* How to migrate an older version of Yocto?
@ 2023-08-03 12:51 msenturk
From: msenturk @ 2023-08-03 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hello everyone, I know It sounds kinda weird but how can I migrate to an older version of Yocto? I build an Image using Gatesgarth but now I want to build a new Image using Zeus. The documentation I found is generally about migration to a newer version. Thank you.

* Re: [yocto] How to migrate an older version of Yocto?
@ 2023-08-03 12:56 ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2023-08-03 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: msenturk; +Cc: yocto

It helps if you provide context. Why do you want to do this? What problem
do you need to solve? Both versions have been end of life for a long time,
and the only correct answer is to first transition to something that is
currently supported.

Alex

On Thu 3. Aug 2023 at 14.51, msenturk <senturkmurat1999@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone, I know It sounds kinda weird but how can I migrate to an
> older version of Yocto? I build an Image using Gatesgarth but now I want to
> build a new Image using Zeus. The documentation I found is generally about
> migration to a newer version. Thank you.

* Re: How to migrate an older version of Yocto?
@ 2023-08-03 16:01   ` msenturk
From: msenturk @ 2023-08-03 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

I am currently trying to build a custom Linux for Zedboard. Supported Yocto versions are limited for Xilinx: https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian. net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/188418 83/Yocto ( https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/18841883/Yocto ). I chose Gatesgarth because It has more recipes than Honister. And there is no meta-xilinx layer for Langdale. I followed two tutorials I found on Youtube. The first one using a Zedboard: https://youtu.be/XPnmB-THjiY and the second one using Zybo Board: https://youtu.be/FMCfn0zwhaQ. I built an Image, formatted an sd card, copy the files, inserted the sd card to the Zedboard and turn on the power. But, it didn't boot. There is no single message on Putty terminal. After some research, I found the same situation for ZC702 board: https://stackoverflow.com/ques tions/68098124/zc702-not-booti ng-up-my-yocto-created-build ( https://stackoverflow.com/questions/68098124/zc702-not-booting-up-my-yocto-created-build ). So,now I want to try the Zeus version. At least, I found a tutorial for Zeus: https://pcotret.github.io/yoct o-zedboard-101/ ( https://pcotret.github.io/yocto-zedboard-101/ ).

* Re: [yocto] How to migrate an older version of Yocto?
@ 2023-08-03 16:25     ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2023-08-03 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: msenturk; +Cc: yocto

Sorry that you got confused by various outdated or inaccurate guides
and tutorials. meta-xilinx for example does have a langdale branch
https://github.com/Xilinx/meta-xilinx/branches/active
If you think later version has less recipes than an earlier version,
that is almost certainly a misunderstanding, and the recipes are
probably somewhere else.

My advice is to take master branches for all layers, and then you're
going to have latest and supported versions of everything and if
something goes wrong it's much easier to provide help. zedboard
machine is available here
https://github.com/Xilinx/meta-xilinx/blob/master/meta-xilinx-vendor/conf/machine/zedboard-zynq7.conf

Alex

@ 2023-08-04  8:27       ` msenturk
From: msenturk @ 2023-08-04  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Thanks for the answer. I wonder what the difference is between using Langdale branch or Master Branch. Also, How can I migrate to Langdale? Migration Guides generally give information about migration from the prior version. I actually want to delete everything about Yocto and start from scratch.

* Re: [yocto] How to migrate an older version of Yocto?
@ 2023-08-04  9:35         ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2023-08-04  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: msenturk; +Cc: yocto

On Fri, 4 Aug 2023 at 10:27, msenturk <senturkmurat1999@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the answer. I wonder what the difference is between using Langdale branch or Master Branch. Also, How can I migrate to Langdale? Migration Guides generally give information about migration from the prior version. I actually want to delete everything about Yocto and start from scratch.

Langdate is actually no longer supported/maitained either, please
check the support information here:
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Releases

There isn't much guidance needed to migrating to an older version.
Once you are happy with a build using master, make a fresh checkout
(in a separate directory) of all the layers to their respective older
version branches, and repeat what you did there, fixing issues as they
arise. There should also be a good reason to use the older releases,
and I haven't seen it yet in your case.

Alex

* Re: How to migrate an older version of Yocto?
@ 2023-08-10  7:57           ` msenturk
From: msenturk @ 2023-08-10  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

I am convinced to not use an older version. As I said, I am currently using Gatesgarth. I am planning to migrate to Mickledore which is currently supported. How can I migrate? I looked system requirements for Mickledore and everything seems good. Could you tell it with details for a beginner. Thank you.

* Re: [yocto] How to migrate an older version of Yocto?
@ 2023-08-10  8:28             ` Michael Opdenacker
From: Michael Opdenacker @ 2023-08-10  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: msenturk; +Cc: yocto

Hello,

On 10.08.23 at 09:57, msenturk wrote:
> I am convinced to not use an older version. As I said, I am currently
> using Gatesgarth. I am planning to migrate to Mickledore which is
> currently supported. How can I migrate? I looked system requirements
> for Mickledore and everything seems good. Could you tell it with
> details for a beginner. Thank you.

At least here's how I did it on a recent project. You just have to
switch to the "mickledore" branches of the repositories you're using
(such as poky and layer repositories), and then try to build your images
with your own layers. There will be issues that you will have to fix by
updating your configuration and your own layers (preferably in a new
"mickledore" branch too).

Don't worry, error messages are pretty helpful and updating to
Mickledore shouldn't be complicated.

Also see the migration notes
(https://docs.yoctoproject.org/migration-guides/index.html) telling you
what you will have to update when moving from one release to the next.

You may actually prefer to use our latest long term support release,
Kirkstone, which will be supported until 2026.

I hope this helps,
Cheers
Michael.

--
Michael Opdenacker, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

* Re: [yocto] How to migrate an older version of Yocto?
@ 2023-08-10  8:35               ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2023-08-10  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: michael.opdenacker; +Cc: msenturk, yocto

On Thu, 10 Aug 2023 at 10:28, Michael Opdenacker via
lists.yoctoproject.org
<michael.opdenacker=bootlin.com@lists.yoctoproject.org> wrote:
> You may actually prefer to use our latest long term support release,
> Kirkstone, which will be supported until 2026.

For what it's worth, I would not recommend anyone to start with the
LTS. It's useful if you are shipping a product (or are close to it),
and need a stable base for the product lifecycle, but in the setting
up or active development it's better to stick with master or latest
release. If you discover that you need LTS, you're gonna get it
naturally that way when the next one comes, with the bonus that that
next LTS will be supported longer than the one available now.

Alex

* Re: How to migrate an older version of Yocto?
@ 2023-08-10 10:51               ` msenturk
From: msenturk @ 2023-08-10 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

I looked for Kirkstone but there is only a kirkstone-next layer for meta-xilinx repository: https://github.com/Xilinx/meta-xilinx/tree/kirkstone-next. I actually don't understand what the difference is between these normal and -next branches. My guess is they create them for the uncompleted code. Once they complete the coding, they publish with normal branch name such as "kirkstone". Therefore, I am planning to use Mickledore: https://github.com/Xilinx/meta-xilinx/tree/mickledore. Alexander Kanavin's explanation is also something I'll care. Can I migrate from Gatesgarth to Mickledore directly or do I need to migrate those version one by one? I read some of these migration guides but kinda didn't understand to be honest. They seem more like giving information about what they changed with the new version instead of what you have to change to migrate this version. Besides of switching branches, do I need to download host packages: https://docs.yoctoproject.org/4.2.2/brief-yoctoprojectqs/index.html#build-host-packages. Thank you.

* Re: [yocto] How to migrate an older version of Yocto?
@ 2023-08-10 11:42                 ` Ross Burton
From: Ross Burton @ 2023-08-10 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10 Aug 2023, at 09:35, Alexander Kanavin via lists.yoctoproject.org <alex.kanavin=gmail.com@lists.yoctoproject.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Aug 2023 at 10:28, Michael Opdenacker via
> lists.yoctoproject.org
> <michael.opdenacker=bootlin.com@lists.yoctoproject.org> wrote:
>> You may actually prefer to use our latest long term support release,
>> Kirkstone, which will be supported until 2026.
>
> For what it's worth, I would not recommend anyone to start with the
> LTS. It's useful if you are shipping a product (or are close to it),
> and need a stable base for the product lifecycle, but in the setting
> up or active development it's better to stick with master or latest
> release. If you discover that you need LTS, you're gonna get it
> naturally that way when the next one comes, with the bonus that that
> next LTS will be supported longer than the one available now.

I’m not sure I’d recommend anyone who isn’t very experienced with Yocto to setup a new project on _master_, as it changes frequently.

For a product which is in active development and will be released after the next LTS then there’s a case to be made for tracking the latest releases until a LTS, and then sticking with that.  No point starting on an LTS now if you’re not shipping for another 18 months.

If the project is hobbyist or experimental, then the latest releases are ideal.

Ross

* Re: [yocto] How to migrate an older version of Yocto?
@ 2023-08-10 16:25                 ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2023-08-10 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: msenturk; +Cc: yocto, mark.hatle

You just need to switch all the layers to the needed branch and run
the build, and see what happens. It's impossible to predict that until
the build runs and fails in some way, but when it does fail, we can
offer guidance, or you can look it up in migration guides first
perhaps.

I'm not sure where kirkstone went in meta-xilinx, but you can just use
mickledore.

Alex

@ 2023-08-14 12:53                   ` msenturk
From: msenturk @ 2023-08-14 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Thanks for the answers. I switched to mickledore and tried to build but unfortunately received some errors and warnings:

ERROR: Task (/home/stj/poky/meta/recipes-devtools/gcc/gcc_12.3.bb:do_compile) failed with exit code '1'
WARNING: linux-xlnx-6.1.5-xilinx-v2023.1+gitAUTOINC+716921b6d7-r0 do_fetch: Failed to fetch URL git://github.com/Xilinx/linux-xlnx.git;protocol=https;name=machine;branch=xlnx_rebase_v6.1_LTS, attempting MIRRORS if available
WARNING: qemu-xilinx-native-v7.1.0-xilinx-v2023.1+gitAUTOINC+21adc9f99e-r0 do_fetch: Failed to fetch URL gitsm://gitlab.com/qemu-project/u-boot.git;protocol=https;name=roms/u-boot;subpath=roms/u-boot;nobranch=1;bareclone=1;nobranch=1, attempting MIRRORS if available
ERROR: linux-xlnx-6.1.5-xilinx-v2023.1+gitAUTOINC+716921b6d7-r0 do_fetch: Fetcher failure: Fetch command export PSEUDO_DISABLED=1; export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS="unix:path=/run/user/1002/bus"; export SSH_AGENT_PID="3557"; export SSH_AUTH_SOCK="/run/user/1002/keyring/ssh"; export PATH="/home/stj/poky/build_mickledore/tmp/sysroots-uninative/x86_64-linux/usr/bin:/home/stj/poky/scripts:/home/stj/poky/build_mickledore/tmp/work/zedboard_zynq7-poky-linux-gnueabi/linux-xlnx/6.1.5-xilinx-v2023.1+gitAUTOINC+716921b6d7-r0/recipe-sysroot-native/usr/bin/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi:/home/stj/poky/build_mickledore/tmp/work/zedboard_zynq7-poky-linux-gnueabi/linux-xlnx/6.1.5-xilinx-v2023.1+gitAUTOINC+716921b6d7-r0/recipe-sysroot/usr/bin/crossscripts:/home/stj/poky/build_mickledore/tmp/work/zedboard_zynq7-poky-linux-gnueabi/linux-xlnx/6.1.5-xilinx-v2023.1+gitAUTOINC+716921b6d7-r0/recipe-sysroot-native/usr/sbin:/home/stj/poky/build_mickledore/tmp/work/zedboard_zynq7-poky-linux-gnueabi/linux-xlnx/6.1.5-xilinx-v2023.1+gitAUTOINC+716921b6d7-r0/recipe-sysroot-native/usr/bin:/home/stj/poky/build_mickledore/tmp/work/zedboard_zynq7-poky-linux-gnueabi/linux-xlnx/6.1.5-xilinx-v2023.1+gitAUTOINC+716921b6d7-r0/recipe-sysroot-native/sbin:/home/stj/poky/build_mickledore/tmp/work/zedboard_zynq7-poky-linux-gnueabi/linux-xlnx/6.1.5-xilinx-v2023.1+gitAUTOINC+716921b6d7-r0/recipe-sysroot-native/bin:/home/stj/poky/bitbake/bin:/home/stj/poky/build_mickledore/tmp/hosttools"; export HOME="/home/stj"; LANG=C git -c gc.autoDetach=false -c core.pager=cat clone --bare --mirror https://github.com/Xilinx/linux-xlnx.git /home/stj/poky/build_mickledore/downloads/git2/github.com.Xilinx.linux-xlnx.git --progress failed with exit code 128, no output
ERROR: linux-xlnx-6.1.5-xilinx-v2023.1+gitAUTOINC+716921b6d7-r0 do_fetch: Bitbake Fetcher Error: FetchError('Unable to fetch URL from any source.', 'git://github.com/Xilinx/linux-xlnx.git;protocol=https;name=machine;branch=xlnx_rebase_v6.1_LTS')
ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in: /home/stj/poky/build_mickledore/tmp/work/zedboard_zynq7-poky-linux-gnueabi/linux-xlnx/6.1.5-xilinx-v2023.1+gitAUTOINC+716921b6d7-r0/temp/log.do_fetch.6793
ERROR: Task (/home/stj/poky/meta-xilinx/meta-xilinx-core/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-xlnx_2023.1.bb:do_fetch) failed with exit code '1'
ERROR: qemu-xilinx-native-v7.1.0-xilinx-v2023.1+gitAUTOINC+21adc9f99e-r0 do_fetch: Fetcher failure: Fetch command export PSEUDO_DISABLED=1; export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS="unix:path=/run/user/1002/bus"; export SSH_AGENT_PID="3557"; export SSH_AUTH_SOCK="/run/user/1002/keyring/ssh"; export PATH="/home/stj/poky/scripts/native-intercept:/home/stj/poky/build_mickledore/tmp/sysroots-uninative/x86_64-linux/usr/bin:/home/stj/poky/scripts:/home/stj/poky/build_mickledore/tmp/work/x86_64-linux/qemu-xilinx-native/v7.1.0-xilinx-v2023.1+gitAUTOINC+21adc9f99e-r0/recipe-sysroot-native/usr/bin/x86_64-linux:/home/stj/poky/build_mickledore/tmp/work/x86_64-linux/qemu-xilinx-native/v7.1.0-xilinx-v2023.1+gitAUTOINC+21adc9f99e-r0/recipe-sysroot-native/usr/bin:/home/stj/poky/build_mickledore/tmp/work/x86_64-linux/qemu-xilinx-native/v7.1.0-xilinx-v2023.1+gitAUTOINC+21adc9f99e-r0/recipe-sysroot-native/usr/sbin:/home/stj/poky/build_mickledore/tmp/work/x86_64-linux/qemu-xilinx-native/v7.1.0-xilinx-v2023.1+gitAUTOINC+21adc9f99e-r0/recipe-sysroot-native/usr/bin:/home/stj/poky/build_mickledore/tmp/work/x86_64-linux/qemu-xilinx-native/v7.1.0-xilinx-v2023.1+gitAUTOINC+21adc9f99e-r0/recipe-sysroot-native/sbin:/home/stj/poky/build_mickledore/tmp/work/x86_64-linux/qemu-xilinx-native/v7.1.0-xilinx-v2023.1+gitAUTOINC+21adc9f99e-r0/recipe-sysroot-native/bin:/home/stj/poky/bitbake/bin:/home/stj/poky/build_mickledore/tmp/hosttools"; export HOME="/home/stj"; LANG=C git -c gc.autoDetach=false -c core.pager=cat clone --bare --mirror https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/u-boot.git /home/stj/poky/build_mickledore/downloads/git2/gitlab.com.qemu-project.u-boot.git --progress failed with exit code 128, no output
ERROR: qemu-xilinx-native-v7.1.0-xilinx-v2023.1+gitAUTOINC+21adc9f99e-r0 do_fetch: gitsm: submodule download failed: FetchError Fetcher failure for URL: 'gitsm://gitlab.com/qemu-project/u-boot.git;protocol=https;name=roms/u-boot;subpath=roms/u-boot;nobranch=1;bareclone=1;nobranch=1'. Unable to fetch URL from any source.
WARNING: qemu-xilinx-native-v7.1.0-xilinx-v2023.1+gitAUTOINC+21adc9f99e-r0 do_fetch: Failed to fetch URL gitsm://github.com/Xilinx/qemu.git;protocol=https;branch=xlnx_rel_v2023.1, attempting MIRRORS if available
ERROR: qemu-xilinx-native-v7.1.0-xilinx-v2023.1+gitAUTOINC+21adc9f99e-r0 do_fetch: Fetcher failure for URL: 'gitsm://gitlab.com/qemu-project/u-boot.git;protocol=https;name=roms/u-boot;subpath=roms/u-boot;nobranch=1;bareclone=1;nobranch=1'. Unable to fetch URL from any source.
ERROR: qemu-xilinx-native-v7.1.0-xilinx-v2023.1+gitAUTOINC+21adc9f99e-r0 do_fetch: Bitbake Fetcher Error: FetchError('Unable to fetch URL from any source.', 'gitsm://github.com/Xilinx/qemu.git;protocol=https;branch=xlnx_rel_v2023.1')
ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in: /home/stj/poky/build_mickledore/tmp/work/x86_64-linux/qemu-xilinx-native/v7.1.0-xilinx-v2023.1+gitAUTOINC+21adc9f99e-r0/temp/log.do_fetch.6798
ERROR: Task (/home/stj/poky/meta-xilinx/meta-xilinx-core/recipes-devtools/qemu/qemu-xilinx-native_2023.1.bb:do_fetch) failed with exit code '1'
WARNING: qemu-xilinx-system-native-v7.1.0-xilinx-v2023.1+gitAUTOINC+21adc9f99e-r0 do_fetch: Failed to fetch URL gitsm://github.com/openssl/openssl;protocol=https;name=CryptoPkg/Library/OpensslLib/openssl;subpath=CryptoPkg/Library/OpensslLib/openssl;nobranch=1;bareclone=1;nobranch=1, attempting MIRRORS if available
NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 2055 tasks of which 2010 didn't need to be rerun and 5 failed.

* Re: [yocto] How to migrate an older version of Yocto?
@ 2023-08-14 13:22                     ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2023-08-14 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: msenturk; +Cc: yocto

This snippet doesn't show what the errors are. I would suggest you set
up a new build directory first and try then. Also make sure that all
layers are indeed checked out to latest mickledore.

Alex

@ 2023-08-15  7:29                       ` Philip Balister
From: Philip Balister @ 2023-08-15  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Kanavin, msenturk; +Cc: yocto

Also try asking on the meta-xilinx list.

Philip