start lttng-sessiond in verbose mode.

In a separate shell (running with sudo to get kernel tracing):
sudo lttng-sessiond -vvv

In another shell (considering your user is either root or in the tracing group):

lttng create my_session_name --set-url='net://192.168.0.1:5342:5343' --live
lttng enable-channel ... (your channel configuration if needed)
lttng enable-event ... (your specific event)
lttng start

On the 192.168.0.1 host:

You should be able to list the live session from lttng-relayd using the following:

babeltrace -i lttng-live net://localhost

From the output of the last command you get the complete path that you need to use to actually connect Babeltrace to the live session.

babeltrace -i lttng-live net://localhost/host/<your hostname>/<session-name>

You should now see event coming in.

Hope this help.

Cheers

@ 2018-06-11 17:09         ` BADEUIL Thierry
       [not found]         ` <2588C50AE11CCC4B945875227E501190021891DC7EBB@THSONEA01CMS04P.one.grp>
From: BADEUIL Thierry @ 2018-06-11 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Rajotte-Julien; +Cc: lttng-dev

Hello,

Everything is almost OK except when I tried : babeltrace -i lttng-live net://localhost/host/<your hostname>/<session-name>

Error messages :
- [error] Format : net://....
- [warning] [Context] Cannot open_trace of format lttng-live at path...
- [warning] [Context] Cannot open trace "..." for reading
- [error] opening trace "..."
- [error] none of the specified trace paths could be opened.

Do you know why ?

I updated babeltrace to 1.5.5 version and I installed 2.7 LTTng.

Regards

Thierry BADEUIL
THALES COMMUNICATIONS
T : +33 1 46 133 591
(  : +33 6 85 51 28 16
[...]

From the output of the last command you get the complete path that you need to use to actually connect Babeltrace to the live session.

@ 2018-06-11 17:26           ` Jonathan Rajotte-Julien
       [not found]           ` <1305764551.10725.1528737974718.JavaMail.zimbra@efficios.com>
From: Jonathan Rajotte-Julien @ 2018-06-11 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BADEUIL Thierry; +Cc: lttng-dev

Hi,

> Everything is almost OK except when I tried : babeltrace -i lttng-live
> net://localhost/host/<your hostname>/<session-name>

Please give us the output of the following when everything else is setup:

babeltrace -i lttng-live net://localhost

> Error messages :
> - [error] Format : net://....
> - [warning] [Context] Cannot open_trace of format lttng-live at path...
> - [warning] [Context] Cannot open trace "..." for reading
> - [error] opening trace "..."
> - [error] none of the specified trace paths could be opened.

Base on this output you seem to be "opening" the "net://..." path? Not sure why.

> Do you know why ?
>
> I updated babeltrace to 1.5.5 version and I installed 2.7 LTTng.

Perfect regarding Babeltrace but I would recommend that you upgrade lttng to the latest stable (2.10).

> Regards

* Re: Probleme with live session on LTTng 2.7.0
       [not found]           ` <1305764551.10725.1528737974718.JavaMail.zimbra@efficios.com>
@ 2018-06-12 10:01             ` BADEUIL Thierry
                               ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: BADEUIL Thierry @ 2018-06-12 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Rajotte-Julien; +Cc: lttng-dev

Hello,

I had :
Net://localhsot/host/(none)/test (timer = 2000000, 3 stream(s), 0 client(s) connected).

So ?

Questions :
 - how to change (none) into an other name ?
 - on the target, I have "Warning : No tracing group detected", how to remove this warning ?

Regards

Thierry BADEUIL
THALES COMMUNICATIONS
T : +33 1 46 133 591
(  : +33 6 85 51 28 16
  : thierry.badeuil@thalesgroup.com

> Everything is almost OK except when I tried : babeltrace -i lttng-live
> net://localhost/host/<your hostname>/<session-name>

Please give us the output of the following when everything else is setup:

babeltrace -i lttng-live net://localhost

> Error messages :
> - [error] Format : net://....
> - [warning] [Context] Cannot open_trace of format lttng-live at path...
> - [warning] [Context] Cannot open trace "..." for reading
> - [error] opening trace "..."
> - [error] none of the specified trace paths could be opened.

Base on this output you seem to be "opening" the "net://..." path? Not sure why.

> Do you know why ?
>
> I updated babeltrace to 1.5.5 version and I installed 2.7 LTTng.

Perfect regarding Babeltrace but I would recommend that you upgrade lttng to the latest stable (2.10).

> Regards

[-- Attachment #1.2: smime.p7s --]

@ 2018-06-12 10:20             ` BADEUIL Thierry
       [not found]             ` <2588C50AE11CCC4B945875227E501190021891E98B4C@THSONEA01CMS04P.one.grp>
From: BADEUIL Thierry @ 2018-06-12 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Rajotte-Julien; +Cc: lttng-dev

About the Babeltrace version, I can not update the 1.5.5 to 2.10 version.

I am with LTTng 2.70, Ubuntu 16.04.04 and did
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:lttng/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install babeltrace

Normal ?

Thierry BADEUIL
THALES COMMUNICATIONS
T : +33 1 46 133 591
(  : +33 6 85 51 28 16
  : thierry.badeuil@thalesgroup.com

> Everything is almost OK except when I tried : babeltrace -i lttng-live
> net://localhost/host/<your hostname>/<session-name>

Please give us the output of the following when everything else is setup:

babeltrace -i lttng-live net://localhost

> Error messages :
> - [error] Format : net://....
> - [warning] [Context] Cannot open_trace of format lttng-live at path...
> - [warning] [Context] Cannot open trace "..." for reading
> - [error] opening trace "..."
> - [error] none of the specified trace paths could be opened.

Base on this output you seem to be "opening" the "net://..." path? Not sure why.

> Do you know why ?
>
> I updated babeltrace to 1.5.5 version and I installed 2.7 LTTng.

Perfect regarding Babeltrace but I would recommend that you upgrade lttng to the latest stable (2.10).

> Regards

[-- Attachment #1.2: smime.p7s --]

@ 2018-06-12 10:53             ` BADEUIL Thierry
       [not found]             ` <2588C50AE11CCC4B945875227E501190021891E98B4C@THSONEA01CMS04P.one.grp>
From: BADEUIL Thierry @ 2018-06-12 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Rajotte-Julien; +Cc: lttng-dev

And last answer, here is the exact error message :
tmxv3@tmxv3-ThinkPad-T530:~$ sudo babeltrace -i lttng-live net://localhost/host/\(none\)/test -v
[verbose] Verbose mode active.
[verbose] Converting from directory(ies):
[verbose]     net://localhost/host/(none)/test
[verbose] Converting from format: lttng-live
[verbose] Converting to target: <stdout>
[verbose] Converting to format: text <default>
[error] Format : net://<hostname>/host/<traced_hostname>/<session_name>
[warning] [Context] Cannot open_trace of format lttng-live at path net://localhost/host/(none)/test.
[warning] [Context] cannot open trace "net://localhost/host/(none)/test" for reading.
[error] opening trace "net://localhost/host/(none)/test" for reading.

[error] none of the specified trace paths could be opened.

So ?

Thierry BADEUIL
THALES COMMUNICATIONS
T : +33 1 46 133 591
(  : +33 6 85 51 28 16
  : thierry.badeuil@thalesgroup.com

> Everything is almost OK except when I tried : babeltrace -i lttng-live
> net://localhost/host/<your hostname>/<session-name>

Please give us the output of the following when everything else is setup:

babeltrace -i lttng-live net://localhost

> Error messages :
> - [error] Format : net://....
> - [warning] [Context] Cannot open_trace of format lttng-live at path...
> - [warning] [Context] Cannot open trace "..." for reading
> - [error] opening trace "..."
> - [error] none of the specified trace paths could be opened.

Base on this output you seem to be "opening" the "net://..." path? Not sure why.

> Do you know why ?
>
> I updated babeltrace to 1.5.5 version and I installed 2.7 LTTng.

Perfect regarding Babeltrace but I would recommend that you upgrade lttng to the latest stable (2.10).

> Regards

[-- Attachment #1.2: smime.p7s --]

@ 2018-06-12 13:16               ` Jonathan Rajotte-Julien
From: Jonathan Rajotte-Julien @ 2018-06-12 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BADEUIL Thierry; +Cc: lttng-dev

Hi Thierry,

Babeltrace v1.5.5 is the latest stable version available for Babeltrace. Hence you are good on that end.

LTTng 2.7 is NOT the latest stable available. Since you now have the lttng ppa configured, please upgrade all lttng (lttng-tools lttng-modules-dkms) related packages on both the target and the lttng-relayd host (192.168.0.1).

> Questions :
> - how to change (none) into an other name ?

Not sure how you got the "(none)" there in the first place, make sure that your target have a valid hostname. Note that lttng uses "gethostname" to retrieve the hostname of your machine.
Please try "hostname" in a shell on your target and report your finding.

Still you are making progress since you are able to list the available live session.

> - on the target, I have "Warning : No tracing group detected", how to remove this warning ?

Well all info is in the warning. If you plan on only doing tracing under the root user you can ignore this warning. Otherwise you can create a linux group called "tracing".

Please read [1] for further information about the tracing group.

[1] https://lttng.org/docs/v2.10/#doc-tracing-group

Hope this helps

Cheers

@ 2018-06-08 13:45 BADEUIL Thierry