* [ath9k-devel] DHCP Fails to Pass Through AP
@ 2009-05-04 12:13 ` Pat Erley
From: Pat Erley @ 2009-05-04 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Jason Daly wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When connecting Windows (XP/Vista) wireless clients to a hostapd AP,
> DHCP offers do not succeed.  When setting the network interface settings
> on the client to use a static configuration connectivity succeeds and
> client networking through the AP functions well.
>
> A high-level layout of my network is as follows:
>
> - Linux router running hostapd: 192.168.8.1
> - Windows Server 2003 DC running DHCP: 192.168.8.20
> - Windows XP/Vista clients
>
> Following are details of the router running hostapd:
>
> - Bridge interface: br0
> - Interfaces attached to the bridge: wlan0, eth1
> - Bridge IP: 192.168.8.1
>
> DHCP is working and the bridge functions: I have confirmed this by
> successfully
> obtaining a DHCP lease via the notebook's LAN port.
>
> I am using the following software versions:
>
> - hostapd 0.6.9
> - FC10(2.6.29.1-15.fc10.i686)
> - ath9k
>
> Following are the contents of my hostapd.conf file:
>
> bridge=br0
> interface=wlan0
> driver=nl80211
> ssid=myessid
> hw_mode=g
> channel=6
> eapol_version=1
> logger_syslog=-1
> logger_syslog_level=2
> logger_stdout=-1
> logger_stdout_level=2
> ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
> ctrl_interface_group=0
> macaddr_acl=0
> deny_mac_file=/etc/hostapd.deny
> auth_algs=3
> eapol_key_index_workaround=0
> eap_server=0
> dump_file=/tmp/hostapd.dump
> wpa=3
> wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
> wpa_pairwise=TKIP CCMP
> wpa_psk=*********
> ieee8021x=0
>

> Is there a setting in hostapd that must be added to allow DHCP to pass
> through
> the bridge.  UDP works fine through the bridge, as the client can see the
> Windows domain and can broadcast for clients on the domain (when connected
> via
> a static IP or via a physical LAN cable).

I'm using ath9k w/2.6.29.1+Compat-Wireless for an access point and have no
such problems.  Not that it should affect your setup, but auth_algs could be
set to 1 instead of 3, as you don't define any WEP keys anyways, so there's
not shared auth available.  I have had problems with having CCMP set and some
windows clients with my AP, so I have :

wpa=3
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_pairwise=TKIP
rsn_pairwise=CCMP

So that wpa only uses TKIP, and wpa2 only uses CCMP, but again, that shouldn't
affect dhcp.  Tried restarting dhcpd after hostapd?  Maybe hostapd startup is
causing dhcpd to get wonky.  Aside from that, I'd suspect something in your
firewall rules and/or something in your dhcpd.conf.

Pat Erley

* [ath9k-devel] DHCP Fails to Pass Through AP
@ 2009-05-05  4:32 Jason Daly
From: Jason Daly @ 2009-05-05  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

[...]

Thanks
-JASON

* [ath9k-devel] DHCP Fails to Pass Through AP
@ 2009-05-06 20:08     ` Pat Erley
From: Pat Erley @ 2009-05-06 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Jason Daly wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> After further analysis and testing it appears that this issue lays with
> the ath9k driver and not with hostapd.  I replaced my ar54xx card with a
> b43 card and the access point now works without issue (DHCP passes
> through without issue).  I made no other changes in my setup (other than
> updating hostapd.conf to reference wlan1 instead of wlan0).
>
> It may be that certain bits aren't relayed by the ath9k driver -- ones
> required by MS wireless clients.

What's the dmesg output and/or the lspci output for this card?

I have dhcp+ath9k working with:

Atheros AR9280 MAC/BB Rev:2 AR5133 RF Rev:d0

and

Atheros AR5416 MAC/BB Rev:2 AR2133 RF Rev:81

That is with:

 Windows XP
 Linux
 Windows Mobile
 Windows 98 (yes, I still have a Win98 box around...)
 PS3
 iPhone

Clients, using wpa and/or wpa2, 802.11n enabled, running on multiple VIFs.
I'm not running the VIFs bridged with wired though.

Pat Erley

* [ath9k-devel] DHCP Fails to Pass Through AP
@ 2009-05-06 23:08   ` Jason Daly
From: Jason Daly @ 2009-05-06 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Thanks for the reply.

After further analysis and testing it appears that this issue lays with
the ath9k driver and not with hostapd.  I replaced my ar54xx card with a
b43 card and the access point now works without issue (DHCP passes
through without issue).  I made no other changes in my setup (other than
updating hostapd.conf to reference wlan1 instead of wlan0).

It may be that certain bits aren't relayed by the ath9k driver -- ones
required by MS wireless clients.

-JD