* IIO Experiment #1 Build Dummy Help
@ 2016-10-01 19:52 Alison Schofield
From: Alison Schofield @ 2016-10-01 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel

If you have questions about building the modules in IIO Experimenting
Task #1, please post here.

If you can help those who are having troubles, please post that here
also.

Thanks!
alisons

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] IIO Experiment #1 Build Dummy Help
@ 2016-10-03 17:14 ` sayli karnik
From: sayli karnik @ 2016-10-03 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alison Schofield; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

Hello,
I encountered 'Invalid format error' while inserting the iio_dummy_evgen module.

On Sun, Oct 2, 2016 at 1:22 AM, Alison Schofield <amsfield22@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you have questions about building the modules in IIO Experimenting
> Task #1, please post here.

I ran:
sudo insmod drivers/iio/dummy/iio_dummy_evgen.ko
I got:
insmod: ERROR: could not insert module
drivers/iio/dummy/iio_dummy_evgen.ko: Invalid module format

dmesg output after insmod:
[36856.453312] iio_dummy_evgen: no symbol version for module_layout

What I learned so far:
The error arises because the kernel booted in and the one the driver
belongs to are different.
A post on Google says this is because the vermagic strings don't match.
( 'modinfo' gives different vermagic strings for drivers in different kernels)
So I tried copying my running kernel's Makefile into the driver's
Makefile. But the error persists.

I also tried:
export KBUILD_SRC=<location of the running kernel's source>
But that didn't help either.

Any ideas?

thanks,
sayli

@ 2016-10-03 17:23   ` Daniel Baluta
From: Daniel Baluta @ 2016-10-03 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sayli karnik; +Cc: Alison Schofield, outreachy-kernel

On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 8:14 PM, sayli karnik <karniksayli1995@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I encountered 'Invalid format error' while inserting the iio_dummy_evgen module.
>
> On Sun, Oct 2, 2016 at 1:22 AM, Alison Schofield <amsfield22@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If you have questions about building the modules in IIO Experimenting
>> Task #1, please post here.
>>

> I ran:
> sudo insmod drivers/iio/dummy/iio_dummy_evgen.ko
> I got:
> insmod: ERROR: could not insert module
> drivers/iio/dummy/iio_dummy_evgen.ko: Invalid module format
>
> dmesg output after insmod:
> [36856.453312] iio_dummy_evgen: no symbol version for module_layout
>
> What I learned so far:
> The error arises because the kernel booted in and the one the driver
> belongs to are different.
> A post on Google says this is because the vermagic strings don't match.
> ( 'modinfo' gives different vermagic strings for drivers in different kernels)
> So I tried copying my running kernel's Makefile into the driver's
> Makefile. But the error persists.
>
> I also tried:
> export KBUILD_SRC=<location of the running kernel's source>
> But that didn't help either.
>
> Any ideas?

Well, are you using a virtual machine? Can you update your kernel?

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] IIO Experiment #1 Build Dummy Help
@ 2016-10-03 17:48     ` sayli karnik
From: sayli karnik @ 2016-10-03 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Baluta; +Cc: Alison Schofield, outreachy-kernel

On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 10:53 PM, Daniel Baluta <daniel.baluta@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 8:14 PM, sayli karnik <karniksayli1995@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I encountered 'Invalid format error' while inserting the iio_dummy_evgen module.
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 2, 2016 at 1:22 AM, Alison Schofield <amsfield22@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> If you have questions about building the modules in IIO Experimenting
>>> Task #1, please post here.
>>>

>> I ran:
>> sudo insmod drivers/iio/dummy/iio_dummy_evgen.ko
>> I got:
>> insmod: ERROR: could not insert module
>> drivers/iio/dummy/iio_dummy_evgen.ko: Invalid module format
>>
>> dmesg output after insmod:
>> [36856.453312] iio_dummy_evgen: no symbol version for module_layout
>>
>> What I learned so far:
>> The error arises because the kernel booted in and the one the driver
>> belongs to are different.
>> A post on Google says this is because the vermagic strings don't match.
>> ( 'modinfo' gives different vermagic strings for drivers in different kernels)
>> So I tried copying my running kernel's Makefile into the driver's
>> Makefile. But the error persists.
>>
>> I also tried:
>> export KBUILD_SRC=<location of the running kernel's source>
>> But that didn't help either.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>

> Well, are you using a virtual machine? Can you update your kernel?
No I'm not using a virtual machine. I'll try updating my kernel!
Do you suggest that I should boot into the kernel that
iio_dummy_evgen.ko belongs to?

thanks,
sayli

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] IIO Experiment #1 Build Dummy Help
@ 2016-10-03 18:02       ` Daniel Baluta
From: Daniel Baluta @ 2016-10-03 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sayli karnik; +Cc: Alison Schofield, outreachy-kernel

On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 8:48 PM, sayli karnik <karniksayli1995@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 10:53 PM, Daniel Baluta <daniel.baluta@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 8:14 PM, sayli karnik <karniksayli1995@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I encountered 'Invalid format error' while inserting the iio_dummy_evgen module.

>>> I ran:
>>> sudo insmod drivers/iio/dummy/iio_dummy_evgen.ko
>>> I got:
>>> insmod: ERROR: could not insert module
>>> drivers/iio/dummy/iio_dummy_evgen.ko: Invalid module format
>>>
>>> dmesg output after insmod:
>>> [36856.453312] iio_dummy_evgen: no symbol version for module_layout
>>>
>>> What I learned so far:
>>> The error arises because the kernel booted in and the one the driver
>>> belongs to are different.
>>> A post on Google says this is because the vermagic strings don't match.
>>> ( 'modinfo' gives different vermagic strings for drivers in different kernels)
>>> So I tried copying my running kernel's Makefile into the driver's
>>> Makefile. But the error persists.
>>>
>>> I also tried:
>>> export KBUILD_SRC=<location of the running kernel's source>
>>> But that didn't help either.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>

>> Well, are you using a virtual machine? Can you update your kernel?
> No I'm not using a virtual machine. I'll try updating my kernel!
> Do you suggest that I should boot into the kernel that
> iio_dummy_evgen.ko belongs to?

Yes. Another option would be to compile your module out of tree
using the kernel headears of your running kernel.

To do that, you should check which version is your running kernel
with uname -a, then find the correct headers under /boot (most likely).

Then use Makefile and Kbuild similar with these ones:

ocw.cs.pub.ro/courses/_export/code/so2/laboratoare/lab02?codeblock=3
ocw.cs.pub.ro/courses/_export/code/so2/laboratoare/lab02?codeblock=2

thanks,
Daniel.

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] IIO Experiment #1 Build Dummy Help
@ 2016-10-09 23:19 ` Elizabeth Ferdman
From: Elizabeth Ferdman @ 2016-10-09 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alison Schofield; +Cc: outreachy-kernel, daniel.baluta

On Sat, Oct 01, 2016 at 12:52:59PM -0700, Alison Schofield wrote:
> If you have questions about building the modules in IIO Experimenting
> Task #1, please post here.
>
> If you can help those who are having troubles, please post that here
> also.

I'm getting errors after running
$ make drivers/iio/dummy/iio_dummy_evgen.ko

Output:
CHK     include/config/kernel.release
CHK     include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h
CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h
CHK     include/generated/bounds.h
CHK     include/generated/timeconst.h
CHK     include/generated/asm-offsets.h
CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
MODPOST 3015 modules

WARNING: could not open
drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/llite/llite_close.c:
No such file or directory

WARNING: could not open
drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/obdclass/linux/linux-obdo.c:
No such file or directory

ERROR: "ftrace_graph_ret_addr" [arch/x86/oprofile/oprofile.ko]
undefined!

scripts/Makefile.modpost:91: recipe for target '__modpost' failed
make[1]: *** [__modpost] Error 1
Makefile:1643: recipe for target
'drivers/iio/dummy/iio_dummy_evgen.ko' failed
make: *** [drivers/iio/dummy/iio_dummy_evgen.ko] Error 2

I have already enabled the 4 necessary config options in menuconfig.
Any ideas?
thanks,
liz

@ 2016-10-11  8:44   ` Daniel Baluta
From: Daniel Baluta @ 2016-10-11  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elizabeth Ferdman, Alison Schofield; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

On 10.10.2016 02:19, Elizabeth Ferdman wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 01, 2016 at 12:52:59PM -0700, Alison Schofield wrote:
>> If you have questions about building the modules in IIO Experimenting
>> Task #1, please post here.
>>
>> If you can help those who are having troubles, please post that here
>> also.
>>
> I'm getting errors after running
> $ make drivers/iio/dummy/iio_dummy_evgen.ko
>
> Output:
> CHK     include/config/kernel.release
> CHK     include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h
> CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h
> CHK     include/generated/bounds.h
> CHK     include/generated/timeconst.h
> CHK     include/generated/asm-offsets.h
> CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
> MODPOST 3015 modules
>
> WARNING: could not open
> drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/llite/llite_close.c:
> No such file or directory
>
> WARNING: could not open
> drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/obdclass/linux/linux-obdo.c:
> No such file or directory
>
> ERROR: "ftrace_graph_ret_addr" [arch/x86/oprofile/oprofile.ko]
> undefined!
>
> scripts/Makefile.modpost:91: recipe for target '__modpost' failed
> make[1]: *** [__modpost] Error 1
> Makefile:1643: recipe for target
> 'drivers/iio/dummy/iio_dummy_evgen.ko' failed
> make: *** [drivers/iio/dummy/iio_dummy_evgen.ko] Error 2
>
> I have already enabled the 4 necessary config options in menuconfig.
> Any ideas?
> thanks,
> liz

Hi Liz,

Sorry for the late reply. Could you try to update your tree? It seems
that was a problem similar with this few days ago.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/linux/kernel/2538847?do=post_view_threaded#2538847

Daniel.

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] IIO Experiment #1 Build Dummy Help
@ 2016-10-11 17:24     ` Elizabeth Ferdman
From: Elizabeth Ferdman @ 2016-10-11 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Baluta; +Cc: Alison Schofield, outreachy-kernel

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 11:44:04AM +0300, Daniel Baluta wrote:

> On 10.10.2016 02:19, Elizabeth Ferdman wrote:
> >On Sat, Oct 01, 2016 at 12:52:59PM -0700, Alison Schofield wrote:
> >>If you have questions about building the modules in IIO Experimenting
> >>Task #1, please post here.
> >>
> >>If you can help those who are having troubles, please post that here
> >>also.
> >>
> >I'm getting errors after running
> >$ make drivers/iio/dummy/iio_dummy_evgen.ko
> >
> >Output:
> >CHK     include/config/kernel.release
> >CHK     include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h
> >CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h
> >CHK     include/generated/bounds.h
> >CHK     include/generated/timeconst.h
> >CHK     include/generated/asm-offsets.h
> >CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
> >MODPOST 3015 modules
> >
> >WARNING: could not open
> >drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/llite/llite_close.c:
> >No such file or directory
> >
> >WARNING: could not open
> >drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/obdclass/linux/linux-obdo.c:
> >No such file or directory
> >
> >ERROR: "ftrace_graph_ret_addr" [arch/x86/oprofile/oprofile.ko]
> >undefined!
> >
> >scripts/Makefile.modpost:91: recipe for target '__modpost' failed
> >make[1]: *** [__modpost] Error 1
> >Makefile:1643: recipe for target
> >'drivers/iio/dummy/iio_dummy_evgen.ko' failed
> >make: *** [drivers/iio/dummy/iio_dummy_evgen.ko] Error 2
> >
> >I have already enabled the 4 necessary config options in menuconfig.
> >Any ideas?
> >thanks,
> >liz
> >

> Hi Liz,
>
> Sorry for the late reply. Could you try to update your tree? It seems
> that was a problem similar with this few days ago.
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/linux/kernel/2538847?do=post_view_threaded#2538847
>
> Daniel.

Hey Daniel,
Thanks for the reply. I did get fetch origin, but I'm still getting the
same error, plus some more. I pasted the log here:
http://pastebin.com/WXL5Vxt8

Just to clarify I've been following the tutorial and I chose the 5
config options in menuconfig. I also mounted configfs.

Thanks,
Liz

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] IIO Experiment #1 Build Dummy Help
@ 2016-10-14 16:06       ` Daniel Baluta
From: Daniel Baluta @ 2016-10-14 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elizabeth Ferdman; +Cc: Daniel Baluta, Alison Schofield, outreachy-kernel

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 8:24 PM, Elizabeth Ferdman <gnudevliz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 11:44:04AM +0300, Daniel Baluta wrote:

>> >I'm getting errors after running
>> >$ make drivers/iio/dummy/iio_dummy_evgen.ko
>> >
>> >Output:
>> >------------------------------------------------------------
>> >CHK     include/config/kernel.release
>> >CHK     include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h
>> >CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h
>> >CHK     include/generated/bounds.h
>> >CHK     include/generated/timeconst.h
>> >CHK     include/generated/asm-offsets.h
>> >CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
>> >MODPOST 3015 modules
>> >
>> >WARNING: could not open
>> >drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/llite/llite_close.c:
>> >No such file or directory
>> >
>> >WARNING: could not open
>> >drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/obdclass/linux/linux-obdo.c:
>> >No such file or directory
>> >
>> >ERROR: "ftrace_graph_ret_addr" [arch/x86/oprofile/oprofile.ko]
>> >undefined!
>> >
>> >scripts/Makefile.modpost:91: recipe for target '__modpost' failed
>> >make[1]: *** [__modpost] Error 1
>> >Makefile:1643: recipe for target
>> >'drivers/iio/dummy/iio_dummy_evgen.ko' failed
>> >make: *** [drivers/iio/dummy/iio_dummy_evgen.ko] Error 2
>> >----------------------------------------------------------------
>> >
>> >I have already enabled the 4 necessary config options in menuconfig.
>> >Any ideas?
>> >thanks,
>> >liz
>> >

>> Hi Liz,
>>
>> Sorry for the late reply. Could you try to update your tree? It seems
>> that was a problem similar with this few days ago.
>>
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/linux/kernel/2538847?do=post_view_threaded#2538847
>>
>> Daniel.
>>
> Hey Daniel,
> Thanks for the reply. I did get fetch origin, but I'm still getting the
> same error, plus some more. I pasted the log here:
> http://pastebin.com/WXL5Vxt8
>
> Just to clarify I've been following the tutorial and I chose the 5
> config options in menuconfig. I also mounted configfs.

For these:

ERROR: "iio_register_sw_device_type" [drivers/iio/dummy/iio_dummy.ko] undefined!
ERROR: "iio_unregister_sw_device_type"
[drivers/iio/dummy/iio_dummy.ko] undefined!

You need to enable CONFIG_IIO_SW_DEVICE.

thanks,
Daniel.

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] IIO Experiment #1 Build Dummy Help
@ 2016-10-15 21:07         ` Elizabeth Ferdman
From: Elizabeth Ferdman @ 2016-10-15 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Baluta; +Cc: Alison Schofield, outreachy-kernel

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 07:06:27PM +0300, Daniel Baluta wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 8:24 PM, Elizabeth Ferdman <gnudevliz@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Hi Liz,
> >>
> >> Sorry for the late reply. Could you try to update your tree? It seems
> >> that was a problem similar with this few days ago.
> >>
> >> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/linux/kernel/2538847?do=post_view_threaded#2538847
> >>
> >> Daniel.
> >>
> > Hey Daniel,
> > Thanks for the reply. I did get fetch origin, but I'm still getting the
> > same error, plus some more. I pasted the log here:
> > http://pastebin.com/WXL5Vxt8
> >
> > Just to clarify I've been following the tutorial and I chose the 5
> > config options in menuconfig. I also mounted configfs.
>

> For these:
>
> ERROR: "iio_register_sw_device_type" [drivers/iio/dummy/iio_dummy.ko] undefined!
> ERROR: "iio_unregister_sw_device_type"
> [drivers/iio/dummy/iio_dummy.ko] undefined!
>
> You need to enable CONFIG_IIO_SW_DEVICE.

Hey Daniel,
I already had that configured. It turns out all I needed to do was "make
clean" and it worked fine after that. UGH! Wish I had thought of that
like 4 days ago.

Now I'm running into the "invalid module format" error that someone else
had. I'm not using a vm and if I do uname -r I'm running the latest
kernel.
uname -r shows 4.8.0-rc6+.

ls /boot shows

config-3.16.0-4-amd64  initrd.img-3.16.0-4-amd64
System.map-3.16.0-4-amd64  vmlinuz-4.8.0-rc6+
config-4.8.0-rc6+      initrd.img-4.8.0-rc6+      System.map-4.8.0-rc6+
grub                   lost+found                 vmlinuz-3.16.0-4-amd64

I think that running $ make -j2 && sudo make modules_install could solve
this problem? If I can't do insmod can I just do modprobe?

Thanks,
Liz

@ 2016-10-16  1:29           ` Elizabeth Ferdman
From: Elizabeth Ferdman @ 2016-10-16  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Baluta; +Cc: Alison Schofield, outreachy-kernel

On Sat, Oct 15, 2016 at 02:07:48PM -0700, Elizabeth Ferdman wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 07:06:27PM +0300, Daniel Baluta wrote:

> > > Hey Daniel,
> > > Thanks for the reply. I did get fetch origin, but I'm still getting the
> > > same error, plus some more. I pasted the log here:
> > > http://pastebin.com/WXL5Vxt8
> > >
> > > Just to clarify I've been following the tutorial and I chose the 5
> > > config options in menuconfig. I also mounted configfs.
> >

> > For these:
> >
> > ERROR: "iio_register_sw_device_type" [drivers/iio/dummy/iio_dummy.ko] undefined!
> > ERROR: "iio_unregister_sw_device_type"
> > [drivers/iio/dummy/iio_dummy.ko] undefined!
> >
> > You need to enable CONFIG_IIO_SW_DEVICE.
> >
> Hey Daniel,
> I already had that configured. It turns out all I needed to do was "make
> clean" and it worked fine after that. UGH! Wish I had thought of that
> like 4 days ago.
>
> Now I'm running into the "invalid module format" error that someone else
> had. I'm not using a vm and if I do uname -r I'm running the latest
> kernel.
> uname -r shows 4.8.0-rc6+.
>
> ls /boot shows
>
> config-3.16.0-4-amd64  initrd.img-3.16.0-4-amd64
> System.map-3.16.0-4-amd64  vmlinuz-4.8.0-rc6+
> config-4.8.0-rc6+      initrd.img-4.8.0-rc6+      System.map-4.8.0-rc6+
> grub                   lost+found                 vmlinuz-3.16.0-4-amd64
>
> I think that running $ make -j2 && sudo make modules_install could solve
> this problem? If I can't do insmod can I just do modprobe?

I was able to make iio_dummy_evgen.ko and iio_dummy.ko. I had not
installed the new kernel which was 4.8.0 not 4.8.0-rc6+. I did make,
make install and make modules_install, then it worked.

Now I'm trying to do insmod. I'm getting the error "Unknown symbol in
module"

dmesg shows:
iio_dummy_evgen: Unknown symbol iio_bus_type (err 0)

Liz

@ 2016-10-16  2:04           ` Eva Rachel Retuya
From: Eva Rachel Retuya @ 2016-10-16  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elizabeth Ferdman; +Cc: Daniel Baluta, Alison Schofield, outreachy-kernel

Hi Liz,

On Sat, Oct 15, 2016 at 02:07:49PM -0700, Elizabeth Ferdman wrote:
----massive snip----
> I think that running $ make -j2 && sudo make modules_install could solve
> this problem? If I can't do insmod can I just do modprobe?

modprobe is OK to use.

Eva

@ 2016-10-16 21:23             ` Elizabeth Ferdman
From: Elizabeth Ferdman @ 2016-10-16 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eva Rachel Retuya; +Cc: Daniel Baluta, Alison Schofield, outreachy-kernel

On Sun, Oct 16, 2016 at 10:04:27AM +0800, Eva Rachel Retuya wrote:
> Hi Liz,
>
> On Sat, Oct 15, 2016 at 02:07:49PM -0700, Elizabeth Ferdman wrote:
> ----massive snip----
> > I think that running $ make -j2 && sudo make modules_install could solve
> > this problem? If I can't do insmod can I just do modprobe?
> >

> modprobe is OK to use.

Thanks, I used modprobe and the modules were loaded.

I'm running into this issue in Task 01
When I do 'ls -l /config/iio/devices/dummy/' the terminal just hangs. I
closed the terminal and tried it a few more times but it was just
freezing and I had to xkill it. I have been following the tutorial. I
mounted the configfs at /config, made the modules, loaded them, ran
mkdir /config/iio/devices/dummy/my_dummy_device.

These succeeded:
lsmod | grep dummy
ls -l /sys/bus/iio/devices/iio:device0/
ls -l /sys/bus/iio/devices/iio_evgen/

The one that's no working is
ls -l /config/iio/devices/dummy/my_dummy_device
or

@ 2016-10-16 23:49               ` Eva Rachel Retuya
From: Eva Rachel Retuya @ 2016-10-16 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elizabeth Ferdman; +Cc: Daniel Baluta, Alison Schofield, outreachy-kernel

On Sun, Oct 16, 2016 at 02:23:58PM -0700, Elizabeth Ferdman wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 16, 2016 at 10:04:27AM +0800, Eva Rachel Retuya wrote:
> > Hi Liz,
> >
> > On Sat, Oct 15, 2016 at 02:07:49PM -0700, Elizabeth Ferdman wrote:
> > ----massive snip----
> > > I think that running $ make -j2 && sudo make modules_install could solve
> > > this problem? If I can't do insmod can I just do modprobe?
> > >

> > modprobe is OK to use.
> >
> Thanks, I used modprobe and the modules were loaded.
>
> I'm running into this issue in Task 01
> When I do 'ls -l /config/iio/devices/dummy/' the terminal just hangs. I
> closed the terminal and tried it a few more times but it was just
> freezing and I had to xkill it. I have been following the tutorial. I
> mounted the configfs at /config, made the modules, loaded them, ran
> mkdir /config/iio/devices/dummy/my_dummy_device.

Hi,

I suggest to do 'make clean' again and start from scratch.
Run 'make menuconfig' and make sure the settings look like this:
{*} Industrial I/O support ---> (instead of module, make this built-in,
use 'y' instead of 'm')
<Descend this option where you'll configure configfs, dummy, etc>
{*} Enable IIO configuration via configfs (use 'y' instead of 'm')
<M> Enable software IIO device support
<M> Enable software triggers support

Under IIO dummy driver:
<M> An example driver with no hardware requirements
[*] Event generation support
[*] Buffered capture support

Compile and install, then boot to that kernel and test if it works.

Eva

@ 2017-03-23  8:28         ` sayli karnik
From: sayli karnik @ 2017-03-23  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Baluta; +Cc: Alison Schofield, outreachy-kernel

On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 11:32 PM, Daniel Baluta <daniel.baluta@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 8:48 PM, sayli karnik <karniksayli1995@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Well, are you using a virtual machine? Can you update your kernel?
>> No I'm not using a virtual machine. I'll try updating my kernel!
>> Do you suggest that I should boot into the kernel that
>> iio_dummy_evgen.ko belongs to?
>
> Yes. Another option would be to compile your module out of tree
> using the kernel headears of your running kernel.

I tried booting into the same kernel as the driver. On insmod I get:
Invalid module format
The dmesg output is:

[  580.388196] iio_dummy_evgen: version magic '4.11.0-rc3 SMP
mod_unload modversions ' should be '4.11.0-rc3 SMP mod_unload '
[  591.775123] iio_dummy: version magic '4.11.0-rc3 SMP mod_unload
modversions ' should be '4.11.0-rc3 SMP mod_unload '

Any suggestions?

thanks,
sayli

@ 2017-03-23 14:21                 ` SIMRAN SINGHAL
From: SIMRAN SINGHAL @ 2017-03-23 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel; +Cc: gnudevliz, daniel.baluta, amsfield22

On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 5:19:49 AM UTC+5:30, Eva Rachel Retuya wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 16, 2016 at 02:23:58PM -0700, Elizabeth Ferdman wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 16, 2016 at 10:04:27AM +0800, Eva Rachel Retuya wrote:
> > > Hi Liz,
> > >
> > > On Sat, Oct 15, 2016 at 02:07:49PM -0700, Elizabeth Ferdman wrote:
> > > ----massive snip----
> solve
> > > >

> > > modprobe is OK to use.
> > >
> > Thanks, I used modprobe and the modules were loaded.
> >
> > I'm running into this issue in Task 01
> > When I do 'ls -l /config/iio/devices/dummy/' the terminal just hangs. I
> > closed the terminal and tried it a few more times but it was just
> > freezing and I had to xkill it. I have been following the tutorial. I
> > mounted the configfs at /config, made the modules, loaded them, ran
> > mkdir /config/iio/devices/dummy/my_dummy_device.
> >

> Hi,
>
> I suggest to do 'make clean' again and start from scratch.
> Run 'make menuconfig' and make sure the settings look like this:
> {*} Industrial I/O support ---> (instead of module, make this built-in,
> use 'y' instead of 'm')
> <Descend this option where you'll configure configfs, dummy, etc>
> {*} Enable IIO configuration via configfs (use 'y' instead of 'm')
> <M> Enable software IIO device support
> <M> Enable software triggers support
>
> Under IIO dummy driver:
> <M> An example driver with no hardware requirements
> [*] Event generation support
> [*] Buffered capture support
>
> Compile and install, then boot to that kernel and test if it works.

Hi,

I am able to insert module iio_dummy_evgen.ko but when I run
$ sudo insmod iio_dummy.ko

I got the following error:
insmod: ERROR: could not insert module iio_dummy.ko: Unknown symbol in
module

And in dmesg I am getting following error:
iio_dummy: Unknown symbol iio_register_sw_device_type (err 0)

Any Idea?

@ 2017-03-23 14:39                   ` Daniel Baluta
From: Daniel Baluta @ 2017-03-23 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SIMRAN SINGHAL
  Cc: outreachy-kernel, Elizabeth Ferdman, Daniel Baluta, Alison Schofield

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 4:21 PM, SIMRAN SINGHAL
<singhalsimran0@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 5:19:49 AM UTC+5:30, Eva Rachel Retuya wrote:

>> > Thanks, I used modprobe and the modules were loaded.
>> >
>> > I'm running into this issue in Task 01
>> > When I do 'ls -l /config/iio/devices/dummy/' the terminal just hangs. I
>> > closed the terminal and tried it a few more times but it was just
>> > freezing and I had to xkill it. I have been following the tutorial. I
>> > mounted the configfs at /config, made the modules, loaded them, ran
>> > mkdir /config/iio/devices/dummy/my_dummy_device.
>> >

>> Hi,
>>
>> I suggest to do 'make clean' again and start from scratch.
>> Run 'make menuconfig' and make sure the settings look like this:
>> {*} Industrial I/O support ---> (instead of module, make this built-in,
>> use 'y' instead of 'm')
>> <Descend this option where you'll configure configfs, dummy, etc>
>> {*} Enable IIO configuration via configfs (use 'y' instead of 'm')
>> <M> Enable software IIO device support
>> <M> Enable software triggers support
>>
>> Under IIO dummy driver:
>> <M> An example driver with no hardware requirements
>> [*] Event generation support
>> [*] Buffered capture support
>>
>> Compile and install, then boot to that kernel and test if it works.
>

> Hi,
>
> I am able to insert module iio_dummy_evgen.ko but when I run
> $ sudo insmod iio_dummy.ko
>
> I got the following error:
> insmod: ERROR: could not insert module iio_dummy.ko: Unknown symbol in
> module
>
> And in dmesg I am getting following error:
> iio_dummy: Unknown symbol iio_register_sw_device_type (err 0)
>
> Any Idea?

Find the .c file which exports this symbol. Then look into the Makefile from the
same directory where you found the .c file and find the CONFIG_ symbol which
compiles the .c file.

Daniel.

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] IIO Experiment #1 Build Dummy Help
@ 2017-03-23 14:50                     ` SIMRAN SINGHAL
From: SIMRAN SINGHAL @ 2017-03-23 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel; +Cc: singhalsimran0, gnudevliz, daniel.baluta, amsfield22