* r8169 needs CONFIG_REALTEK_PHY
@ 2018-08-20 19:44 Marc Dionne
From: Marc Dionne @ 2018-08-20 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hkallweit1, netdev, David Miller

The r8169 adapter in one of my machines was not working after updating
to a current kernel from the merge window, which was fixed by enabling
CONFIG_REALTEK_PHY.

So in addition to "select PHYLIB", should CONFIG_R8169 not also be
doing "select CONFIG_REALTEK_PHY" ?

Marc

* Re: r8169 needs CONFIG_REALTEK_PHY
@ 2018-08-20 20:38 ` Heiner Kallweit
From: Heiner Kallweit @ 2018-08-20 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Dionne, netdev, David Miller

On 20.08.2018 21:44, Marc Dionne wrote:
> The r8169 adapter in one of my machines was not working after updating
> to a current kernel from the merge window, which was fixed by enabling
> CONFIG_REALTEK_PHY.
>
> So in addition to "select PHYLIB", should CONFIG_R8169 not also be
> doing "select CONFIG_REALTEK_PHY" ?

This fix was applied already and is included in latest linux-next.
bfdd19ad80f2 ("r8169: add missing Kconfig dependency")

@ 2018-08-20 20:39 ` Florian Fainelli
From: Florian Fainelli @ 2018-08-20 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Dionne, hkallweit1, netdev, David Miller

On 08/20/2018 12:44 PM, Marc Dionne wrote:
> The r8169 adapter in one of my machines was not working after updating
> to a current kernel from the merge window, which was fixed by enabling
> CONFIG_REALTEK_PHY.
>
> So in addition to "select PHYLIB", should CONFIG_R8169 not also be
> doing "select CONFIG_REALTEK_PHY" ?

This is fixed in Linus' tree now with:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=bfdd19ad80f203f42f05fd32a31c678c9c524ef9
--
Florian

* Re: r8169 needs CONFIG_REALTEK_PHY
@ 2018-08-20 23:33   ` Marc Dionne
From: Marc Dionne @ 2018-08-20 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Fainelli; +Cc: hkallweit1, netdev, David Miller

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 5:39 PM, Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/20/2018 12:44 PM, Marc Dionne wrote:
>> The r8169 adapter in one of my machines was not working after updating
>> to a current kernel from the merge window, which was fixed by enabling
>> CONFIG_REALTEK_PHY.
>>
>> So in addition to "select PHYLIB", should CONFIG_R8169 not also be
>> doing "select CONFIG_REALTEK_PHY" ?
>
> This is fixed in Linus' tree now with:
>
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=bfdd19ad80f203f42f05fd32a31c678c9c524ef9
> --
> Florian

Ah thanks for the quick reply, thought I had done a fresh pull before
reporting the problem; it is indeed fixed in Linus' current tree.

Sorry for the noise,
Marc