* RE: [Qemu-devel] Planning for 0.13
@ 2010-01-06  8:41 Laurent Vivier
From: Laurent Vivier @ 2010-01-06  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aliguori, qemu-devel

>Hi,
>
>I hope everyone had a happy new year!  Now that we've finished the 0.12
>release and most of us have had a nice break, I think it's time to start
>planning for the next release.
>
>0.12 felt a bit rushed to me.  I'd like to take a bit more time with
>0.13 and try to complete features a bit more than we did in 0.12.  So I
>propose that we target 0.13 as a 6-month cycle and target a June 1st
>release.  Based on the -rc process for 0.12, I would like to have a two
>week -rc cycle for 0.13 but this time, absolutely no non-bug fixes past
>freeze.  We got sloppy in 0.12 with this and we had some ugly
>regressions in the final release.
>
>Here are the features that I'm aware of for 0.13.  Please add anything
>you're working on and I'll try to centralize this somewhere.
>
>  - gPXE support for virtio-blk

Do you think the work I did in december 2008 will be usefull for this ?

link: http://markmail.org/thread/qxqvcrzqitpzrsnb

>  - Helper based network setup
>  - Balloon driver statistics
>  - Fully supported QMP
>  - Live migration protocol support for subvendor versions (aka features)

Regards,
Laurent

--
--------------------- Laurent@vivier.eu  ---------------------
"Tout ce qui est impossible reste à accomplir"    Jules Verne

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Planning for 0.13
@ 2010-01-06 10:04 ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2010-01-06 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurent Vivier; +Cc: aliguori, gpxe, qemu-devel

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 8:41 AM, Laurent Vivier <Laurent@vivier.eu> wrote:
>>  - gPXE support for virtio-blk
>
> Do you think the work I did in december 2008 will be usefull for this ?
>
> link: http://markmail.org/thread/qxqvcrzqitpzrsnb

I don't know how I missed your patches.  They look very interesting :).

I recently (re)implemented the virtio-blk.c part and attached it to
gPXE's sanboot command:
http://www.mail-archive.com/gpxe@etherboot.org/msg00159.html

I'm going to check out your patches and see what we can merge into gPXE.

Stefan

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Planning for 0.13
@ 2010-02-09 14:50   ` Artyom Tarasenko
From: Artyom Tarasenko @ 2010-02-09 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Liguori; +Cc: Blue Swirl, qemu-devel

Hi Anthony,

> Here are the features that I'm aware of for 0.13.  Please add anything
> you're working on and I'll try to centralize this somewhere.
>
>  - gPXE support for virtio-blk
>  - Helper based network setup
>  - Balloon driver statistics
>  - Fully supported QMP
>  - Live migration protocol support for subvendor versions (aka features)

- Support for Solaris/sparc guest
Shouldn't be too hard. After my recent irq and mmu fixes Solaris
2.4-2.6 is already booting under the git/master. There are only few
issues with spurious interrupts (Slavio/Macio), going to track them
down.

Once it works under OBP, the missing functionality can be added to
OpenBIOS. There is already a good test case: NetBSD 1.3.3 fails under
OpenBIOS the same way as Solars does. But OpenBIOS release plan is
independent from qemu release plan anyway, right?

Artyom Tarasenko

solaris/sparc under qemu blog: http://tyom.blogspot.com/

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Planning for 0.13
@ 2010-01-12 15:07   ` Stefano Stabellini
From: Stefano Stabellini @ 2010-01-12 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pasi Kärkkäinen; +Cc: Anthony Liguori, Ian Jackson, qemu-devel

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 06:43:11AM -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I hope everyone had a happy new year!  Now that we've finished the 0.12
> > release and most of us have had a nice break, I think it's time to start
> > planning for the next release.
> >
> > 0.12 felt a bit rushed to me.  I'd like to take a bit more time with
> > 0.13 and try to complete features a bit more than we did in 0.12.  So I
> > propose that we target 0.13 as a 6-month cycle and target a June 1st
> > release.  Based on the -rc process for 0.12, I would like to have a two
> > week -rc cycle for 0.13 but this time, absolutely no non-bug fixes past
> > freeze.  We got sloppy in 0.12 with this and we had some ugly
> > regressions in the final release.
> >
> > Here are the features that I'm aware of for 0.13.  Please add anything
> > you're working on and I'll try to centralize this somewhere.
> >
> >  - gPXE support for virtio-blk
> >  - Helper based network setup
> >  - Balloon driver statistics
> >  - Fully supported QMP
> >  - Live migration protocol support for subvendor versions (aka features)
> >

> Hello,
>
> I think Xen folks were planning to push (some) Xen qemu-dm patches for upstream
> Qemu 0.13.
>
> Discussion here:
> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2010-01/msg00200.html

Yes, we are going to try to upstream Xen support in Qemu, hopefully
we'll finish in time for 0.13, but we just started the work so I don't
know yet for sure.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Planning for 0.13
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-01-12 13:43 ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2010-01-12 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Liguori; +Cc: Ian Jackson, qemu-devel

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 06:43:11AM -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I hope everyone had a happy new year!  Now that we've finished the 0.12
> release and most of us have had a nice break, I think it's time to start
> planning for the next release.
>
> 0.12 felt a bit rushed to me.  I'd like to take a bit more time with
> 0.13 and try to complete features a bit more than we did in 0.12.  So I
> propose that we target 0.13 as a 6-month cycle and target a June 1st
> release.  Based on the -rc process for 0.12, I would like to have a two
> week -rc cycle for 0.13 but this time, absolutely no non-bug fixes past
> freeze.  We got sloppy in 0.12 with this and we had some ugly
> regressions in the final release.
>
> Here are the features that I'm aware of for 0.13.  Please add anything
> you're working on and I'll try to centralize this somewhere.
>
>  - gPXE support for virtio-blk
>  - Helper based network setup
>  - Balloon driver statistics
>  - Fully supported QMP
>  - Live migration protocol support for subvendor versions (aka features)

Hello,

I think Xen folks were planning to push (some) Xen qemu-dm patches for upstream
Qemu 0.13.

Discussion here:
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2010-01/msg00200.html

-- Pasi

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Planning for 0.13
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-01-06 15:34 ` Adam Litke
From: Adam Litke @ 2010-01-06 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Liguori; +Cc: qemu-devel

On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 06:43 -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I hope everyone had a happy new year!  Now that we've finished the 0.12
> release and most of us have had a nice break, I think it's time to start
> planning for the next release.
>
> 0.12 felt a bit rushed to me.  I'd like to take a bit more time with
> 0.13 and try to complete features a bit more than we did in 0.12.  So I
> propose that we target 0.13 as a 6-month cycle and target a June 1st
> release.  Based on the -rc process for 0.12, I would like to have a two
> week -rc cycle for 0.13 but this time, absolutely no non-bug fixes past
> freeze.  We got sloppy in 0.12 with this and we had some ugly
> regressions in the final release.
>
> Here are the features that I'm aware of for 0.13.  Please add anything
> you're working on and I'll try to centralize this somewhere.

Port the -mem-path and -mem-prealloc options from qemu-kvm.
virtio-balloon enhancements for -mem-path enabled VMs.

Adam

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Planning for 0.13
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-01-06  9:37 ` Gerd Hoffmann
From: Gerd Hoffmann @ 2010-01-06  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Liguori; +Cc: qemu-devel

On 01/05/10 13:43, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> - gPXE support for virtio-blk

likewise for lsi, not sure how hard this is though.
maybe figuring something sane way to extboot is easier.

> - Helper based network setup
> - Balloon driver statistics
> - Fully supported QMP
> - Live migration protocol support for subvendor versions (aka features)

- qdev conversion continued.
- scsi needs some more love, megasas driver.
- p35 + pcie.

cheers,
   Gerd

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Planning for 0.13
@ 2010-01-06  2:46 ` Roy Tam
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Roy Tam @ 2010-01-06  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Liguori; +Cc: qemu-devel

2010/1/5 Anthony Liguori <aliguori@linux.vnet.ibm.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I hope everyone had a happy new year!  Now that we've finished the 0.12
> release and most of us have had a nice break, I think it's time to start
> planning for the next release.
>
> 0.12 felt a bit rushed to me.  I'd like to take a bit more time with 0.13
> and try to complete features a bit more than we did in 0.12.  So I propose
> that we target 0.13 as a 6-month cycle and target a June 1st release.  Based
> on the -rc process for 0.12, I would like to have a two week -rc cycle for
> 0.13 but this time, absolutely no non-bug fixes past freeze.  We got sloppy
> in 0.12 with this and we had some ugly regressions in the final release.
>
> Here are the features that I'm aware of for 0.13.  Please add anything
> you're working on and I'll try to centralize this somewhere.
>
>  - gPXE support for virtio-blk
>  - Helper based network setup
>  - Balloon driver statistics
>  - Fully supported QMP
>  - Live migration protocol support for subvendor versions (aka features)

for me,
- NEC PC-9821 support
hope Mr. Takeda can improve his patch set and push it to git head
before 0.13 release.

> Regards,
>
> Anthony Liguori

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Planning for 0.13
@ 2010-01-05 22:31 ` Aurelien Jarno
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Aurelien Jarno @ 2010-01-05 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Liguori; +Cc: qemu-devel

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 06:43:11AM -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I hope everyone had a happy new year!  Now that we've finished the 0.12
> release and most of us have had a nice break, I think it's time to start
> planning for the next release.
>
> 0.12 felt a bit rushed to me.  I'd like to take a bit more time with
> 0.13 and try to complete features a bit more than we did in 0.12.  So I
> propose that we target 0.13 as a 6-month cycle and target a June 1st
> release.  Based on the -rc process for 0.12, I would like to have a two
> week -rc cycle for 0.13 but this time, absolutely no non-bug fixes past
> freeze.  We got sloppy in 0.12 with this and we had some ugly
> regressions in the final release.
>
> Here are the features that I'm aware of for 0.13.  Please add anything
> you're working on and I'll try to centralize this somewhere.
>
>  - gPXE support for virtio-blk
>  - Helper based network setup
>  - Balloon driver statistics
>  - Fully supported QMP
>  - Live migration protocol support for subvendor versions (aka features)

   - TCG IA64 support. I have something mostly working in system mode,
     so it should not be a problem for June.

--
Aurelien Jarno	                        GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Planning for 0.13
@ 2010-01-05 20:50 ` Stefan Weil
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Stefan Weil @ 2010-01-05 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Liguori; +Cc: qemu-devel

Anthony Liguori schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I hope everyone had a happy new year!  Now that we've finished the
> 0.12 release and most of us have had a nice break, I think it's time
> to start planning for the next release.
>
> 0.12 felt a bit rushed to me.  I'd like to take a bit more time with
> 0.13 and try to complete features a bit more than we did in 0.12.  So
> I propose that we target 0.13 as a 6-month cycle and target a June 1st
> release.  Based on the -rc process for 0.12, I would like to have a
> two week -rc cycle for 0.13 but this time, absolutely no non-bug fixes
> past freeze.  We got sloppy in 0.12 with this and we had some ugly
> regressions in the final release.
>
> Here are the features that I'm aware of for 0.13.  Please add anything
> you're working on and I'll try to centralize this somewhere.
>
>  - gPXE support for virtio-blk
>  - Helper based network setup
>  - Balloon driver statistics
>  - Fully supported QMP
>  - Live migration protocol support for subvendor versions (aka features)
>
> Regards,
>
> Anthony Liguori

I hope you enjoyed your break and had a happy new year, too.

Here are some features I had been working on which
could be integrated in 0.13:

- eepro100 fixes (high priority because needed by many users)
- tcg interpreter (medium priority because it extends the range
  of supported hosts)
- installer for windows (I'm afraid that windows priority is low
  because nobody loves it very much)

The code for these features is available here:
http://repo.or.cz/w/qemu/ar7.git.

Regards,

Stefan Weil

* [Qemu-devel] Planning for 0.13