* Re: Questions regarding of phosphor-pid-control
       [not found] <5a7988638ddf428cb8267d7e339cdbcf@lenovo.com>
@ 2019-07-15 17:01 ` Patrick Venture
From: Patrick Venture @ 2019-07-15 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Derek Lin23, James Feist; +Cc: Yonghui YH21 Liu, Harry Sung1, OpenBMC Maillist

On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 2:03 AM Derek Lin23 <dlin23@lenovo.com> wrote:

> Hi Patrick:

Adding the openbmc mailing list.  Please always include this mailing list
in your emails for archiving and later reference as well as opening up the
question to others.

Also adding James Feist as he co-maintains this codebase.

>           This is Derek from Lenovo BMC team.
>
>           We have some questions regarding of phosphos-pid-control
> <https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-pid-control>, and we hope you can
> provide some advice of the component.
>

>           Currently, we would like to import phosphor-pid-control as our
> thermal fan control module. After a brief study, we would like to know if
> phosphor-pid-control can support open-loop and event-triggered events?

I don't really know what open-loop means in this context.  Registering for
events, like?

> Thank you for your feedbacks,
>

> Derek
> ------------------------------
>
> *Derek Lin*
> Sr. BMC Engineer
> 8F,66, San Chong Rd., Nankang Software Park, Taipei.
> Lenovo Taiwan
>
> [image: Phone]+886281707411
> [image: Email]dlin23@lenovo.com <dlin23@lenovo.com>
>

> Lenovo.com <http://www.lenovo.com/>
> Twitter <http://twitter.com/lenovo> | Instagram
> <https://instagram.com/lenovo> | Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/lenovo>
>  | Linkedin <http://www.linkedin.com/company/lenovo> | YouTube
> <http://www.youtube.com/lenovovision> | Privacy
> <https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/privacy-selector/>
>
> [image: ImageLogo-DCG-Honeycomb]

[-- Attachment #2: image001.gif --]
[-- Type: image/gif, Size: 92 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: image002.gif --]
[-- Type: image/gif, Size: 128 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #4: image003.gif --]
[-- Type: image/gif, Size: 14774 bytes --]

* RE: [External]  Re: Questions regarding of phosphor-pid-control
@ 2019-07-18  2:40   ` Derek Lin23
From: Derek Lin23 @ 2019-07-18  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Venture, James Feist
  Cc: Yonghui YH21 Liu, Harry Sung1, OpenBMC Maillist, Andrew MS1 Peng,
	Lisa YJ19 Liu, Haitao HT11 Wang, Xiaohan XH6 Xu

Hi Patrick:

          The open-loop in this context is more likely to set duty of PWM manually.
          For example, when reading a sensor above or below a certain pre-defined temperature, then the duty of a PWM is revved up or lower to the desired fan-speed.
          More likely, PWM is set simply by the reading of a temperature sensor. A map of temperature readings and PWM values can be represented as an example.

Thank you,

Derek

________________________________

Derek Lin
Sr. BMC Engineer
8F,66, San Chong Rd., Nankang Software Park, Taipei.
Lenovo Taiwan

[Phone]+886281707411
[Email]dlin23@lenovo.com<mailto:dlin23@lenovo.com>

@ 2019-07-18 17:57     ` James Feist
From: James Feist @ 2019-07-18 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Derek Lin23, Patrick Venture
  Cc: Yonghui YH21 Liu, Harry Sung1, OpenBMC Maillist, Andrew MS1 Peng,

On 7/17/19 7:40 PM, Derek Lin23 wrote:
> Hi Patrick:
>
>            The open-loop in this context is more likely to set duty of
> PWM manually.
>
>            For example, when reading a sensor above or below a certain
> pre-defined temperature, then the duty of a PWM is revved up or lower to
> the desired fan-speed.

You could use stepwise configurations to get this response. Here's an
example of a lower clipping curve that when the reading of the sensor is
20, outputs 50%, and when it reads 30 outputs 60%.

https://github.com/openbmc/entity-manager/blob/9813279b57359bd1602da236ff7d38bcc9a2fba4/configurations/R2000%20Chassis.json#L428

This is also configurable from the json I believe.

@ 2019-07-26  9:18       ` Derek Lin23
From: Derek Lin23 @ 2019-07-26  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Feist, Patrick Venture
  Cc: Yonghui YH21 Liu, Harry Sung1, OpenBMC Maillist, Andrew MS1 Peng,
	Lisa YJ19 Liu, Haitao HT11 Wang, Xiaohan XH6 Xu, Duke KH Du

Hi Patrick & James:

	Would you please identify when'll this feature being completed?
	Or do you have a plan for this feature?

	https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-pid-control/issues/2

Thanks,

Derek

@ 2019-07-29 15:30         ` Patrick Venture
From: Patrick Venture @ 2019-07-29 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Derek Lin23
  Cc: James Feist, Yonghui YH21 Liu, Harry Sung1, OpenBMC Maillist,
	Andrew MS1 Peng, Lisa YJ19 Liu, Haitao HT11 Wang, Xiaohan XH6 Xu,
	Duke KH Du

On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 2:18 AM Derek Lin23 <dlin23@lenovo.com> wrote:

> Hi Patrick & James:
>
>         Would you please identify when'll this feature being completed?
>         Or do you have a plan for this feature?
>
>         https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-pid-control/issues/2

I currently don't have it on my calendar.  James, do you?

for a non-dbus-configured system, we end up using waits in the service
file for the various sensors upon which we depend to show up on dbus.
IIRC< the goal of the feature would be to no longer need that, but
rather create the dbus sensors even if nobody owns them, and just try
on read or every few reads to actually register the listening for
updates...  And just return a bad sensor reading until that happens --
but, what is a bad sensor reading, universally?

@ 2019-07-29 16:11           ` James Feist
From: James Feist @ 2019-07-29 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Venture, Derek Lin23
  Cc: Duke KH Du, Andrew MS1 Peng, OpenBMC Maillist, Harry Sung1,
	Xiaohan XH6 Xu, Haitao HT11 Wang, Yonghui YH21 Liu,
	Lisa YJ19 Liu

On 7/29/19 8:30 AM, Patrick Venture wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 2:18 AM Derek Lin23 <dlin23@lenovo.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Patrick & James:
>>
>>          Would you please identify when'll this feature being completed?
>>          Or do you have a plan for this feature?
>>
>>          https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-pid-control/issues/2
>
> I currently don't have it on my calendar.  James, do you?

No I don't. The dbus-configured system reloads itself when new sensors
are discovered, and all sensors are passive.. so I'm not sure it is
relatable.