* Reshard is not stabilizing in latest master
@ 2016-12-08 21:38 Somnath Roy
From: Somnath Roy @ 2016-12-08 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil (sweil@redhat.com); +Cc: ceph-devel

Sage,
I am seeing reshard is not stabilizing even after I precondition an image with 4K seq. It was happening with 2 weeks old master. Anything change on that part of the code base recently ? Otherwise I need to debug.

Thanks & Regards
Somnath
PLEASE NOTE: The information contained in this electronic mail message is intended only for the use of the designated recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this message in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by telephone or e-mail (as shown above) immediately and destroy any and all copies of this message in your possession (whether hard copies or electronically stored copies).

* Re: Reshard is not stabilizing in latest master
@ 2016-12-09  1:00 ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2016-12-09  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Somnath Roy; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Thu, 8 Dec 2016, Somnath Roy wrote:
> Sage,
> I am seeing reshard is not stabilizing even after I precondition an image with 4K seq. It was happening with 2 weeks old master. Anything change on that part of the code base recently ? Otherwise I need to debug.

Nope.  If you have a cluster where it isn't stabilizing just turn on debug
bluestore = 20 for a minute and send me the log.

sage

* RE: Reshard is not stabilizing in latest master
@ 2016-12-09  2:44   ` Somnath Roy
From: Somnath Roy @ 2016-12-09  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel

Sage,
Please find it in the following location , it's a zipped file.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7W-S0z_ymMJd0V1XzVhQWR4ak0

What I found that the following shard length always comes below bluestore_extent_map_shard_min_size and triggering reshard.

2016-12-08 20:07:56.950527 7fe9140f7700 20 bluestore.extentmap(0x557183546d48) update shard 0x3ff000 is 25 bytes (was 25) from 1 extents

Thanks & Regards
Somnath

@ 2016-12-12 17:39     ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2016-12-12 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Somnath Roy; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Fri, 9 Dec 2016, Somnath Roy wrote:
> Sage,
> Please find it in the following location , it's a zipped file.
>
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7W-S0z_ymMJd0V1XzVhQWR4ak0
>

> What I found that the following shard length always comes below bluestore_extent_map_shard_min_size and triggering reshard.
>
> 2016-12-08 20:07:56.950527 7fe9140f7700 20 bluestore.extentmap(0x557183546d48) update shard 0x3ff000 is 25 bytes (was 25) from 1 extents

All of the instances are at offset 0x3ff000, which is right at the end of
the object.  I think we just need some special case code to handle when
the last little bit ends up being small, and pull it into the previous
shard (probably).

sage

@ 2016-12-12 17:46       ` Igor Fedotov
From: Igor Fedotov @ 2016-12-12 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil, Somnath Roy; +Cc: ceph-devel

yeah, I've got the same explanation 10 min ago.
PR is ready too:
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/12447

@ 2016-12-12 18:03         ` Somnath Roy
From: Somnath Roy @ 2016-12-12 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Igor Fedotov, Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel

Make sense , but, any idea why it is showing up now as it is not happening with old master ? What possibly I did to reproduce it, just curious.

Thanks & Regards
Somnath

@ 2016-12-13 13:43           ` Igor Fedotov
From: Igor Fedotov @ 2016-12-13 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Somnath Roy, Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel

Any changes in shards serialization or general encoding infra since that
time?

shard min/max size changes?

@ 2016-12-13 15:06             ` Varada Kari
From: Varada Kari @ 2016-12-13 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Igor Fedotov; +Cc: Somnath Roy, Sage Weil, ceph-devel

Somnath might be using some of config params to expedite the sharding
like max_blob_size etc.. along with some more configs. He shared them
in the call yesterday.

Varada

@ 2016-12-13 15:33               ` Somnath Roy
From: Somnath Roy @ 2016-12-13 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Varada Kari, Igor Fedotov; +Cc: Sage Weil, ceph-devel

Nope, using all default for shard related stuff. Regarding max blob size/max alloc size we discussed in the standups shouldn't affect shards.