* [Buildroot] aarch64 + armhf multiarch support?
@ 2018-02-08 10:12 Jens Maus
From: Jens Maus @ 2018-02-08 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

I am maintaining a buildroot environment for several ARM embedded boards. They are currently exclusively pure ?armhf? platforms. However, I am currently evaluating to support also the ODROIDC2 which has a 64bit ARM processor (ARMv8) and the buildroot images are thus generated for the aarch64 platform. The problem I am currently facing is that I have several dependencies in my buildroot environment which requires that armhf binaries have to also work properly without any possibilities to recompile them for aarch64. I was therefore looking at possibilities in buildroot to enable multiarch support like other environments (e.g. Debian) support. However, I wasn?t successful in finding any possibilities in specifying that in addition to primarily setup buildroot for aarch64 I can also run armhf binaries out-of-the-box. Already when running through all packages (including my own external package) buildroot recognizes that there are binaries not being compiled for the aarch64 platform and thus cancels the build.

So is there any possibility to configure buildroot as a multiarch environment where the build process then automatically creates all necessary armhf dependencies (e.g. libc) for the armhf platform and install it properly so that armhf binaries run out-of-the-box on a aarch64 buildroot build?

best regards,
jens
--
Jens Maus, Dresden/Germany
http://jens-maus.de/

*** Content is authentic only with digital signature  ***

* [Buildroot] aarch64 + armhf multiarch support?
@ 2018-02-08 11:05 ` daggs
From: daggs @ 2018-02-08 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Greetings Jens,

> Hi,
>
> I am maintaining a buildroot environment for several ARM embedded boards. They are currently exclusively pure ?armhf? platforms. However, I am currently evaluating to support also the ODROIDC2 which has a 64bit ARM processor (ARMv8) and the buildroot images are thus generated for the aarch64 platform. The problem I am currently facing is that I have several dependencies in my buildroot environment which requires that armhf binaries have to also work properly without any possibilities to recompile them for aarch64. I was therefore looking at possibilities in buildroot to enable multiarch support like other environments (e.g. Debian) support. However, I wasn?t successful in finding any possibilities in specifying that in addition to primarily setup buildroot for aarch64 I can also run armhf binaries out-of-the-box. Already when running through all packages (including my own external package) buildroot recognizes that there are binaries not being compiled for the aarch64 platform and thus cancels the build.
>
> So is there any possibility to configure buildroot as a multiarch environment where the build process then automatically creates all necessary armhf dependencies (e.g. libc) for the armhf platform and install it properly so that armhf binaries run out-of-the-box on a aarch64 buildroot build?
>
> best regards,
> jens
> --
> Jens Maus, Dresden/Germany
> http://jens-maus.de/
>
> *** Content is authentic only with digital signature  ***

what are you needs from the env? will headless buildroot works for you?

Dagg.

* [Buildroot] aarch64 + armhf multiarch support?
@ 2018-02-08 11:08   ` Jens Maus
From: Jens Maus @ 2018-02-08 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Dagg,

> Am 08.02.2018 um 12:05 schrieb daggs <daggs@gmx.com>:
>
> Greetings Jens,
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I am maintaining a buildroot environment for several ARM embedded boards. They are currently exclusively pure ?armhf? platforms. However, I am currently evaluating to support also the ODROIDC2 which has a 64bit ARM processor (ARMv8) and the buildroot images are thus generated for the aarch64 platform. The problem I am currently facing is that I have several dependencies in my buildroot environment which requires that armhf binaries have to also work properly without any possibilities to recompile them for aarch64. I was therefore looking at possibilities in buildroot to enable multiarch support like other environments (e.g. Debian) support. However, I wasn?t successful in finding any possibilities in specifying that in addition to primarily setup buildroot for aarch64 I can also run armhf binaries out-of-the-box. Already when running through all packages (including my own external package) buildroot recognizes that there are binaries not being compiled for the aarch64 platform and thus cancels the build.
>>
>> So is there any possibility to configure buildroot as a multiarch environment where the build process then automatically creates all necessary armhf dependencies (e.g. libc) for the armhf platform and install it properly so that armhf binaries run out-of-the-box on a aarch64 buildroot build?
>
> what are you needs from the env? will headless buildroot works for you?

at least I don?t need X11 or any GPU stuff, but a pure console would be great (for debugging reasons). And if this is also not possible a complete headless buildroot would also be ok.

regards,
jens
--

@ 2018-02-08 11:36     ` daggs
From: daggs @ 2018-02-08 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Greetings Jens,

> Hi Dagg,
>
> > Am 08.02.2018 um 12:05 schrieb daggs <daggs@gmx.com>:
> >
> > Greetings Jens,
> >

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am maintaining a buildroot environment for several ARM embedded boards. They are currently exclusively pure ?armhf? platforms. However, I am currently evaluating to support also the ODROIDC2 which has a 64bit ARM processor (ARMv8) and the buildroot images are thus generated for the aarch64 platform. The problem I am currently facing is that I have several dependencies in my buildroot environment which requires that armhf binaries have to also work properly without any possibilities to recompile them for aarch64. I was therefore looking at possibilities in buildroot to enable multiarch support like other environments (e.g. Debian) support. However, I wasn?t successful in finding any possibilities in specifying that in addition to primarily setup buildroot for aarch64 I can also run armhf binaries out-of-the-box. Already when running through all packages (including my own external package) buildroot recognizes that there are binaries not being compiled for the aarch64 platform and thus cancels the build.
> >>
> >> So is there any possibility to configure buildroot as a multiarch environment where the build process then automatically creates all necessary armhf dependencies (e.g. libc) for the armhf platform and install it properly so that armhf binaries run out-of-the-box on a aarch64 buildroot build?
> >
> > what are you needs from the env? will headless buildroot works for you?
>
> at least I don?t need X11 or any GPU stuff, but a pure console would be great (for debugging reasons). And if this is also not possible a complete headless buildroot would also be ok.
>
> regards,
> jens
> --
> Jens Maus, Dresden/Germany
> http://jens-maus.de/

ok, currently in buildroot there is no possibility to build a odroid c2 based 32 big image because the vendor didn't implemented some of the opcode in u-boot.
however, I've posted a bunch of patches 2 months ago which introduce mainline kernel (4.14.x) and mainline uboot (2017.07) support for this board.
you might be able to build a 32 bit image using these patches.

imho it worth looking into it.

Dagg.

* [Buildroot] aarch64 + armhf multiarch support?
@ 2018-02-08 11:58       ` Jens Maus
From: Jens Maus @ 2018-02-08 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

>>> what are you needs from the env? will headless buildroot works for you?
>>
>> at least I don?t need X11 or any GPU stuff, but a pure console would be great (for debugging reasons). And if this is also not possible a complete headless buildroot would also be ok.
>>
>> regards,
>> jens
>> --
>> Jens Maus, Dresden/Germany
>> http://jens-maus.de/
>
> ok, currently in buildroot there is no possibility to build a odroid c2 based 32 big image because the vendor didn't implemented some of the opcode in u-boot.
> however, I've posted a bunch of patches 2 months ago which introduce mainline kernel (4.14.x) and mainline uboot (2017.07) support for this board.
> you might be able to build a 32 bit image using these patches.
>
> imho it worth looking into it.

Would you mind sharing a link with me pointing to the corresponding patches? That would be great.

regards,

jens
--

@ 2018-02-08 12:07         ` daggs
From: daggs @ 2018-02-08 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Greetings Jens,

> >> at least I don?t need X11 or any GPU stuff, but a pure console would be great (for debugging reasons). And if this is also not possible a complete headless buildroot would also be ok.
> >>
> >> regards,
> >> jens
> >> --
> >> Jens Maus, Dresden/Germany
> >> http://jens-maus.de/
> >
> > ok, currently in buildroot there is no possibility to build a odroid c2 based 32 big image because the vendor didn't implemented some of the opcode in u-boot.
> > however, I've posted a bunch of patches 2 months ago which introduce mainline kernel (4.14.x) and mainline uboot (2017.07) support for this board.
> > you might be able to build a 32 bit image using these patches.
> >
> > imho it worth looking into it.
>
> Would you mind sharing a link with me pointing to the corresponding patches? That would be great.
>
> regards,
>
> jens

sure, see: https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/buildroot/list/?submitter=69054

* [Buildroot] aarch64 + armhf multiarch support?
@ 2018-02-09  9:55           ` Jens Maus
From: Jens Maus @ 2018-02-09  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Dagg,

> Am 08.02.2018 um 13:07 schrieb daggs <daggs@gmx.com>:
>
>>> Am 08.02.2018 um 12:36 schrieb daggs <daggs@gmx.com>:
>>>
>>> ok, currently in buildroot there is no possibility to build a odroid c2 based 32 big image because the vendor didn't implemented some of the opcode in u-boot.
>>> however, I've posted a bunch of patches 2 months ago which introduce mainline kernel (4.14.x) and mainline uboot (2017.07) support for this board.
>>> you might be able to build a 32 bit image using these patches.
>>>
>>> imho it worth looking into it.
>>
>> Would you mind sharing a link with me pointing to the corresponding patches? That would be great.
>
> sure, see: https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/buildroot/list/?submitter=69054

Thanks for the link. I just integrated these patches into my buildroot environment and reconfigured the odroidc2 defconfig to build for BR2_arm=y and BR2_cortex_a53=y instead of aarch64. The results suggest, however, that uboot is not able to build for the odroidc2 with armhf only:

? cut here ?
  CHK     include/config.h
  CFG     u-boot.cfg
cc1: warning: unknown register name: x18
  HOSTLD  tools/dumpimage
  HOSTLD  tools/mkimage
  CC      arch/arm/mach-meson/board.o
  CC      board/amlogic/odroid-c2/odroid-c2.o
  CC      arch/arm/cpu/armv8/cpu.o
cc1: warning: unknown register name: x18
cc1: warning: unknown register name: x18
cc1: warning: unknown register name: x18
In file included from ./arch/arm/include/asm/bitops.h:193:0,
                 from include/linux/bitops.h:124,
                 from include/common.h:25,
                 from board/amlogic/odroid-c2/odroid-c2.c:7:
include/asm-generic/bitops/__fls.h: In function ?__fls?:
include/asm-generic/bitops/__fls.h:17:21: warning: left shift count >= width of type [-Wshift-count-overflow]
  if (!(word & (~0ul << 32))) {
[?]
In file included from include/common.h:97:0,
                 from board/amlogic/odroid-c2/odroid-c2.c:7:
include/dm/of.h: At top level:
./arch/arm/include/asm/global_data.h:107:58: error: invalid register name for ?gd?
 #define DECLARE_GLOBAL_DATA_PTR  register volatile gd_t *gd asm (?x18?)
? cut here ?

To me this looks like U-Boot is not able to be built for the odroidc2 using only a armhf compiler. Or are there any u-boot defconfig changes I could try and hopefully see a 32bit build for the odroidc2?

Apart from that, are there really no possibilities to build a multiarch (aarch64+armhf) buildroot environment that allows to run 64bit and 32bit binaries@the same time? Or am I missing something?

regards,
jens
--

@ 2018-02-09 12:29             ` daggs
From: daggs @ 2018-02-09 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Greetings Jens,

> Hi Dagg,

> >> Would you mind sharing a link with me pointing to the corresponding patches? That would be great.
> >
> > sure, see: https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/buildroot/list/?submitter=69054
>
> Thanks for the link. I just integrated these patches into my buildroot environment and reconfigured the odroidc2 defconfig to build for BR2_arm=y and BR2_cortex_a53=y instead of aarch64. The results suggest, however, that uboot is not able to build for the odroidc2 with armhf only:
>
> ? cut here ?
>   CHK     include/config.h
>   CFG     u-boot.cfg
> cc1: warning: unknown register name: x18
>   HOSTLD  tools/dumpimage
>   HOSTLD  tools/mkimage
>   CC      arch/arm/mach-meson/board.o
>   CC      board/amlogic/odroid-c2/odroid-c2.o
>   CC      arch/arm/cpu/armv8/cpu.o
> cc1: warning: unknown register name: x18
> cc1: warning: unknown register name: x18
> cc1: warning: unknown register name: x18
> In file included from ./arch/arm/include/asm/bitops.h:193:0,
>                  from include/linux/bitops.h:124,
>                  from include/common.h:25,
>                  from board/amlogic/odroid-c2/odroid-c2.c:7:
> include/asm-generic/bitops/__fls.h: In function ?__fls?:
> include/asm-generic/bitops/__fls.h:17:21: warning: left shift count >= width of type [-Wshift-count-overflow]
>   if (!(word & (~0ul << 32))) {
> [?]
> In file included from include/common.h:97:0,
>                  from board/amlogic/odroid-c2/odroid-c2.c:7:
> include/dm/of.h: At top level:
> ./arch/arm/include/asm/global_data.h:107:58: error: invalid register name for ?gd?
>  #define DECLARE_GLOBAL_DATA_PTR  register volatile gd_t *gd asm (?x18?)
> ? cut here ?
>
> To me this looks like U-Boot is not able to be built for the odroidc2 using only a armhf compiler. Or are there any u-boot defconfig changes I could try and hopefully see a 32bit build for the odroidc2?
>
> Apart from that, are there really no possibilities to build a multiarch (aarch64+armhf) buildroot environment that allows to run 64bit and 32bit binaries at the same time? Or am I missing something?
>
> regards,
> jens

sorry it didn't helped you, I wonder, can you compile the 32 bit bins yourself? if so why not compile the bins you need statically, place it on a nfs server, mount it on the c2 boards and run the bins? will that work for you?

Dagg.

* [Buildroot] aarch64 + armhf multiarch support?
@ 2018-02-09 13:02               ` Jens Maus
       [not found]                 ` <CAGt4E5uxjDVhkxrneDbP4ip_fVT11DhduKsiiXLbENKnSB9huw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Jens Maus @ 2018-02-09 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Dagg,

> Am 09.02.2018 um 13:29 schrieb daggs <daggs@gmx.com>:
>
>> Apart from that, are there really no possibilities to build a multiarch (aarch64+armhf) buildroot environment that allows to run 64bit and 32bit binaries at the same time? Or am I missing something?
>
> sorry it didn't helped you, I wonder, can you compile the 32 bit bins yourself? if so why not compile the bins you need statically, place it on a nfs server, mount it on the c2 boards and run the bins? will that work for you?

No, I can?t compile the 32bit bins myself as they are closed source. The point is really that it would be great if buildroot could be setup to support 64bit compilation (aarch64) with multiarch support so that 32bit libraries (libc, etc.) are automatically in place that 32bit binaries (armhf) will run out-of-the-box. Does anyone know how much effort it would take to add such multiarch support into buildroot and where to start implementing it in a nice and proper way?

regards,
jens
--

@ 2018-02-09 19:35                   ` Jens Maus
From: Jens Maus @ 2018-02-09 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

> Am 09.02.2018 um 19:01 schrieb Markus Mayer <markus.mayer@broadcom.com>:
>
>> On 9 February 2018 at 05:02, Jens Maus <mail@jens-maus.de> wrote:
>> Hi Dagg,

>>> sorry it didn't helped you, I wonder, can you compile the 32 bit bins yourself? if so why not compile the bins you need statically, place it on a nfs server, mount it on the c2 boards and run the bins? will that work for you?
>>
>> No, I can?t compile the 32bit bins myself as they are closed source. The point is really that it would be great if buildroot could be setup to support 64bit compilation (aarch64) with multiarch support so that 32bit libraries (libc, etc.) are automatically in place that 32bit binaries (armhf) will run out-of-the-box. Does anyone know how much effort it would take to add such multiarch support into buildroot and where to start implementing it in a nice and proper way?
>
> I had to solve this issue recently, since we just recently switched to
> buildroot in our division. The reason we needed to be able to run
> aarch32 binaries on aarch64 builds was the same as yours: 32-bit
> binaries that can't be re-compiled and that need to be available on
> 64-bit builds.
>
> The good news is that it works now. The bad news that it likely can't
> be incorporated upstream unmodified.
>
> The result can be seen here. Unfortunately, this doesn't break out my
> changes specifically, which makes it not all that helpful.
>
> https://github.com/Broadcom/stblinux-4.9/tree/master/buildroot
>
> I'll see if I can publish a tree where my changes haven't been all
> squashed together.

Indeed. It really would be helpful if you could at least point your finger at the changes as I am really curious how you actually solved that problem an implemented multiarch support. Best would be, of course, a diff file with your changes against upstream buildroot.

Regards,
Jens

* [Buildroot] aarch64 + armhf multiarch support?
@ 2018-02-10 11:35                     ` daggs
From: daggs @ 2018-02-10 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Greetings Jens,

> > Am 09.02.2018 um 19:01 schrieb Markus Mayer <markus.mayer@broadcom.com>:
> >
> >> On 9 February 2018 at 05:02, Jens Maus <mail@jens-maus.de> wrote:
> >> Hi Dagg,

> >> No, I can?t compile the 32bit bins myself as they are closed source. The point is really that it would be great if buildroot could be setup to support 64bit compilation (aarch64) with multiarch support so that 32bit libraries (libc, etc.) are automatically in place that 32bit binaries (armhf) will run out-of-the-box. Does anyone know how much effort it would take to add such multiarch support into buildroot and where to start implementing it in a nice and proper way?
> >
> > I had to solve this issue recently, since we just recently switched to
> > buildroot in our division. The reason we needed to be able to run
> > aarch32 binaries on aarch64 builds was the same as yours: 32-bit
> > binaries that can't be re-compiled and that need to be available on
> > 64-bit builds.
> >
> > The good news is that it works now. The bad news that it likely can't
> > be incorporated upstream unmodified.
> >
> > The result can be seen here. Unfortunately, this doesn't break out my
> > changes specifically, which makes it not all that helpful.
> >
> > https://github.com/Broadcom/stblinux-4.9/tree/master/buildroot
> >
> > I'll see if I can publish a tree where my changes haven't been all
> > squashed together.
>
> Indeed. It really would be helpful if you could at least point your finger at the changes as I am really curious how you actually solved that problem an implemented multiarch support. Best would be, of course, a diff file with your changes against upstream buildroot.
>
> Regards,
> Jens

if you are not locked upon buildroot env, take a look at https://www.armbian.com/odroid-c2/
from what I can understand it will allow you to run 32bit applications on an 64 bit env.

Dagg.

* [Buildroot] aarch64 + armhf multiarch support?
@ 2018-02-10 11:56                       ` Jens Maus
From: Jens Maus @ 2018-02-10 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Dagg,

> Am 10.02.2018 um 12:35 schrieb daggs <daggs@gmx.com>:
>
> Greetings Jens,

>>> I had to solve this issue recently, since we just recently switched to
>>> buildroot in our division. The reason we needed to be able to run
>>> aarch32 binaries on aarch64 builds was the same as yours: 32-bit
>>> binaries that can't be re-compiled and that need to be available on
>>> 64-bit builds.
>>>
>>> The good news is that it works now. The bad news that it likely can't
>>> be incorporated upstream unmodified.
>>>
>>> The result can be seen here. Unfortunately, this doesn't break out my
>>> changes specifically, which makes it not all that helpful.
>>>
>>> https://github.com/Broadcom/stblinux-4.9/tree/master/buildroot
>>>
>>> I'll see if I can publish a tree where my changes haven't been all
>>> squashed together.
>>
>> Indeed. It really would be helpful if you could at least point your finger at the changes as I am really curious how you actually solved that problem an implemented multiarch support. Best would be, of course, a diff file with your changes against upstream buildroot.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jens
>>

> if you are not locked upon buildroot env, take a look at https://www.armbian.com/odroid-c2/
> from what I can understand it will allow you to run 32bit applications on an 64 bit env.

Thanks for the hint. But as I am happily maintaining a Smart Home platform (raspberrymatic.de) which is based on buildroot I really need to find a way in buildroot to support multiarch uses like I pointed out. And I really hope that Markus can point me in the rught direction how he actually implemented this himself. If possible, I could then potentially adapt his patch for Integration in mainline buildroot.

regards,
jens

* [Buildroot] aarch64 + armhf multiarch support?
@ 2018-02-12 15:49                         ` Jens Maus
From: Jens Maus @ 2018-02-12 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Markus,

> Am 10.02.2018 um 12:56 schrieb Jens Maus <mail@jens-maus.de>:
>
> Hi Dagg,
>
>> Am 10.02.2018 um 12:35 schrieb daggs <daggs@gmx.com>:
>>
>> if you are not locked upon buildroot env, take a look at https://www.armbian.com/odroid-c2/
>> from what I can understand it will allow you to run 32bit applications on an 64 bit env.
>
> Thanks for the hint. But as I am happily maintaining a Smart Home platform (raspberrymatic.de) which is based on buildroot I really need to find a way in buildroot to support multiarch uses like I pointed out. And I really hope that Markus can point me in the rught direction how he actually implemented this himself. If possible, I could then potentially adapt his patch for Integration in mainline buildroot.

Would you please be so kind and elaborating a bit more how you actually implemented 32bit armhf support in your aarch64 buildroot environment so that I can try to mimic this on my own buildroot environment.

thanks in advance.

jens
--

@ 2018-02-13  1:37                           ` Markus Mayer
From: Markus Mayer @ 2018-02-13  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 12 February 2018 at 07:49, Jens Maus <mail@jens-maus.de> wrote:
> Hi Markus,
>
>> Am 10.02.2018 um 12:56 schrieb Jens Maus <mail@jens-maus.de>:
>>
>> Hi Dagg,
>>
>>> Am 10.02.2018 um 12:35 schrieb daggs <daggs@gmx.com>:
>>>
>>> if you are not locked upon buildroot env, take a look at https://www.armbian.com/odroid-c2/
>>> from what I can understand it will allow you to run 32bit applications on an 64 bit env.
>>
>> Thanks for the hint. But as I am happily maintaining a Smart Home platform (raspberrymatic.de) which is based on buildroot I really need to find a way in buildroot to support multiarch uses like I pointed out. And I really hope that Markus can point me in the rught direction how he actually implemented this himself. If possible, I could then potentially adapt his patch for Integration in mainline buildroot.
>
> Would you please be so kind and elaborating a bit more how you actually implemented 32bit armhf support in your aarch64 buildroot environment so that I can try to mimic this on my own buildroot environment.
>
> thanks in advance.

Sorry, holiday today in British Columbia. I was out and about. I'll
send the changes as RFC patches tomorrow.

Regards,
-Markus

@ 2018-02-16  1:15                             ` Markus Mayer
From: Markus Mayer @ 2018-02-16  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 12 February 2018 at 17:37, Markus Mayer <mmayer@broadcom.com> wrote:
> On 12 February 2018 at 07:49, Jens Maus <mail@jens-maus.de> wrote:
>> Hi Markus,
>>
>>> Am 10.02.2018 um 12:56 schrieb Jens Maus <mail@jens-maus.de>:
>>>
>>> Hi Dagg,

>>> Thanks for the hint. But as I am happily maintaining a Smart Home platform (raspberrymatic.de) which is based on buildroot I really need to find a way in buildroot to support multiarch uses like I pointed out. And I really hope that Markus can point me in the rught direction how he actually implemented this himself. If possible, I could then potentially adapt his patch for Integration in mainline buildroot.
>>
>> Would you please be so kind and elaborating a bit more how you actually implemented 32bit armhf support in your aarch64 buildroot environment so that I can try to mimic this on my own buildroot environment.
>>
>> thanks in advance.
>
> Sorry, holiday today in British Columbia. I was out and about. I'll
> send the changes as RFC patches tomorrow.

I send the changes as patch series that can be found here:

http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2018-February/213913.html