* Re: Setting "RoamingAllowed" on by default; or storing persistently
@ 2019-07-23 23:23 ` Denis Kenzior
From: Denis Kenzior @ 2019-07-23 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Hi Tarmo,

On 7/24/19 9:15 AM, Tarmo Kuuse wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'd like for my device to automatically connect to 3G data in roaming
> wherever the GSM network permits it. I'd very much like to set this up
> as default during manufacturing regardless of the SIM inserted. ofono
> version 1.21 (debian buster).

Isn't this quite old?  I think we're up to 1.29 and we don't do releases
that often these days...

> I can tell ofono to enable roaming manually - either via the config file
> (e.g. /var/lib/ofono/248030010014875/gprs) or dbus interface (e.g.
> dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.ofono /quectel_0
> org.ofono.ConnectionManager.SetProperty string:"RoamingAllowed"
> variant:boolean:true), but it does not seem to be stored persistently.
> After a reboot ofono has disabled roaming again and the config file
> holds "RoamingAllowed=0".

If the method call is successful, then RoamingAllowed should be updated
on disk.  E.g. see src/gprs.c, we invoke storage_sync() right after
updating it.

Perhaps try running strace on ofonod and see why this fails?

> So my questions are:
> 1. can I set up ofono to always permit data connections in roaming?

Not at the moment.  oFono never had a concept of a main configuration
file.  But perhaps something like that could be introduced specifically
for this use case...

> 2. if not, can I at least store RoamingAllowed persistently per SIM card?

This should already work...

> As context: working on a 3G-equipped gateway device, factory-installed
> with a roaming-enabled SIM card and typically shipped to a foreign
> country (mostly within EU where data roaming incurs no penalty). It's
> rather desirable that 3G comes online without requiring any setup
> whatsoever once the gateway is powered on in destination country.

Regards,
-Denis

* Re: Setting "RoamingAllowed" on by default; or storing persistently
@ 2019-07-24  4:45     ` Denis Kenzior
From: Denis Kenzior @ 2019-07-24  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Hi Tarmo,

>>> 2. if not, can I at least store RoamingAllowed persistently per SIM
>>> card?
>>
>> This should already work...
>
> Thank you for the quick reply. I'll begin by upgrading ofono to see if
> the persistence starts to work for me.

I would doubt it.  The code in question has been in there way before
version 1.1.  Either your system is somehow strange (e.g. perhaps the fs
is not writable) or we have a bug somewhere...

Regards,
-Denis

* Setting "RoamingAllowed" on by default; or storing persistently
@ 2019-07-24 14:15 Tarmo Kuuse
From: Tarmo Kuuse @ 2019-07-24 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

--
Kind regards
Tarmo Kuuse

* Re: Setting "RoamingAllowed" on by default; or storing persistently
@ 2019-07-24 14:55   ` Tarmo Kuuse
From: Tarmo Kuuse @ 2019-07-24 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono