* Need help locating octeon_usb driver
@ 2020-03-10  6:04 Deepak Varma
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Deepak Varma @ 2020-03-10  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel

Hello all,
I made a clean up change to the octeon-usb driver file. I tried to correct
a checkpatch warning of exceed 80 column. However, I am not able to locate
this driver in the device driver list during "make menuconfig".

I have verified the driver dependencies. I am unable to understand the
CAVIUM_OCTEON_SOC dependency. Its set to unknown. Is this something
referred to as BROKEN???

Thank you,
Deepak.

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] Need help locating octeon_usb driver
@ 2020-03-10  6:23 ` Wambui Karuga
From: Wambui Karuga @ 2020-03-10  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak Varma; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

Hi Deepak,

On Mon, 9 Mar 2020, Deepak Varma wrote:

> Hello all,
> I made a clean up change to the octeon-usb driver file. I tried to correct a checkpatch warning of exceed 80 column. However, I am not able to locate this driver in the device driver list during "make menuconfig".
>
> I have verified the driver dependencies. I am unable to understand the CAVIUM_OCTEON_SOC dependency. Its set to unknown. Is this something referred to as BROKEN???

I worked on the octeon driver during the last outreachy application
period, and managed to break some things.

Please cross-compile this driver with the cavium_octeon_defconfig config
file in arch/mips/configs/ to ensure that you don't do the same.

As far as I can tell though, this driver has been removed from the latest
staging tree.

wambui karuga.

@ 2020-03-10  6:54 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2020-03-10  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak Varma; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

On Mon, Mar 09, 2020 at 11:04:00PM -0700, Deepak Varma wrote:
> Hello all,
> I made a clean up change to the octeon-usb driver file. I tried to correct
> a checkpatch warning of exceed 80 column. However, I am not able to locate
> this driver in the device driver list during "make menuconfig".
>
> I have verified the driver dependencies. I am unable to understand the
> CAVIUM_OCTEON_SOC dependency. Its set to unknown. Is this something
> referred to as BROKEN???

No, you need to set that hardware configuration option in order to be
able to build this.  And to do that, you have to build for the MIPS
platform, which is quite difficult usually.

Sorry about this, this driver is tough to build, and is a pain, I would
stay away from it for now until you get more experience.

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] Need help locating octeon_usb driver
@ 2020-03-10  6:55   ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2020-03-10  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wambui Karuga; +Cc: Deepak Varma, outreachy-kernel

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 09:23:44AM +0300, Wambui Karuga wrote:
> Hi Deepak,
>
> On Mon, 9 Mar 2020, Deepak Varma wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> > I made a clean up change to the octeon-usb driver file. I tried to correct a checkpatch warning of exceed 80 column. However, I am not able to locate this driver in the device driver list during "make menuconfig".
> >
> > I have verified the driver dependencies. I am unable to understand the CAVIUM_OCTEON_SOC dependency. Its set to unknown. Is this something referred to as BROKEN???
> >

> I worked on the octeon driver during the last outreachy application period,
> and managed to break some things.
>
> Please cross-compile this driver with the cavium_octeon_defconfig config
> file in arch/mips/configs/ to ensure that you don't do the same.
>
> As far as I can tell though, this driver has been removed from the latest
> staging tree.

It was removed, but it's now back as people were relying on it :(

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: Need help locating octeon_usb driver
@ 2020-03-10  7:45 ` Deepak Varma
From: Deepak Varma @ 2020-03-10  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel