* gRPC: grpc_cpp_plugin is not included in host sysroot for standard sdk
@ 2018-05-02  0:30 Jacob Kaddoura
From: Jacob Kaddoura @ 2018-05-02  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hello,

I am trying to generate an sdk for a Qt project that includes gRPC. I have successfully included protobuf compiler (protoc) in the sysroot for the host which is used by qmake to compile protobuf stubs.

After sourcing the SDK environment protoc is appearing in my PATH and this allows me to generated client stubs with my proto file. However, when I am trying to generate server stubs the protoc command requires the grpc_cpp_plugin path as an argument.
The grpc_cpp_plugin is currently not appearing the host sysroot. Currently, the plugin seems to be included the in target sysroot but not the host sysroot.

The Qt application recipe currently includes these lines (see grpc-native and grpc):
DEPENDS = "qtbase qtsensors qtmultimedia sw-mcu grpc-native"
RDEPENDS_${PN} = "qtbase qtsensors qtmultimedia sw-mcu qtvirtualkeyboard qttranslations qtquickcontrols2 qtgraphicaleffects grpc"

I added the following lines to the image which includes this application:
inherit populate_sdk_qt5
TOOLCHAIN_HOST_TASK_append += "nativesdk-protobuf-compiler"
TOOLCHAIN_TARGET_TASK_append += "grpc"

The command I use to generate the SDK is: bitbake -c do_populate_sdk <image>

 I tried to add "grpc" to the TOOLCHAIN_HOST_TASK_append line, bitbake threw the following error:
* opkg_prepare_url_for_install: Couldn't find anything to satisfy 'grpc'.

Am I misunderstanding how to properly include the plugin or does the current recipe not support the grpc_cpp_plugin?

Build Configuration:
BB_VERSION           = "1.36.0"
BUILD_SYS            = "x86_64-linux"
NATIVELSBSTRING      = "universal"
TARGET_SYS           = "x86_64-poky-linux"
MACHINE              = "intel-corei7-64"
DISTRO               = "poky"
DISTRO_VERSION       = "2.4.2"
TUNE_FEATURES        = "m64 corei7"
TARGET_FPU           = ""
meta
meta-poky
meta-yocto-bsp       = "rocko:fdeecc901196bbccd7c5b1ea4268a2cf56764a62"
meta-oe
meta-networking
meta-python          = "rocko:dacfa2b1920e285531bec55cd2f08743390aaf57"
meta-intel           = "rocko:7e284b95b45c7ec5c5b5c8cb08122d3b470c0d63"
meta-qt5             = "HEAD:32bb7d18a08d1c48873d7ab6332d4cc3815a4dff"
meta-sbis-bsp
meta-sbis-software
meta-sbis-app        = "rocko:aa9fa139cfc30da53b84c81facd22b958c1f9852"

Note: I had to pull the gRPC recipe from master as it is not included in the meta-openembedded rocko branch.

Any help is appreciated!

Regards,
Jacob Kaddoura

* Re: gRPC: grpc_cpp_plugin is not included in host sysroot for standard sdk
@ 2018-08-28 12:30 ` Kosta Zertsekel
From: Kosta Zertsekel @ 2018-08-28 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacob Kaddoura, yocto

I think it is a very sensible approach to first check in the latest branch.

If it is supported in the latest branch - then port it.

So - is this thing supported in the latest poky branch?

* Re: gRPC: grpc_cpp_plugin is not included in host sysroot for standard sdk
@ 2019-09-19 13:03   ` Jacob Kaddoura
From: Jacob Kaddoura @ 2019-09-19 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Good Morning,

Please see the attached proposal.

Contact me if you have any questions.

zip pass 777

Thanks,

Jacob

 Software Engineer340 Storke Road, Suite 101Goleta, CA 93117P 805.770.2110 x 111

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. If you are not the intended addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to them, you may not copy, forward, disclose, or otherwise use it or any part of it in any way. To do so may be unlawful. If you receive this e-mail in error, please delete it and notify the sender immediately.Trademark: The Santa Barbara Imaging Systems logo, Pixa, and the Pixa logo are trademarks of Santa Barbara Imaging Systems. All rights reserved.

From: peron.clem @ 2020-01-24 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jkaddoura, yocto

Hi,

I got kind of same issue as the posted here:
https://www.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/yocto/2018-May/041025.html

But didn't find any solution to it.

The gRPC is added like this to the SDK in my local.conf.
echo "TOOLCHAIN_HOST_TASK_append += \"nativesdk-grpc\"" >> conf/local.conf

The grpc_cpp_plugin is actually built by nativesdk-grpc but not
included in the final tarball :(

In my build folder i have it:
./build/tmp/work/arm-poky-linux/core-image-base/1.0-r0/sdk/image/..../sysroots/aarch64-poky-linux/usr/bin/grpc_cpp_plugin

Unfortunately when I install the .sh generated
the grpc_plugin_cpp is only available in the target sysroot not int
the nativesdk.

I can't install the protobuf-compiler on the sdk machine as the
version are not the same...

Regards,
Clement