* Re: Qemu Display Coacoa Patch Serie Qemu 9.0 RC1
       [not found] <26c7f97e9ce7fc10de24da84aa10638a@mail.emailn.de>
@ 2024-03-28 21:44 ` BALATON Zoltan
From: BALATON Zoltan @ 2024-03-28 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rene Engel; +Cc: qemu-devel, marcandre.lureau, akihiko.odaki, kraxel, balaton

On Thu, 28 Mar 2024, Rene Engel wrote:
> I wanted to discuss this topic with you again, there was already a patch series that worked well under Qemu with
> Pegasos2/AmigaOneXe/Same460 and AmigaOs4.1. The option zoom-to-fit=on should be used to adjust all resolutions provided by the guest
> system to the aspect ratio if there are no Virtio GPU drivers available that allow this.
>
> In my opinion exactly this option zoom-to-fit=on makes this possible. If you don't want to use this option you still have the possibility
> to deactivate it. In Qemu 9.0 RC1 not all resolutions are stretched like in previous patches e.g. 640x480/800x600/1024x720 etc. but this
> is exactly what we need for the Pegasos2/AmigaOneXe/Same460 machine with AmigaOs4.1.

There seems to be a bit of confusion about how this zoom-to-fit option is
implemented by different -display backends and I'm not sure what is the
intended behaviour or how other -display backends handle it. Maybe a
single option is not even enough to describe all possible preferences so
another one i.e. keep-aspect=true|false may also be needed to cover all
possible settings (don't zoom, zoom with aspect ratio kept, zoom to fit
window even if that stretches the picture out of aspect ratio). For 9.0
ptobsbly we should go for consistency with other backends now as adding
new options is not possible during freeze and then resolve this
afterwards.

> There are also problems within the resolutions with the mouse pointer
> where the screen output flickers it currently affects all patch series.
> I would be happy if we could find a solution for all this.

The flicker may be due to the resize algorithm used by macOS not giving
the same result always. To resolve it maybe yet another option may be
needed to not zoom to full available window but try to keep the zoom
factor some integer value to avoid fractional scaling but I'm not sure
that's the best way to solve it.

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan

@ 2024-03-29  4:40   ` Akihiko Odaki
From: Akihiko Odaki @ 2024-03-29  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BALATON Zoltan, Rene Engel; +Cc: qemu-devel, marcandre.lureau, kraxel

On 2024/03/29 6:44, BALATON Zoltan wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Mar 2024, Rene Engel wrote:
>> I wanted to discuss this topic with you again, there was already a
>> patch series that worked well under Qemu with
>> Pegasos2/AmigaOneXe/Same460 and AmigaOs4.1. The option zoom-to-fit=on
>> should be used to adjust all resolutions provided by the guest
>> system to the aspect ratio if there are no Virtio GPU drivers
>> available that allow this.
>>
>> In my opinion exactly this option zoom-to-fit=on makes this possible.
>> If you don't want to use this option you still have the possibility
>> to deactivate it. In Qemu 9.0 RC1 not all resolutions are stretched
>> like in previous patches e.g. 640x480/800x600/1024x720 etc. but this
>> is exactly what we need for the Pegasos2/AmigaOneXe/Same460 machine
>> with AmigaOs4.1.
>
> There seems to be a bit of confusion about how this zoom-to-fit option
> is implemented by different -display backends and I'm not sure what is
> the intended behaviour or how other -display backends handle it. Maybe a
> single option is not even enough to describe all possible preferences so
> another one i.e. keep-aspect=true|false may also be needed to cover all
> possible settings (don't zoom, zoom with aspect ratio kept, zoom to fit
> window even if that stretches the picture out of aspect ratio). For 9.0
> ptobsbly we should go for consistency with other backends now as adding
> new options is not possible during freeze and then resolve this afterwards.

It is indeed something that requires a new flag like zoom-interpolation.

>> There are also problems within the resolutions with the mouse pointer
>> where the screen output flickers it currently affects all patch
>> series. I would be happy if we could find a solution for all this.
>
> The flicker may be due to the resize algorithm used by macOS not giving
> the same result always. To resolve it maybe yet another option may be
> needed to not zoom to full available window but try to keep the zoom
> factor some integer value to avoid fractional scaling but I'm not sure
> that's the best way to solve it.

Flickering sounds more like a bug. I appreciate if you can share some
recording.

Regards,
Akihiko Odaki