* [U-Boot-Users] script to delete all trailing space
@ 2007-03-12 10:14 Aubrey Li
From: Aubrey Li @ 2007-03-12 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi all Custodians,

I'm suffering from coding style issues when I request a blackfin git
pull to the upstream u-boot. Here I wrote a simple script(attached) to
delete all the trailing space in the files. Hope it's useful for you
and feel free to re-write it.

Best Regards,
-Aubrey

#!/bin/sh
# delete all the trailing white space characters (SPACE and
# TAB) at the end of all the lines in a file
# Usage:
#|______./strip-trailing-space.sh files
#
# The script:
#
#  Copyright (C) 2007 Aubrey Li, All Rights Reserved.
#
#  This script is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
#  it under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2 as
#  published by the Free Software Foundation.
strip()
{
|_______cp $1 $1~
|_______sed -e 's/\s\+$//' < $1~ > $1
}

for i in $*
do strip $i
done
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2007-03-12 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

In message <27d85ee10703120314i2f5601ffica5fe5a0958b7ba1@mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> for i in $*
> do strip $i
> done

This will typically NOT do what you might expect.

strip - Discard symbols from object files

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Mistakes are often the stepping stones to utter failure.

* [U-Boot-Users] script to delete all trailing space
@ 2007-03-12 13:46   ` Aubrey Li
From: Aubrey Li @ 2007-03-12 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 3/12/07, Wolfgang Denk <wd@denx.de> wrote:
> In message <27d85ee10703120314i2f5601ffica5fe5a0958b7ba1@mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
> >
> > for i in $*
> > do strip $i
> > done
>
> This will typically NOT do what you might expect.
>
> strip - Discard symbols from object files

You are wrong. If the name of the function in the script is the same
as the external application, the function will be executed, NOT the
external application.

Best Regards,
-Aubrey

* [U-Boot-Users] script to delete all trailing space
@ 2007-03-12 13:51     ` Peter Pearse
From: Peter Pearse @ 2007-03-12 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

> You are wrong. If the name of the function in the script is
> the same as the external application, the function will be
> executed, NOT the external application.
>
> Best Regards,
> -Aubrey

But it might be less confusing if the script function had a distinct and
unique name.....
e.g. ali_strip

Regards

Peter

* [U-Boot-Users] script to delete all trailing space
@ 2007-03-12 14:06       ` Aubrey Li
From: Aubrey Li @ 2007-03-12 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 3/12/07, Peter Pearse <peter.pearse@arm.com> wrote:

> > You are wrong. If the name of the function in the script is
> > the same as the external application, the function will be
> > executed, NOT the external application.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > -Aubrey
>
> But it might be less confusing if the script function had a distinct and
> unique name.....
> e.g. ali_strip

Sure, re-post the script.
#!/bin/sh
# delete all the trailing white space characters (SPACE and
# TAB) at the end of all the lines in a file
# Usage:
#|______./strip-trailing-space.sh files
#
# The script:
#
#  Copyright (C) 2007 Aubrey Li, All Rights Reserved.
#
#  This script is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
#  it under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2 as
#  published by the Free Software Foundation.
ali_strip()
{
|_______cp $1 $1~
|_______sed -e 's/\s\+$//' < $1~ > $1
}

for i in $*
do ali_strip $i
done

Best Regards,
-Aubrey

* [U-Boot-Users] script to delete all trailing space
@ 2007-03-12 16:36         ` Jon Loeliger
From: Jon Loeliger @ 2007-03-12 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 09:06, Aubrey Li wrote:

> Sure, re-post the script.

Folks,

So, there are a few things git provides that might help with
some of these issues.  The case of a line starting with a
space and followed by a tab can be identified, as well as
automatically stripping trailing whitespace from source lines.

You might investigate the "--check" options in "git apply"
or "git am", and you might investigate "--whitespace=strip"
as well.

HTH,
jdl

* [U-Boot-Users] script to delete all trailing space
@ 2007-03-12 16:52           ` Grant Likely
From: Grant Likely @ 2007-03-12 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 3/12/07, Jon Loeliger <jdl@freescale.com> wrote:
> You might investigate the "--check" options in "git apply"
> or "git am", and you might investigate "--whitespace=strip"
> as well.

IIRC, you can also use 'git-config apply.whitespace strip' to set this
option permanently for your local repo.

g.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc. P.Eng.
Secret Lab Technologies Ltd.
grant.likely at secretlab.ca
(403) 399-0195

* [U-Boot-Users] script to delete all trailing space
@ 2007-03-12 23:52 ` Timur Tabi
From: Timur Tabi @ 2007-03-12 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Aubrey Li wrote:
> Hi all Custodians,
>
> I'm suffering from coding style issues when I request a blackfin git
> pull to the upstream u-boot. Here I wrote a simple script(attached) to
> delete all the trailing space in the files. Hope it's useful for you
> and feel free to re-write it.

Why don't you just use a text editor that takes care of this problem for
you?

* [U-Boot-Users] script to delete all trailing space
@ 2007-03-13  0:26   ` Aubrey Li
From: Aubrey Li @ 2007-03-13  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 3/13/07, Timur Tabi <timur@freescale.com> wrote:
> Aubrey Li wrote:
> > Hi all Custodians,
> >
> > I'm suffering from coding style issues when I request a blackfin git
> > pull to the upstream u-boot. Here I wrote a simple script(attached) to
> > delete all the trailing space in the files. Hope it's useful for you
> > and feel free to re-write it.
>
> Why don't you just use a text editor that takes care of this problem for
> you?

Because there are a bunch of files need to be formated.

-Aubrey

* [U-Boot-Users] script to delete all trailing space
@ 2007-03-13  0:45     ` Grant Likely
From: Grant Likely @ 2007-03-13  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 3/12/07, Aubrey Li <aubrey.adi@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/13/07, Timur Tabi <timur@freescale.com> wrote:
> > Aubrey Li wrote:
> > > Hi all Custodians,
> > >
> > > I'm suffering from coding style issues when I request a blackfin git
> > > pull to the upstream u-boot. Here I wrote a simple script(attached) to
> > > delete all the trailing space in the files. Hope it's useful for you
> > > and feel free to re-write it.
> >
> > Why don't you just use a text editor that takes care of this problem for
> > you?
> >
> Because there are a bunch of files need to be formated.

BTW, there is already a script that takes care of %90 of all
whitespace issues.  Look at scripts/Lindent in the Linux source tree.

The only whitespace is won't fix is whitespace in comments.

Cheers,
g.

grant.likely at secretlab.ca
(403) 399-0195

* [U-Boot-Users] script to delete all trailing space
@ 2007-03-13  0:51           ` Aubrey Li
From: Aubrey Li @ 2007-03-13  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 3/13/07, Jon Loeliger <jdl@freescale.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 09:06, Aubrey Li wrote:
>
> > Sure, re-post the script.
>
> Folks,
>
> So, there are a few things git provides that might help with
> some of these issues.  The case of a line starting with a
> space and followed by a tab can be identified, as well as
> automatically stripping trailing whitespace from source lines.
>
> You might investigate the "--check" options in "git apply"
> or "git am", and you might investigate "--whitespace=strip"
> as well.

Could you please add this to the u-boot wiki?
http://www.denx.de/wiki/UBoot/CustodianGitTrees

Thanks,
-Aubrey

* [U-Boot-Users] script to delete all trailing space
@ 2007-03-13  2:49       ` Aubrey Li
From: Aubrey Li @ 2007-03-13  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 3/13/07, Grant Likely <grant.likely@secretlab.ca> wrote:

> On 3/12/07, Aubrey Li <aubrey.adi@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Why don't you just use a text editor that takes care of this problem
> for
> > > you?
> > >
> > Because there are a bunch of files need to be formated.
>
> BTW, there is already a script that takes care of %90 of all
> whitespace issues.  Look at scripts/Lindent in the Linux source tree.

Lindent can't deal with assemble file. And 90% is far away from enough. The
patch should match the u-boot coding style requirements 100%.

-Aubrey