* How to create a btrfs snapshot in the rootfs image?
@ 2020-02-22 16:50 fntoth
From: fntoth @ 2020-02-22 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi all,

I am able to generate a rootfs image of type btrfs.
Btrfs supports subvolumes, for instance with name @.

Using subvolumes instead of partitions allow more efficient use of the
emmc compared to separate partitions. And it allows multiple versions of
the rootfs in the same pool.

Manually I can create a subvolume (on the host) by loop mounting the
btrfs image and taking the snapshot. Something like this:
mkdir tmp
sudo mount edison-image.btrfs tmp
sudo btrfs subvolume snapshot tmp tmp/@

and then remove all dir's in root except @.

mount and btrfs operations need root permissions AFAIK. Is there any way
to add these to the recipe?

There is 2nd thing I want to achieve:
Btrfs can send / receive these snapshots allowing over-the-air-updates.

For this I need to:
sudo btrfs subvolume snapshot -r tmp/@ tmp/@ota
sudo btrfs send tmp/@ota > edison-image.snapshot

And then later manually (with the device having mounted btrfs on /mnt):

cat edison-image.snapshot | ssh root@edison "btrfs receive /mnt"
ssh root@edison "btrfs property set -ts /mnt/@ota ro false"

How do I automated the first steps in yocto?

Ferry

* Re: How to create a btrfs snapshot in the rootfs image (during build)?
@ 2020-02-29 16:00 ` Ferry Toth
From: Ferry Toth @ 2020-02-29 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Gentle ping

* Re: How to create a btrfs snapshot in the rootfs image (during build)?
@ 2020-03-13 20:19   ` Gmane Admin
From: Gmane Admin @ 2020-03-13 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Self answering below.

Op 22-02-2020 om 16:06 schreef Ferry Toth:
 > Hi all,
 >
 > I am able to generate a rootfs image of type btrfs.
 > Btrfs supports subvolumes, for instance with name @.
 >
 > Using subvolumes instead of partitions allow more efficient use of
the emmc compared to separate partitions. And it allows multiple
versions of the rootfs in the same pool.

 > Manually I can create a subvolume (on the host) by loop mounting the
btrfs image and taking the snapshot. Something like this:
 > mkdir tmp
 > sudo mount edison-image.btrfs tmp
 > sudo btrfs subvolume snapshot tmp tmp/@
 >
 > and then remove all dir's in root except @.
 >
 > mount and btrfs operations need root permissions AFAIK. Is there any
way to add these to the recipe?

Up to now I found I can use udisksctl to mount the image as ordinary user.

However, to create a snapshot it appears I need to own the root
directory and for that would need an option like mke2fs -E root_owner.

As that doesn't exist, the only workaround I find is to create an ext4
partition with -E root_owner and then convert to btrfs.

Is there really no better way?