* Re: [poky] Suggestion on custom Package group implementation.
       [not found] <s8Y5.1654322530168412976.66S7@lists.yoctoproject.org>
@ 2022-06-06 15:04 ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2022-06-06 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rahul Chauhan, poky

On Fri, 2022-06-03 at 23:02 -0700, Rahul Chauhan wrote:
> Hi Team
>
> I need your suggestion on below implementation.
>
> packagegroup-protocol-base.bb
> ===================================
> RDEPENDS_${PN}-protocol-base = "\
> package1 \
> package2 \
> "
> ====================================
>
> packagegroup-custom-base.bb
> =====================================
> DESCRIPTION = "Custom base package group"
> LICENSE = "MIT"
> LIC_FILES_CHKSUM =
> "file://${COMMON_LICENSE_DIR}/MIT;md5=0aaabfe698e0bcf8506ecda2f7b4f30
> 2"
>
> PR = "r0"
>
> PACKAGE_ARCH = "${MACHINE_ARCH}"
>
> inherit packagegroup
>
> PROVIDES = "${PACKAGES}"
>

> PACKAGES += " \
>     ${@bb.utils.contains("DISTRO_FEATURES", "distro-feature-
> protocolA", "${PN}-protocolA", "", d)} \
>     ${@bb.utils.contains("DISTRO_FEATURES", "distro-feature-
> protocolB", "${PN}-protocolB", "", d)} \
> "
>
> RDEPENDS_${PN} = "\
>     ${@bb.utils.contains("DISTRO_FEATURES", "distro-feature-
> protocolA", "${PN}-protocolA", "", d)} \
>     ${@bb.utils.contains("DISTRO_FEATURES", "distro-feature-
> protocolB", "${PN}-protocolB", "", d)} \
> "
>
> RDEPENDS_${PN}-protocolA = "\
> packagegroup-protocol-base \
> package-3 \
> "
>
> RDEPENDS_${PN}-protocolB = "\
> packagegroup-protocol-base \
> package-4 \
> "

> =====================================
>

> custom-image.bb

> IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " \
>         packagegroup-custom-base \
> "

> bitbake custom-image
>

> there is some common package which is required for both protocolA and
> ProtocolB.
> So i included packagegroup-protocol-base in both RDEPENDS.
>

> But suppose if a devce using both protocolA and ProtocolB.
> in that case there will be a duplication of "packagegroup-protocol-
> base" but i am not facing any build issue.
>
> can anyone please explain me why this behavior?
> Is it problematic during runtime on target ?
> Is there any problem during packaging ?
> Is it correct implementation or any suggestion will helpful for me.

The issue is that you could never build a package feed that could
support both configurations. Bitbake is being "clever" and swapping the
packagegroup recipe and packages between the two configurations behind
the scenes for you.

Ideally you'd not rely on that behaviour but unless you use package
feeds, it probably doesn't show a direct issue to you.

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: Suggestion on custom Package group implementation.
@ 2022-06-08 12:41   ` Rahul Chauhan
From: Rahul Chauhan @ 2022-06-08 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: poky