* Channel/Tunnel bonding with wireguard
@ 2018-01-22 21:03 Saeid Akbari
From: Saeid Akbari @ 2018-01-22 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Hi folks,

I have been thinking about utilizing WireGuard on my VPS to act as a central
hub for combining my multiple slower connections and having a faster one. I
had a possible way of doing it in my mind, and finally today I did a little bit
of googling found this article (also learned the real name for the technique:
bonding):

http://vrayo.com/how-to-set-up-a-bonding-vpn-connection-in-linux/

Since this approach uses a user-space daemon to relay around data, it would
incur some performance penalties compared to a kernel-mode driver like WG. So
it's probably not a good idea to use it on top of WG.

The pure WG scheme I have in my mind goes something like this:
- having a single swg0 interface on VPS.
- having multiple interfaces on the client (cwg0, cwg1, ...), each configured
with a single peer, that is the VPS swg0 interface.
- some iptables + ip rules fu to split and re-join the stream of IP packets.

For the third part, I can think of statistic netfilter match for splitting the
packets. But there are other things around which I don't know much about; like
the qdiscs... so I'm not confident if I'm headed in the right direction...

Is this a good idea? What do you suggest? Is there any better way to do it?

Thanks in Advance

Saeid,

* WireGuard porting to kernel 3.4
@ 2018-01-23  1:16 ` JuniorJPDJ
From: JuniorJPDJ @ 2018-01-23  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Would it be hard to port WG to 3.4 kernel?
Was there huge changes in networking or other used in WG stuff between
3.4 and 3.10?

It is very popular on a bit older android phones.

Thanks,
JuniorJPDJ

* Re: Channel/Tunnel bonding with wireguard
@ 2018-11-06 20:51 Saeid Akbari
From: Saeid Akbari @ 2018-11-06 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GMX John Thomson; +Cc: wireguard

Hey John,

Unfortunately no, I don't quite remember it, but each attempt failed somehow.
At first, I tried with a single swg0 interface on the server, which had two
peers with different ip addresses (cwg0 and cwg1 on the client machine). Used
qdiscs to split packets between the cwg0 & cwg1, but I couldn't manage to
combine them on the server-side.
Then went on with two swg0 and swg1 interfaces, each with a peer corresponding
to client cwg0 and cwg1, and bonded the two with a bridge on the server.
Again, because of different IPs, it really didn't make sense to the kernel to
see them as one, and I couldn't make it so. Eventually, I ran out of ideas and
gave up.

However, the VTrunkD really seemed promising. (it implements the bonding in
user-space, meaning it can actually work, and is more *smart* than a simple
qdisc, and takes into account the underlying connections' properties). But I
simply gave up on the whole idea, mainly because there was no longer a need
for such a thing, plus I didn't have the time to investigate it. You should
look into it though :)

Regards,
Saeid

* Re: Channel/Tunnel bonding with wireguard
@ 2018-11-06  8:42 GMX John Thomson
From: GMX John Thomson @ 2018-11-06  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Hi Saeid,

Did you manage to get any further with this idea, cause I was planning on doing something similar

Thanks,
John