* Display mode
@ 2013-01-22  6:20 Trung Hoang
From: Trung Hoang @ 2013-01-22  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bitbake-devel

The current git HEAD of bit bake nicely displays the x threads and what is happening on them instead of constantly scrolling in detail what is exactly happening.

Is this feature configurable? How do i enable it on older versions of bitbake? As the gumstix setup scripts check out a older version of bit bake and it displays reams and reams of info.

* Re: Display mode
@ 2013-01-22 16:37 ` Trevor Woerner
From: Trevor Woerner @ 2013-01-22 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trung Hoang; +Cc: bitbake-devel

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 1:20 AM, Trung Hoang <trungiee@gmail.com> wrote:
> The current git HEAD of bit bake nicely displays the x threads and what is happening on them instead of constantly scrolling in detail what is exactly happening.

This feature is called "knotty".

> Is this feature configurable? How do i enable it on older versions of bitbake? As the gumstix setup scripts check out a older version of bit bake and it displays reams and reams of info.

Knotty was added this past... August (?) (or, perhaps it is more
correct to say "it was made the default" this past August?). So making
it work on older versions would require back-porting it to those
versions.

* Re: Display mode
@ 2013-01-22 16:41   ` Chris Larson
From: Chris Larson @ 2013-01-22 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trevor Woerner; +Cc: bitbake-devel

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 9:37 AM, Trevor Woerner <twoerner@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 1:20 AM, Trung Hoang <trungiee@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The current git HEAD of bit bake nicely displays the x threads and what
> is happening on them instead of constantly scrolling in detail what is
> exactly happening.
>
> This feature is called "knotty".

No, the knotty UI is the default bitbake UI, and has been for years, even
before this feature was added to it. The new display was initially checked
in as 'knotty2' rather than the default knotty, and eventually knotty2 was
merged back into the default knotty UI.
--
Christopher Larson

* Re: Display mode
@ 2013-01-22 16:47   ` Mark Hatle
From: Mark Hatle @ 2013-01-22 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bitbake-devel

On 1/22/13 10:37 AM, Trevor Woerner wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 1:20 AM, Trung Hoang <trungiee@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The current git HEAD of bit bake nicely displays the x threads and what is happening on them instead of constantly scrolling in detail what is exactly happening.
>
> This feature is called "knotty".
>
>> Is this feature configurable? How do i enable it on older versions of bitbake? As the gumstix setup scripts check out a older version of bit bake and it displays reams and reams of info.
>
> Knotty was added this past... August (?) (or, perhaps it is more
> correct to say "it was made the default" this past August?). So making
> it work on older versions would require back-porting it to those
> versions.

"In general", newer versions of bitbake work with older systems.  There is one
main condition where this can be problematic however.  There was a period of
time where, in python functions, tabs were all converted to spaces.  So code is
in bitbake to check for this condition.

If you try to use a modern bitbake with an older system that still has tabs, you
can get failures.

Note, it does require testing to verify that the newer bitbake will work on an
older configuration, but it has in my experience.

--Mark

* Re: Display mode
@ 2013-01-22 17:34     ` Trevor Woerner
From: Trevor Woerner @ 2013-01-22 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Larson; +Cc: bitbake-devel

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 11:41 AM, Chris Larson <clarson@kergoth.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 9:37 AM, Trevor Woerner <twoerner@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This feature is called "knotty".
>
> No, the knotty UI is the default bitbake UI, and has been for years, even
> before this feature was added to it. The new display was initially checked
> in as 'knotty2' rather than the default knotty, and eventually knotty2 was
> merged back into the default knotty UI.

Ah yes I see. It was wrong of me to call it knotty because the feature
to which Trung was referring is now currently known as... knotty? ;-)

Haha, I'm just teasing. Thanks for the clarification :-)

* Re: Display mode
@ 2013-01-22 22:21     ` Trung Hoang
From: Trung Hoang @ 2013-01-22 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bitbake-devel

Ahh yes, Knotty2 rocks!

For those who don't get this by default, i did this..

`bitbake -u knotty2 gumstix-console-image'

I do notice that sometimes the "Running task 3160 of 3162 …" does get buggy.. Instead of updating that line it makes a new line so i end up with…

Running task 3160 of 3162..
Running task 3161 of 3162..
Running task 3162 of 3162…
0: …

On 23/01/2013, at 3:47 AM, Mark Hatle <mark.hatle@windriver.com> wrote:

> On 1/22/13 10:37 AM, Trevor Woerner wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 1:20 AM, Trung Hoang <trungiee@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The current git HEAD of bit bake nicely displays the x threads and what is happening on them instead of constantly scrolling in detail what is exactly happening.
>>
>> This feature is called "knotty".
>>
>>> Is this feature configurable? How do i enable it on older versions of bitbake? As the gumstix setup scripts check out a older version of bit bake and it displays reams and reams of info.
>>
>> Knotty was added this past... August (?) (or, perhaps it is more
>> correct to say "it was made the default" this past August?). So making
>> it work on older versions would require back-porting it to those
>> versions.
>
> "In general", newer versions of bitbake work with older systems.  There is one main condition where this can be problematic however.  There was a period of time where, in python functions, tabs were all converted to spaces.  So code is in bitbake to check for this condition.
>
> If you try to use a modern bitbake with an older system that still has tabs, you can get failures.
>
> Note, it does require testing to verify that the newer bitbake will work on an older configuration, but it has in my experience.
>
> --Mark

* Re: Display mode
@ 2013-01-23 12:13       ` Jason Wessel
From: Jason Wessel @ 2013-01-23 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trung Hoang; +Cc: bitbake-devel

On 01/22/2013 04:21 PM, Trung Hoang wrote:
> Ahh yes, Knotty2 rocks!
>
> For those who don't get this by default, i did this..
>
> `bitbake -u knotty2 gumstix-console-image'
>
> I do notice that sometimes the "Running task 3160 of 3162 …" does get buggy.. Instead of updating that line it makes a new line so i end up with…
>
> Running task 3160 of 3162..
> Running task 3161 of 3162..
> Running task 3162 of 3162…
> 0: …

I submitted a pile of fixes to knotty2 around the time it was made the default to fix this problem and a number of others (such as resizing your terminal window while building).  The particular problem you see is caused by not reading the terminal size and computing when lines are going to wrap.   If you are seeing this behavior with the bitbake master branch please send a report.

Jason.

* Re: Display mode
@ 2013-01-23 15:20       ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2013-01-23 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trung Hoang; +Cc: bitbake-devel

On Wed, 2013-01-23 at 09:21 +1100, Trung Hoang wrote:
> Ahh yes, Knotty2 rocks!
>
> For those who don't get this by default, i did this..
>
> `bitbake -u knotty2 gumstix-console-image'
>
> I do notice that sometimes the "Running task 3160 of 3162 …" does get buggy.. Instead of updating that line it makes a new line so i end up with…
>
> Running task 3160 of 3162..
> Running task 3161 of 3162..
> Running task 3162 of 3162…
> 0: …

There were bug fixes made before it became the default and was merged
back to "knotty" which fixed some of those issues.

Cheers,

Richard