* No serial output on a custom AM3352 board
@ 2021-03-29  7:43 tagliapietra.alessandro
From: tagliapietra.alessandro @ 2021-03-29  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-ti

Hello everyone,

first time yocto user here, I'm trying to get a very minimal image to boot on a AM3352 based device that a local company made, however when it boots there is no output on the serial port.

These are the steps I've tried:
- added meta-ti and dependent layers
- removed these features from the minimal image "alsa ext2 api-documentation bluetooth ipv6 opengl pcmcia ppp ptest wayland wifi x11 vulkan" as I don't think are needed for our basic test
- taken the dtb file from the manufacturer sd card, converted to dts using dtc, added to the kernel using a layer and changed KERNEL_DEVICETREE = "device-name-here.dtb"  (name replaced)
- I've cloned their SD card to make sure the partitions are the same (FAT16 first partition with boot flag + ext4 second partition)
- bitbake build
- replaced MLO/u-boot.img in the boot partition
- extracted rootfs into the ext4 partition, copied zImage and the dtb files in the /boot folder

I've also tried to use am335x-hs-evm as the machine (using also the UART variants of MLO and U-boot) but no luck.
In case it's needed, these are the env variables from their working SD card u-boot

https://gist.github.com/alex88/5e8d604ab15540b84353040a83bc0606

What should I try to at least be able to get u-boot to output something in the console?

Thank you in advance

* Re: [meta-ti] No serial output on a custom AM3352 board
@ 2021-03-29 18:42 ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2021-03-29 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tagliapietra.alessandro; +Cc: meta-ti

Just a follow up from our IRC discussion with more clarifications.

* This is an industrial board/product from a 3rd-party manufacturer, based on
AM3352 SoC. It's custom enough, as obviously EVM images don't boot.

* The manufacturer did not provide sources or instructions with the board,
only SD card binary images.

* Boot log from those images indicate U-boot 2014.07 and kernel 3.14.43, which
are quite ancient

Getting recent u-boot and kernel working on this board will require recreating
board configs and updating old DTS. Not sure mixing old u-boot with new kernel
is a good idea either - still need to massage DTS...

Maybe our BSP experts here can pitch in and comment on feasibility of this
effort. It's definitely not Yocto specific though.

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 12:43:09AM -0700, tagliapietra.alessandro@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> first time yocto user here, I'm trying to get a very minimal image to boot
> on a AM3352 based device that a local company made, however when it boots
> there is no output on the serial port.
>
> These are the steps I've tried:
> - added meta-ti and dependent layers
> - removed these features from the minimal image "alsa ext2 api-documentation
> bluetooth ipv6 opengl pcmcia ppp ptest wayland wifi x11 vulkan" as I don't
> think are needed for our basic test
> - taken the dtb file from the manufacturer sd card, converted to dts using
> dtc, added to the kernel using a layer and changed KERNEL_DEVICETREE =
> "device-name-here.dtb"  (name replaced)
> - I've cloned their SD card to make sure the partitions are the same (FAT16
> first partition with boot flag + ext4 second partition)
> - bitbake build
> - replaced MLO/u-boot.img in the boot partition
> - extracted rootfs into the ext4 partition, copied zImage and the dtb files
> in the /boot folder
>
> I've also tried to use am335x-hs-evm as the machine (using also the UART
> variants of MLO and U-boot) but no luck.
> In case it's needed, these are the env variables from their working SD card
> u-boot
>
> https://gist.github.com/alex88/5e8d604ab15540b84353040a83bc0606
>
> What should I try to at least be able to get u-boot to output something in the console?
>
> Thank you in advance

Denys Dmytriyenko <denis@denix.org>
PGP: 0x420902729A92C964 - https://denix.org/0x420902729A92C964
Fingerprint: 25FC E4A5 8A72 2F69 1186  6D76 4209 0272 9A92 C964

* Re: [meta-ti] No serial output on a custom AM3352 board
@ 2021-03-30  1:20   ` praneeth
From: praneeth @ 2021-03-30  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denys Dmytriyenko, tagliapietra.alessandro; +Cc: meta-ti, Bhargav, Krunal

On 3/29/2021 1:42 PM, Denys Dmytriyenko wrote:
> Just a follow up from our IRC discussion with more clarifications.
>
> * This is an industrial board/product from a 3rd-party manufacturer, based on
> AM3352 SoC. It's custom enough, as obviously EVM images don't boot.
>
> * The manufacturer did not provide sources or instructions with the board,
> only SD card binary images.
>
> * Boot log from those images indicate U-boot 2014.07 and kernel 3.14.43, which
> are quite ancient
>
> Getting recent u-boot and kernel working on this board will require recreating
> board configs and updating old DTS. Not sure mixing old u-boot with new kernel
> is a good idea either - still need to massage DTS...
>
> Maybe our BSP experts here can pitch in and comment on feasibility of this
> effort. It's definitely not Yocto specific though.
>

> On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 12:43:09AM -0700, tagliapietra.alessandro@gmail.com wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> first time yocto user here, I'm trying to get a very minimal image to boot
>> on a AM3352 based device that a local company made, however when it boots
>> there is no output on the serial port.
>>
>> These are the steps I've tried:
>> - added meta-ti and dependent layers
>> - removed these features from the minimal image "alsa ext2 api-documentation
>> bluetooth ipv6 opengl pcmcia ppp ptest wayland wifi x11 vulkan" as I don't
>> think are needed for our basic test
>> - taken the dtb file from the manufacturer sd card, converted to dts using
>> dtc, added to the kernel using a layer and changed KERNEL_DEVICETREE =
>> "device-name-here.dtb"  (name replaced)
>> - I've cloned their SD card to make sure the partitions are the same (FAT16
>> first partition with boot flag + ext4 second partition)
>> - bitbake build
>> - replaced MLO/u-boot.img in the boot partition
>> - extracted rootfs into the ext4 partition, copied zImage and the dtb files
>> in the /boot folder

The right place for this query is TI e2e . Please post your question
there for someone to help.

few related threads already in e2e addressing similar topic.

https://e2e.ti.com/support/processors/f/processors-forum/852197/am3358-u-boot-fails

https://e2e.ti.com/support/processors/f/processors-forum/945637/processor-sdk-am335x-how-to-boot-bone-black-over-uart

https://e2e.ti.com/support/processors/f/processors-forum/927764/am3352-start-u-boot-from-usd

Good luck