* Copying a disk containing a btrfs filesystem
@ 2014-04-10 13:21 Michael Schuerig
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Michael Schuerig @ 2014-04-10 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs, linux-btrfs

SMART indicates that my notebook disk may soon be failing (an
unreadable/uncorrectable sector), therefore I intend to exchange it. The
disk contains a single btrfs filesystem with several nested(!)
subvolumes, each with several read-only snapshots in a .snapshots
subdirectory.

As far as I can tell, btrfs currently does not offer a sensible way to
duplicate the entire contents of the old disk onto a new one. I can use
cp, rsync, or send/receive to copy the "main" subvolumes. But unless I'm
missing something obvious, the snapshots are effectively lost. btrfs
send optionally takes multiple clone sources, but I've never seen an
example of its usage.

If that's what "experimental" means, I'm willing to accept it. However,
I'd like to emphasize that there's still something missing. Of course,
most of all I'd like to be proved wrong.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:michael@schuerig.de