* Confusion regarding subtree-push docs
@ 2020-03-22 17:57 Jason Karns
From: Jason Karns @ 2020-03-22 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

I found some of git-subtree-push’s behavior confusing as it pertains to the docs. (Using git version 2.25.1)

The docs for subtree-push state: (https://github.com/git/git/blob/master/contrib/subtree/git-subtree.txt)

>  Does a 'split' (see below) using the <prefix> supplied and then does a 'git push' to push the result to the repository and ref.

As I understood this, I expected push to do a split “under the covers”. As such, I expected the relevant `split` options to be respected by push as well. In particular, I expected —annotate to modify the split+push commits with the corresponding prefix. Additionally, I expected subtree-push to also respect —rejoin and merge back into HEAD.

I think the docs as they are written are a bit misleading; or perhaps the docs are accurate and this is a bug with subtree-push? The former is more likely, so I assume the docs should be rephrased to make this clear. (Unless the docs are accurate and this is a bug with subtree-push.)

Regards,
Jason

only message in thread, other threads:[~2020-03-22 17:57 UTC | newest]