* OMAP4 keypad driver
@ 2010-04-08  1:16 Arce, Abraham
From: Arce, Abraham @ 2010-04-08  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-omap

Hi,

I need some help to figure out the best way to incorporate omap4 keypad in linux omap.

First approach, I have a patch that creates a new file, omap4-keypad.c with the following implementations:

 - Based on matrix keypac logic
 - Using hwmod framework
 - Using threaded irq

Second approach, to change existing omap-keypad.c to matrix keypad

Not clear on the path to follow... Thanks for your comments.

Best Regards
Abraham

* Re: OMAP4 keypad driver
@ 2010-04-08  4:42 ` Felipe Balbi
From: Felipe Balbi @ 2010-04-08  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ext Arce, Abraham; +Cc: linux-omap

On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 03:16:08AM +0200, ext Arce, Abraham wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I need some help to figure out the best way to incorporate omap4 keypad in linux omap.
>
>First approach, I have a patch that creates a new file, omap4-keypad.c with the following implementations:
>
> - Based on matrix keypac logic
> - Using hwmod framework
> - Using threaded irq
>
>Second approach, to change existing omap-keypad.c to matrix keypad
>
>Not clear on the path to follow... Thanks for your comments.

isn't that part of the twl6030 pmic ? If so you need a better name for
it, something like twl6030-keypad.c

In that case I don't know why do you care about hwmod, but I would need
to see the patch anyways.

Well, if you need example code, look at
drivers/input/keyboard/twl4030_keypad.c

The driver should be sent to linux-input@vger.kernel.org and
linux-omap@vger.kernel.org. Be sure that it patches
scripts/checkpatch.pl --strict and that you're not adding any sparse
warnings. Double check Documentation/CodingStyle,
Documentation/SubmittingPatches, Documentation/SubmittingDrivers and
Documentation/SubmitChecklist.

Be sure that the new driver, comes on one patch of its own and the
arch/arm/*omap* changes should come in a separate patch and a third one
for defconfig changes.

The rest we can sort out when you send the patch.

--
balbi

* RE: OMAP4 keypad driver
@ 2010-04-08  5:43   ` Shilimkar, Santosh
From: Shilimkar, Santosh @ 2010-04-08  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: felipe.balbi, Arce, Abraham; +Cc: linux-omap

It's not. OMAP4 has it's own keyboard controller embedded.

> In that case I don't know why do you care about hwmod, but I would need
> to see the patch anyways.
>
> Well, if you need example code, look at
> drivers/input/keyboard/twl4030_keypad.c
>
> The driver should be sent to linux-input@vger.kernel.org and
> linux-omap@vger.kernel.org. Be sure that it patches
> scripts/checkpatch.pl --strict and that you're not adding any sparse
> warnings. Double check Documentation/CodingStyle,
> Documentation/SubmittingPatches, Documentation/SubmittingDrivers and
> Documentation/SubmitChecklist.
>
> Be sure that the new driver, comes on one patch of its own and the
> arch/arm/*omap* changes should come in a separate patch and a third one
> for defconfig changes.
>
> The rest we can sort out when you send the patch.
>
> --
> balbi

* Re: OMAP4 keypad driver
@ 2010-04-08  5:50     ` Felipe Balbi
From: Felipe Balbi @ 2010-04-08  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ext Shilimkar, Santosh
  Cc: Balbi Felipe (Nokia-D/Helsinki), Arce, Abraham, linux-omap

On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 07:43:44AM +0200, ext Shilimkar, Santosh wrote:
> [...]

then why do you use threaded_irq ? If omap4 has its own keypad
controller, then sure it's memory-mapped, no ? Well, please send the
driver and we can comment further :-p

--
balbi

* RE: OMAP4 keypad driver
@ 2010-04-08  5:56       ` Shilimkar, Santosh
From: Shilimkar, Santosh @ 2010-04-08  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
> On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 07:43:44AM +0200, ext Shilimkar, Santosh wrote:

Probably that's better :)

I think Abraham initial driver has top half (ISR) and bottom
half (tasklet). Threaded IRQ is used to get rid-of tasklet and handle
the bottom half in thread context. IIRC this was on of the intention of this
new API.

Regards,
Santosh

* Re: OMAP4 keypad driver
@ 2010-04-08 15:21 ` Kevin Hilman
From: Kevin Hilman @ 2010-04-08 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arce, Abraham; +Cc: linux-omap

"Arce, Abraham" <x0066660@ti.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I need some help to figure out the best way to incorporate omap4 keypad in linux omap.
>
> First approach, I have a patch that creates a new file, omap4-keypad.c with the following implementations:
>
>  - Based on matrix keypac logic
>  - Using hwmod framework
>  - Using threaded irq

This approach sounds good to me.  New drivers should use threaded IRQs
wherever possible.

Kevin